ADVERTISEMENT

Media Discussion of Spider Hoops

A disdain for those with thinner wallets is all too common in and around our athletic boosters. It sustains an ugly stereotype about our fan base.

Interestingly, my business partner is a fat-wallet of similar age (to them), and shows no such traits. He thinks Mooney should be gone, and we only have a couple A10 caliber players. He knows more of the same is coming, but he's not giving up his season tickets. He gave away all but the VCU game this year.

Seriously,23,my fellow Nutmeger.Mooney gets a semi pass this year.
Next year critical.Help him find recruits to fill at least 1 maybe 2 spots.
The kid from Marionapolis is a good player in his league but he ain’t a panacea to get into NCAAs.
Yes, I like the looks of Burton - but don't see him being a difference maker in year 1. I do have a solid failure rate on judging on a 3 minute highlight tape. I wanted to go see him play this year but was at 4-5 games a week already. Can't say I agree on Mooney getting a pass. We may have won a couple more games with Sherod, but that is all. I just don't have confidence in Mooney's coaching ability. I guess the Beilein's and Tarrant's set a high ceiling for some of us.

Reactions: gospidersgo
"We improved a great deal."

Keep telling a lie often enough, you start to believe it.

Is this improving a great deal?

0-4 finish...

blow out loss to goo moos
another ho hum loss to make mooney 6-18 to our city rival in a game we led for 30 secs
convincing loss to bottom dweller UMass who had 3 other league wins total
season finale loss choking multiple double digit leads to avoid Wed play in game

Is this improving a great deal?

0-4 finish...

blow out loss to goo moos
another ho hum loss to make mooney 6-18 to our city rival in a game we led for 30 secs
convincing loss to bottom dweller UMass who had 3 other league wins total
season finale loss choking multiple double digit leads to avoid Wed play in game

If "goalpost moving" was a collegiate sport, I would support signing Mooney to a 10 year contract to coach my school's team.

Mooney looks and sounds checked out and lethargic. “We got better, Nick got hurt, We got better, Nick got hurt, We are young, We got better......”

Reactions: gospidersgo
We played with tremendous energy, great effort, really competed.

Rinse, repeat ... blah, blah, blah

Reactions: SpiderK
You have to wonder who CM is speaking to. It can't be to people who actually went to the games and/or watched all the games this year. There are plenty of people on this board who did not watch and have given their reasons on why. After enduring this season, I agree with most of them. Here are my random end of season thoughts. Not that any of them matter, but this is a discussion forum after all.

1) Buckingham and Fore leaving definitely caused unexpected chaos. Somewhat unexpectedly CM and staff did manage to fill the roster with players that were better than many they have recruited over the last few years.

2) The team still hasn't mastered the match-up zone defense. The "improvement" is the fact that CM did finally decide to mix up the defenses played. I would say man to man is the best defense for them, but there are plenty of matchup issues with numerous A10 teams.

3) Specifically on defense, the team cannot defend the 3. I am not going to invest the time, but it sure seemed like many teams had A10 conference highs in 3 pt % against us. Oddly, the last game seemed to be the best in this department. I think this is an outlier vs a sign of improvement.

4) Also in defense, the team cannot stop a good drive to the basket. It seems like there is an aversion to getting a foul call across the board and any resulting foul is weak (I didn't mean to do that). The only player who doesn't operate this way is JJ.

5) On offense, the team cannot play against a zone. If the opposition has a good zone defense, then UR is in trouble.

6) If a team doesn't play zone, then the offense can be very good.

7) Free throws are a weakness and teams are exploiting it.

8) Crowd support was very good especially since the team won less than half of its home games.

9) The student section is almost non-existent. As a basketball fan, I find this to be the most depressing part.

10) Because of all of the negative parts of the list above, the team is not better. But the team is definitely more experienced and with a couple more "known entities" in the mix next year, the team will be deeper. Does that return the team to its 2011 performance level? I am afraid not.

The environment on this board and amongst our own fans right now is exactly why we need a coaching change. We should be discussing our matchup in the conference tournament or when everyone is traveling up to Brooklyn or our possible NCAA seed. I really don’t give a damn who has the power or the $. I just want to see my alma mater get back to playing meaningful basketball games in March. And I realize that I’m just a “powerless fan” ranting on a message board but I’m tired of feeling like nobody in charge really cares. 8 straight years of no tournament proves that to me.

I was just wondering how soon it would be until Hardt either fires Mooney or issues a statement of support. Then I realized that the season isn’t officially over with. That’s how bad this has become for me. I used to never miss a televised game, and now I DVR them. I hate that I have become apathetic. Change is long overdue.

The environment on this board and amongst our own fans right now is exactly why we need a coaching change. We should be discussing our matchup in the conference tournament or when everyone is traveling up to Brooklyn or our possible NCAA seed. I really don’t give a damn who has the power or the $. I just want to see my alma mater get back to playing meaningful basketball games in March. And I realize that I’m just a “powerless fan” ranting on a message board but I’m tired of feeling like nobody in charge really cares. 8 straight years of no tournament proves that to me.
Captain, well said. Mooney is the most divisive figure in my time following Richmond basketball. If he comes back it is going to be a death sentence on the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderK and wr70beh
Typical Basketball Board nonsense.No one has any weight nor cache.Anyone not renewing tix next season,who cares.Mosquitio on a $2,500,000,000 enterprise.The continuing nonsense among the girlie boys is irrelevant.
Unfortunately, you are right on as far the attitude of the administration and the athletic department toward season ticket holders (the mosquitoes)and fans who have cared and supported the programs over the years. To quote Rhett Butler " Frankly my dear I don't give a damn". Their arrogance and pretentiousness are unquestioned.

@32counter, I agree with you that Mooney will be back despite what angry fans and alums think or want. I do think the ranks of the angry are growing after each disappointing loss and soon they will be the majority of our fanbase, if not already. Do you personally think we need a coaching change? I'm asking this realizing that Mooney has years left on his large contract, etc and with no knowledge of his buyout terms. Just in a vacuum, do you think we need a change? Not a loaded question I promise, I'm just curious to hear opinions from all sides and I can't tell if you even have an opinion on the matter past "The fans have no power"...which I agree with in our case.

Captain, well said. Mooney is the most divisive figure in my time following Richmond basketball. If he comes back it is going to be a death sentence on the program.
This is hyperbole. There are plenty of people who will still go and support, and plenty of the same posters discussing Spider basketball on this board next year. The program will not die.

This is hyperbole. There are plenty of people who will still go and support, and plenty of the same posters discussing Spider basketball on this board next year. The program will not die.
As Chance, the Gardener said, "As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden. In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."

As Chance, the Gardener said, "As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden. In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."

Nuclear winter lasts pretty long though from what I understand.

Mooney ain’t going anywhere.Get over it,girlie boys.
Because he's preformed so well?
Oh by the way name calling.... don't you think that's a little childish? You always know when someone is losing an argument when they resort to name calling.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Its been dying for awhile now. There are many teams in D1 that actually play basketball but for all intents and purposes is actually a dead program.

You're really going to die on the hill of criticizing police officers? Why do you suppose they "double dip"? Because they just love working security jobs after their normal shifts? Or maybe, possibly, because they get paid s--t to risk their lives defending ungrateful people like you everyday?

Reactions: urfan1 and Vcewe
Mooney ain’t going anywhere.Get over it,girlie boys.

Ok tough guy...Ill I bite:

1) Do you agree with a hypothetical decision that Mooney will be retained?
2) If yes, explain why Mooney would be better than any other available coach out there.
3) if it's the money keeping Mooney here next year, why do you think that would hinder us and not any other program that wants to play with the big boys?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT