ADVERTISEMENT

Media Discussion of Spider Hoops

Hey, not everyone has the bank account to be able to scour the internet for content to copy and paste onto a message board and purport to be a well-heeled, connected insider.

Well 32 has all that extra time from not hitting the space bar.

Ok tough guy...Ill I bite:

1) Do you agree with a hypothetical decision that Mooney will be retained? Y
2) If yes, explain why Mooney would be better than any other available coach out there.Next year.
3) if it's the money keeping Mooney here next year, why do you think that would hinder us and not any other program that wants to play with the big boys? Money is not the issue.We are NOT a big boy.If ya think so,you and your buddies are delusional.You guys want to be but it ain’t happening.We are and will continue to be a Mid major.

1) Do you agree with a hypothetical decision that Mooney will be retained? Y
2) If yes, explain why Mooney would be better than any other available coach out there.Next year.
3) if it's the money keeping Mooney here next year, why do you think that would hinder us and not any other program that wants to play with the big boys? Money is not the issue.We are NOT a big boy.If ya think so,you and your buddies are delusional.You guys want to be but it ain’t happening.We are and will continue to be a Mid major.
So, we don't really intend to compete for championships.

So, we don't really intend to compete for championships.
At this point I think that's a given. Mooney has never delivered an A10 Championship. After this many years and currently in a downtrend, why would anyone think the decisions makers really care about championships?

I remember reading statements by Hardt, but actions speak louder than words. If Mooney is retained, then there will never be a championship as long as he's here, and we'll remain a nice little program with a beautiful facility.

The next few weeks will give an indication.

JOC said today in the RT-D that "all signs are pointing to Mooney returning next season".

SAD!

#NoMoreMooneyTuthing

At this point I think that's a given. Mooney has never delivered an A10 Championship. After this many years and currently in a downtrend, why would anyone think the decisions makers really care about championships?

I remember reading statements by Hardt, but actions speak louder than words. If Mooney is retained, then there will never be a championship as long as he's here, and we'll remain a nice little program with a beautiful facility.

The next few weeks will give an indication.

2011 he won the championship, but that was pre-albatross contract.

2011 he won the championship, but that was pre-albatross contract.
Regular season no, but you are correct for tournament. Either way 0 times in his career regular season and once in tournament. Not acceptable either way & not worthy of more of the same after 2 consecutive 12 win years, no NCAA since 2011, and on and on and on. We'll go 10 years w/out an NCAA appearance and still be talking about this as they just let his contract expire down the road.

I have been done with CM since the Delaware loss last season, gave up buying season tickets and have been boycotting games until CM is gone. By the time he leaves, the RC will need to be renovated again...

I sense an extended dose of R-MC basketball fandom in my future.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Regular season no, but you are correct for tournament. Either way 0 times in his career regular season and once in tournament. Not acceptable either way & not worthy of more of the same after 2 consecutive 12 win years, no NCAA since 2011, and on and on and on. We'll go 10 years w/out an NCAA appearance and still be talking about this as they just let his contract expire down the road.

Mooney has never finished 1st or 2nd in the regular season in the A-10.

From the RTD today. I'll go with the players' feeling for their coach. Puts to rest the transfer speculation for Grant and Gilyard. They didn't need to say these things and go on the record if they didn't want to. These kids make me proud to be a Spider!

"Mooney has players support despite drop"

The sophomore pillars of the University of Richmond's basketball program, Grant Golden and Jacob Gilyard, made it clear that they strongly support Coach Mooney and said their views represent all UR players."

...Golden said, "I think he should be back. I think he deserves to be back....I think the next few years are going to be great and all of that is due to [UR's coaches] and the guys they brought in."

"We've got his back and we support him, and he believes in us."

"Obviously, us as a team, we really support coach Mooney. We love him. That's our coach. That's our guy," Gilyard said. "We'll go to war for him and I think he'll do the same for us."

"Overall, though. A lot of distractions outside. I think we let it affect us on the inside a little bit"

Said Golden, "We tried to block it out as much as possible, but it is what it is. We've moved on from it."

-----
Nice work with the billboard. Those responsible cleary messed with our kids' heads. That was so short sighted and did absolutely no good whatsoever, and according to our players did damage. Glad our players could move on.

From the RTD today. I'll go with the players' feeling for their coach. Puts to rest the transfer speculation for Grant and Gilyard. They didn't need to say these things and go on the record if they didn't want to. These kids make me proud to be a Spider!

The sophomore pillars of the University of Richmond's basketball program, Grant Golden and Jacob Gilyard, made it clear that they strongly support Coach Mooney and said their views represent all UR players."

...Golden said, "I think he should be back. I think he deserves to be back....I think the next few years are going to be great and all of that is due to [UR's coaches] and the guys they brought in."

"Obviously, us as a team, we really support coach Mooney. We love him. That's our coach. That's our guy," Gilyard said. "We'll go to war for him and I think he'll do the same for us."

"Overall, though. A lot of distractions outside. I think we let it affect us on the inside a little bit"

Said Golden, "We tried to block it out as much as possible, but it is what it is. We've moved on from it."

-----
Nice work with the billboard. Those responsible cleary messed with our kids' heads. That was so short sighted and did absolutely no good whatsoever, and according to our players did damage. Glad our players could move on.

We were 11-15 b.BB and 1-4 a.BB, which supposedly galvanized them.

Reactions: KWeaver
As Chance, the Gardener said, "As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden. In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."
We are losing red sweaters like WW2 veterans. Many passing away every year, and not being replaced with new seeds. Hard to to get to a UR basketball game from New Jersey or China.

-----

So a billboard caused us to lose to an absolutely putrid Umass team? @SpiderPride, honest question: what would it take for you to lose faith in Coach Mooney? A winless season? I’m glad the players have his back and vice versa and I hope they win 5 straight in Brooklyn but it sounds like our basketball program has become a retirement plan for Chris where on court results don’t matter.

Reactions: KWeaver
Let me make this clear at the outset: I don’t want guys, particularly Gilyard and Grant to go elsewhere. But to allow that to govern the decision making process is the definition of the tail wagging the dog. Particularly since these are key guys on back-to-back 12 win teams. If given the choice, I’d take my chances with a new coach every time.

we've been going at this all wrong. We should let the market tell us how good a coach Mooney is.... Lets waive his buy out and see how many offers he gets.
Waive his buyout? Maybe i dont understand the intent of the buyout, but i assume its his safety net at this point. Wed love him ro waive it so he could be fired and we owe nothing......am i wrong?

Waive his buyout? Maybe i dont understand the intent of the buyout, but i assume its his safety net at this point. Wed love him ro waive it so he could be fired and we owe nothing......am i wrong?
No if someone hired him away from us, they would owe us his buyout. I believe that was Jim's intent when he signed the 10 year deal.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
That would be a nice resolution to all of this. Two great options laid out there.

Reactions: SpiderK
we've been going at this all wrong. We should let the market tell us how good a coach Mooney is.... Lets waive his buy out and see how many offers he gets.
I-M, excellent point. ZERO interest in Mooney the last 8 years. The only opportunities he will have is at low majors that will try to market his accomplishments from 8 years ago. Hoping all this PR push is a smoke screen for a behind the scenes deal for Exit De Mooney.

While I have to agree with 32Counter (shiver) that Mooney will not be let go, I have noticed something lately. I have been sitting in the same seat for at least the past 14 years. Lately, maybe the last 3 home games, I have seen Mooney hug his wife on way to the tunnel after the game. He didn’t do that for 13 1/2 years. Just an observation.

While I have to agree with 32Counter (shiver) that Mooney will not be let go, I have noticed something lately. I have been sitting in the same seat for at least the past 14 years. Lately, maybe the last 3 home games, I have seen Mooney hug his wife on way to the tunnel after the game. He didn’t do that for 13 1/2 years. Just an observation.
He's surreptitiously slipping her his $40,000 game check.

-----
They stunk way before that billboard went up. What was their excuse for the first 3/4 of the season?

We are losing red sweaters like WW2 veterans. Many passing away every year, and not being replaced with new seeds. Hard to to get to a UR basketball game from New Jersey or China.
I've said for a number of years (and I know it has angered some fellow Spiders) we need a lot more VIRGINIANS in the student body! We are losing the local Red Sweaters at an alarming rate.

Reactions: SpiderK
We have to pay Mooney either way. So fire him as men's coach and hire him as women's coach.
And bring Nancy in to coach MBB. We would be the first and only school in the country with a female as MBB coach and a male as WBB coach.

Our diversity enamored Administration would be ecstatic and crowing about this relentlessly. They wouldn't care if we won or lost. Oh wait, apparently they already feel that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT