ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble Watch

SpiderDogg

Letter Winner
Dec 24, 2017
Thought we could use a thread for people to discuss projected brackets. It’s definitely confusing with many pundits declaring us as the auto-Bid with the one seed, and it seems we’re not even on the bubble for others. Curious if anyone has found some recent commentary on our bubble chances after the VCU win?

No one is talking about our bubble chances because we are the autobid. Not sure if that works to our favor or not.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
The pundits/bracketologists determine the field these days. . The committee are just pawns to the Joe Lunardi/Palm types. They wouldnt dare go against their predictions.
BUT wouldnt it be great if they went against those analyst no it alls and picked 5 or 6 unexpected teams? Great thought but not going to happen.

Last edited:
I think it much harder to get into bubble consideration than it is to get yourself out of it. Listened to some of our coaches show last night, which you think would be a perfect chance to bring up our bubble chances. I didn't hear the whole show so maybe it was discussed but the parts I heard were Bob interviewing Jordan with his typical aw shucks questions.

We HAVE to start creating our own buzz. Mooney, our social media, Hardt if he can pull himself away from the buffet line, all have got to start using their voices to promote our cause. If we can promote ourselves, why should we expect anyone else to.

I think it much harder to get into bubble consideration than it is to get yourself out of it. Listened to some of our coaches show last night, which you think would be a perfect chance to bring up our bubble chances. I didn't hear the whole show so maybe it was discussed but the parts I heard were Bob interviewing Jordan with his typical aw shucks questions.

We HAVE to start creating our own buzz. Mooney, our social media, Hardt if he can pull himself away from the buffet line, all have got to start using their voices to promote our cause. If we can promote ourselves, why should we expect anyone else to.
Hell we should start doing it.

Exactly. Success in November gets way too much credit. Some teams get worse, some teams get much better. That should be a factor.
That's why the committee used to place weight on the last 10(?) as a special metric and probably still do unofficially. Come in with 21 wins out of the last 24 with a Win over Dayton plus other solid wins and a great road record + regular season champs, and they can't deny us! Just keep winning, baby!

That's why the committee used to place weight on the last 10(?) as a special metric and probably still do unofficially. Come in with 21 wins out of the last 24 with a Win over Dayton plus other solid wins and a great road record + regular season champs, and they can't deny us! Just keep winning, baby!
I hope you are right but it seems the committee would have to go against every analyst out there. Which I think would be great, of course, but not sure they have the guts to do it. I believe at this point, the committee may view the pundits as being more knowledgable than them.

No one is talking about our bubble chances because we are the autobid. Not sure if that works to our favor or not.
I hadn't considered this as a possibility. Interesting. I wonder if we are theoretically being included with teams these guys are weighing for their bubble watches or not, regardless of our current standing in the league? I would assume so but maybe not.

I think the problem here is that we seem to be slotted into the 12 seed and Dayton is way higher in most watches (7 seed). This suggests that the only reason we are in is because we are the automatic qualifier place holder until the A-10 tourney actually happens. I suppose a case could be made that we are a 12 seed because we are close to being in/out, but I don't see much evidence of that, especially if you look at the "locks/should be in/work to do" lists and see that we are not in the discussion. Of course, I agree with those who think that we definitely deserve to be in the discussion and that the culprit is the slavish adherence to the NET's silly algorithm. I do think, thought, that things change fast on the bubble at the very end of the season and that we might be able to play ourselves into the discussion and possibly the tournament if we keep it up.

I hate to say this because I think we deserve better if we win out and make the tourney final, but my sense is we have zero shot at an at-large. Reality is that we have nothing really to hang our hats on except our A-10 performance. Our OOC schedule and performance against that schedule don't look like a tourney team at all. And I don't think the A-10 carries any weight whatsoever. The committee has bypassed non P6 (including Big East) teams with big records and conference championships and more impressive OOC accomplishments for years. You watch - - this year will be even worse because the Big 12 "controversy" is going to prompt committee to give all the other P6 conferences benefit of doubt and more bids so they won't cry about/expose the f'd up Net system!

Well I don't profess to know, but I have an opinion of what they will do.

And I'd agree - - - just keep winning all the way out and don't even give them the chance to keep us out!

I hate to say this because I think we deserve better if we win out and make the tourney final, but my sense is we have zero shot at an at-large. Reality is that we have nothing really to hang our hats on except our A-10 performance. Our OOC schedule and performance against that schedule don't look like a tourney team at all. And I don't think the A-10 carries any weight whatsoever. The committee has bypassed non P6 (including Big East) teams with big records and conference championships and more impressive OOC accomplishments for years. You watch - - this year will be even worse because the Big 12 "controversy" is going to prompt committee to give all the other P6 conferences benefit of doubt and more bids so they won't cry about/expose the f'd up Net system!
Has a Big East regular season champ been left out?

Somehow get into low 60s NET, lose to Dayton in the final, committee sends us to Dayton. That’s path B, I prefer path A.

Anyone able to come up with a list of potential Bid stealers? Not too worried about JMU and App state sunbelt, our resume is better than theirs. But McNese, Drake , Princeton have a shot? Teams from other leagues?

Need to root against South FLorida at this point. Ranked now because they are 14-1 in American even though NET is in 80’s. They will get a bid over us at this point I think if they run table to finals

Lots of teams around the bubble lose. Wake loses 3rd game in a row at home vs GA Tech, see ya. Cinci, Syracuse, K State, Ole Miss also all lose. Each of these teams mentioned outside of the bubble

Out of the 69 teams in the NET ranked above us only 22 have a better record. On the otherhand, only 4 teams below us in the NET have a better record than us.

Reactions: urfan1
Out of the 69 teams in the NET ranked above us only 22 have a better record. On the otherhand, only 4 teams below us in the NET have a better record than us.
What does that say about the NET? Does it validate the system or diminish it in your opinion?

Lots of teams around the bubble lose. Wake loses 3rd game in a row at home vs GA Tech, see ya. Cinci, Syracuse, K State, Ole Miss also all lose. Each of these teams mentioned outside of the bubble

I wanted Cinci to win that game. Cinci still out if won. But Oklahoma would have been ultimate test case. A loss made them 7-10 in b12 w road game to end season. At 7-9 going in they were a 9 & 10 seeds in palm & Lunardi. 7-10 should not be in. 7-11 no chance. But got lucky & won. I still think they should be out if lose to TX then drop 1st game in b12. Overvalued like others. But that win hurt us (8-9 vs 7-10 swing in b12 standings) or other bubbles bc a team solidly in all of a sudden goes out imo with work to do.

I hope we win A10 tourney to guarantee bid and potentially best seed. But there is still small path to at large. & UNLV is tied for 2nd in MWC. They r not taking all those Mwc teams over us if we do what’s needed. I’d love to prove Mitch’s brother, Jon Cumstein, wrong.

Assuming we get the 1 seed - then its looking like we would need to beat VCU or UMASS to make the A10 finals. That doesn't really help us. I think the best path - which is not possible for an at-large bid would have been if Dayton fell to 4th and we got to play them before the finals - beating them might have given us another push we needed. BUT - I think if we make the A10 finals, we might get thrown into that "Next four out" category (not first four out).

What is bad for the A10 - this could be the first year the A10 has an outright league champion - UR, that doesn't make the NCAA tourney, assuming we don't win the A10 tourney. That would be a bad sign for the league going forward as that is the epitome of a 1 bid league.

Assuming we get the 1 seed - then its looking like we would need to beat VCU or UMASS to make the A10 finals. That doesn't really help us. I think the best path - which is not possible for an at-large bid would have been if Dayton fell to 4th and we got to play them before the finals - beating them might have given us another push we needed. BUT - I think if we make the A10 finals, we might get thrown into that "Next four out" category (not first four out).

What is bad for the A10 - this could be the first year the A10 has an outright league champion - UR, that doesn't make the NCAA tourney, assuming we don't win the A10 tourney. That would be a bad sign for the league going forward as that is the epitome of a 1 bid league.
I wonder if the seeds will be
4 SBU
5 UMass
6 VCU
7 Duquesne
8 St Joe
9 GMU

Reactions: Section9.RowD

Thinking Bonne will end up getting the 4 seed over Mass - they have 2 pretty seemingly easy games left and have the tiebreakers I believe over VCU/Mass ..

Reactions: Eight Legger
What does that say about the NET? Does it validate the system or diminish it in your opinion
It's just disappointing. It says we didn't schedule well enough unfortunately, and we didn't take care of business efficiently enough against the schedule we had. It says that margins are overweighted as I've stated all along. They should be there, but they count too much.

I love this team. They've played so hard down the stretch and they deserve a bid! Let's make it to the finals without another loss and then we're in!

Reactions: AnnapSpider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT