ADVERTISEMENT

MICHIGAN, FLORIDA, NEBRASKA

WebSpinner

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 7, 2003
three of the top football programs in the country are looking for a new man. the same old consulting firm that gave these three the guys they just fired, will probably be retained to do it all over again. all have fan bases which expect national championships or at least conference championships, nothing less. how many good, make that great, guys are out there?

They should hire the Coastal Coach, preferably before Saturday!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Go Spiders.

Are Nebraska and Michigan really top programs anymore? No. They are living in the past.

Florida could be a top program again.

It is all about location and what have you done recently. Nebraska and Michigan need not apply.

how about southern cal or tennessee or texas, all big time programs have had bad times, that does not mean their days are over but they do have to find a top guy to get them back where they once were. yes, feel that michigan and nebraska are still top programs but have a flat right now, just needs to be fixed.

USC and Texas will be fine. I am less convinced of Tenn but they are in the SEC so that will help lots. There is a difference between hiring the wrong coach (USC with Kiffin) or keeping one too long (Brown at Texas) and the situation that either Nebraska or Michigan are currently in. Tradition does not matter, just look at the Top 10. What tradition does TCU, Baylor, Oregon, Airzona, Miss St, or KS St have beyond the past 10 years? None. Will they all continue to be successful in the next 10 years yes except KS St because Snyder will retire sometime and he is the only coach that has done anything there.

As much as this might pain me but Colin Cowherd has this correct and was talking about it at great lengths during the lunch hour today. A 17-18 year old 4 or 5 star recruit would rather go to a school that is sunny, has good looking girls, closer to home, in a small college town than go to cold Ann Arbor, or cornfield filled Lincoln.

Do you need further proof than Rich Rodriguez that traditional northern (i.e. Big Ten) schools cannot compete with southern tier schools??? Arizona's tradition is nothing compared to UM but he has built that up quickly.

gosh, is michigan st in michigan or florida, rainy, wet, cold oregon in florida, ohio st in florida, oklahoma in florida? some of that rings true, am not denying it but plenty of good teams are not in the sunny south. if ohio st can do it, michigan can do it, if kansas st can do it, nebraska, can certainly do it. even big time, former national champs can fall on hard times, even florida and florida st and they are located where........wait for it......florida. is obvious that any school can fall on hard times with the wrong guy at the helm and can get it back too. not saying it is easier now than then but those schools have tradition, the fans, the money, the conference and they just need the right guy running the program, no matter where they are located.

Originally posted by 97Spider:
Are Nebraska and Michigan really top programs anymore? No. They are living in the past.

Florida could be a top program again.

It is all about location and what have you done recently. Nebraska and Michigan need not apply.
The Colin Cowherd argument. I don't buy it. Ohio State is a dominant program. Michigan St. has been pretty good the past few years. Wisconsin has a pretty nice program. Michigan and Nebraska are one good hire away from being really good again.

Dave Clawson's name being mentioned right now for the surprising opening at Wisconsin (from SI.com):

Paul Chryst, Greg Schiano, Dave Clawson and Justin Fuente are among those being speculated as potential candidates to replace Andersen.

Working under the shadow of AD Alvarez at Wisconsin ain't fun.Ask the guy at Arkansas and now Anderson.AD Alvarez to coach Badgers at Outback Bowl on Jan 1 in TPA.Will be there with LA daughters cheering for Auburn.

This post was edited on 12/11 2:43 PM by 32counter

Alvarez shadow in Badger land

don't think DC's philosophy fits in with the boss there, probably is not a serious candidate. a top 3-5 program in the big 10,11,12, should not be losing coaches they aren't firing. the coaches departing have been successful but are leaving to go to lower programs so someone in madison better wake up and figure out what is going on there.

There is a difference between pretty good and top. Nebraska and Michigan are the same as Notre Dame. They are living in the past. Nebraska hired a coach that has had 2 winning seasons in the past 5 years (and one of those required a bowl win over Hawaii). Is that the definition of "top program"? Michigan cannot even convince a prominent alum (Harbaugh) to come coach them. Same coach at Arizona is having incredible success at a school known for basketball not football. Fired by Michigan...

Ohio State is different. They have arguably the 2nd best head coach in college football whom has an incredible home state (best in Big 10) for recruiting and great contacts in Florida. Yes they will fall back a bit if they do not hire a great coach after Urban.

I do agree with Cowherd and some of his arguments in this situation. Convince me otherwise unlike Cowherd I am open to new thoughts.

Also ask yourself this, where is the best HS football talent and does it want to go to Lincoln or East Lansing?

Nebraska, Michigan, etc. didn't just become cold wet snowy places ....or did they. Now they can blame climate change.

no question that the sec has dominated football in recent years but every top school recruits florida, those kids are on every team in the nation, obviously not in the numbers like in the sec. top programs can remain top programs but they have to have a very good coach, even an average coach can screw up a great program, see usc, florida, alabama, tennessee, michigan, florida state, penn state for example. there is something to be said for the sunshine states but it can be done anywhere, see oregon, for example where a change in offensive philosophy was golden for the ducks. top five conference teams, most of them, will be able to rise to the top with the right coach, see oregon, miss st, ole miss, ucla, mich st, kansas st, rutgers

Originally posted by 97Spider:
There is a difference between pretty good and top. Nebraska and Michigan are the same as Notre Dame. They are living in the past. Nebraska hired a coach that has had 2 winning seasons in the past 5 years (and one of those required a bowl win over Hawaii). Is that the definition of "top program"? Michigan cannot even convince a prominent alum (Harbaugh) to come coach them. Same coach at Arizona is having incredible success at a school known for basketball not football. Fired by Michigan...

Ohio State is different. They have arguably the 2nd best head coach in college football whom has an incredible home state (best in Big 10) for recruiting and great contacts in Florida. Yes they will fall back a bit if they do not hire a great coach after Urban.

I do agree with Cowherd and some of his arguments in this situation. Convince me otherwise unlike Cowherd I am open to new thoughts.

Also ask yourself this, where is the best HS football talent and does it want to go to Lincoln or East Lansing?
I don't disagree with the general premise of your argument (and it's not that these places all of a sudden became cold/rainy/snowy/dreary places - it's that the game has largely changed, and youth today don't want the same things as the youth of yesteryear). To counter your point though, I would point to the 2013 recruiting class rankings - 3 of the top 5 schools, per Rivals, were ND, UM and OSU. All cold, crappy places past October. Re: ND living in the past - they did play for a national title just two years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT