ADVERTISEMENT

Media Discussion of Spider Hoops

https://espnrichmond.com/6244/11-12-black-drew/

Second hour of the Black and Drew show today is a good listen.

Drew bringing the.....passion? He's not wrong in his analysis as an outside observer (things have to change), but that's a great example of Richmond Sports Talk radio - emotionless lukewarm takes. Maybe it's just our athletic program that brings out the blandness in hosts. Bob at least was honest and said he didn't see it coming, but as far as him saying they're working on it - I'm skeptical.

Didn't see it coming? WTF. Look at our preseason work outs. Then google some of Gregg Marshall's drills. He is out there demanding players work hard every minute, unlike Mooney playing Mr. calm and collective. Come on, let's move on. We all know the only thing saving his job is PQ and the bromance. Let's be real here. Please.

Speaking of lukewarm, what the hell has happened to Greg Burtons show? I used to listen when our teams were relevant. Now, nobody "calls or texts or tweets" and he just blabbers for the entire time. Spent roughly a minute on Mooney today.

Seems like Greg is just "playing out the string" with that program now.

I thought drew was fine. He called out the problem and didn’t give any pass to CM. I like that he said they need to go .800 in OOC or it’s time to change. So that’s 10-3 since I don’t think we can mathematically go .800.

Bob sounded beaten. Tough spot for him to be in to defend that clown show.

I thought drew was fine. He called out the problem and didn’t give any pass to CM. I like that he said they need to go .800 in OOC or it’s time to change. So that’s 10-3 since I don’t think we can mathematically go .800.

Bob sounded beaten. Tough spot for him to be in to defend that clown show.

I liked the .800, though it kind of came out of nowhere. While Bob was saying "uh-huh" to that statement, you know he's going to disavow it when we fail to win 10 of our next 12.

Bob will disavow or drew will?

Bob.

I admit, while I like the .800 threshold, I don't understand why he'd be OK changing coaches mid-season with a record of 9-4, but not at 0-1 after a humiliating loss to Longwood with an entire offseason to prepare.

Speaking of lukewarm, what the hell has happened to Greg Burtons show? I used to listen when our teams were relevant. Now, nobody "calls or texts or tweets" and he just blabbers for the entire time. Spent roughly a minute on Mooney today.

Seems like Greg is just "playing out the string" with that program now.
"No doubt about that, no doubt about that"

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Bob.

I admit, while I like the .800 threshold, I don't understand why he'd be OK changing coaches mid-season with a record of 9-4, but not at 0-1 after a humiliating loss to Longwood with an entire offseason to prepare.
Good point, I guess he’s looking for some kind of body of work to support the argument. I’d argue if CM manages 9-4 he’s safely out of the crosshairs whether folks feel he’s underachieved or not, so it’s probably not that rigid to expect an .800 record.

At least he’s talking about how soft the OOC looks and that we can’t come out and fart away games we have no business losing.

Bob trying to sell Hampton as a good team based on making a couple of NCAAs recently (hey....what's that feel like?) and their upset win in 2001 was rich. Someone from the MEAC is going to get in (as a 16 seed).

"But they are trying REALLY, REALLY hard to get better!"
*Loss to Longwood*

"They are really working INCREDIBLY HARD!"
*Loss to Wyoming*

"They are in the gym shooting free throws ALL THE TIME!"
*Ranked 320+ in the nation in FT shooting*

"No one wants to win more than Coach Mooney!"
*Loss to Hampton, followed by inability to communicate any message to fans"

Bob trying to sell Hampton as a good team based on making a couple of NCAAs recently (hey....what's that feel like?) and their upset win in 2001 was rich. Someone from the MEAC is going to get in (as a 16 seed).
They were 1 and 4 coming into our game?????

There's no way in hell Bob follows up with the PR Chief for an answer to JOC's question tonight.

Good God. they've turned over every bit of personnel from that team, and changed conferences in that time, and theyre using that line of defense? Drew needs to show more cajones or he's not long for sports radio.

LOL he was talking about Hampton's tourney history.
I know our tourney history has nothing to do with how good/bad our team is now just like it doesn't have any impact on Hampton's current team. A pathetic answer from Bob

There's no way in hell Bob follows up with the PR Chief for an answer to JOC's question tonight.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I listened to the entire show to see if he would follow through. He asked Grant a half baked question where Grant answered that the team had to "block out the noise" from the "community and campus" but nothing to or from Mooney. For the last 10 minutes of the show, i thought there was a chance they would have that conversation. Unfortunately, there were commercials from 6:20 until 6:27 and then a quick Georgetown chat and it was done.

Disappointed but not surprised.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I listened to the entire show to see if he would follow through. He asked Grant a half baked question where Grant answered that the team had to "block out the noise" from the "community and campus" but nothing to or from Mooney. For the last 10 minutes of the show, i thought there was a chance they would have that conversation. Unfortunately, there were commercials from 6:20 until 6:27 and then a quick Georgetown chat and it was done.

Did anyone get to ask Mooney questions?

Yeah, that one was kinda weird. Mooney was like, "Sure, that would be a great thing!" Which begged the question: Have you ever asked him in 14 years? And of course no one asked that one, and then they just moved on.

I don’t listen to the show, never really have, other than a handful of times. But even then I know who Ivan is when mentioned by the message board.

But honest question, what the point of having the coaches show? Does anyone on here call in and if so do they get through to ask questions? Who is Ivan and why is he the only person to get to ask questions?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

My guess is CM stipulated what he wanted asked and he wanted no outside questions. Did any emails make
the show?

Last edited:
I called in once upon a time when wainwrong was coach, got through, and asked him why he never played steenberge. It was uncomfortable but at least I got to ask the question and he answered it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT