ADVERTISEMENT

Media Discussion of Spider Hoops

Coaching Changes account's recent take. It did have some mistakes in it but our basketball PR person replied to correct them...

I see the billboard as a win-win. It either fires up the team to play on a higher level and winning basketball games, or it gets Mooney canned.

With any luck, both will happen....would that make it a win-win-win?

Do you really think being negative on the coach and players is a great motivator? Should we start booing during the games? I guess VCU and Dayton fans have it all wrong.

Also, that billboard was the best thing that could have happened to Mooney.

BTW, how come all the degrading articles relative to the Billboard were not put on this media thead?

1. I haven't been negative on our players
2. Stating FACTS (like missed free throws) is not being negative
3. I don't care about VCU or Dayton fans, but I doubt either one of those programs would have kept a coach with Mooney's record around beyond 14 years
4. Those negative billboard articles that I know about were posted immediately on other threads.

Look, change is hard, especially when it involves someone who is so well liked and respected as a person and has been around for a long time. If you want to review the Spidernation archives for the past 14 years you will find that without exception all of the FMM guys were huge Mooney fans for a lot of years. But he's had 14 highly compensated years with free reign to do pretty much whatever he's wanted to do with the program. Very few D1 coaches with barely above .500 records have their jobs anywhere near 14 years. Pure and simple, it's just time for a change. I'm an alum and have been a Spider for over 50 years, I've been around a lot of bad years and great years. I just want to get the juices flowing again.

We'll probably win 1 more game on our schedule, so we're back to where we were last year when all is said and done. The billboard woke up Mooney, but why did it take such measures to wake him up?

When we go through this again next year if Mooney stays and he loses to low quad 4 teams, do we need to keep putting up billboards to keep him motivated? When will it end?

Reactions: coach fezz
The billboard woke up Mooney, but why did it take such measures to wake him up?
Well, we’ve won exactly one game since it went up so I don’t know that it had a lot of staying power to keep him awake.

1. I haven't been negative on our players
2. Stating FACTS (like missed free throws) is not being negative
3. I don't care about VCU or Dayton fans, but I doubt either one of those programs would have kept a coach with Mooney's record around beyond 14 years
4. Those negative billboard articles that I know about were posted immediately on other threads.

Look, change is hard, especially when it involves someone who is so well liked and respected as a person and has been around for a long time. If you want to review the Spidernation archives for the past 14 years you will find that without exception all of the FMM guys were huge Mooney fans for a lot of years. But he's had 14 highly compensated years with free reign to do pretty much whatever he's wanted to do with the program. Very few D1 coaches with barely above .500 records have their jobs anywhere near 14 years. Pure and simple, it's just time for a change. I'm an alum and have been a Spider for over 50 years, I've been around a lot of bad years and great years. I just want to get the juices flowing again.
SpiderRick you are tight!

What about Hardt and Mooney?

Hardt is Mooney's boss. If Hardt feels a change should be made, it will be made.

Typical Basketball Board nonsense.No one has any weight nor cache.Anyone not renewing tix next season,who cares.Mosquitio on a $2,500,000,000 enterprise.The continuing nonsense among the girlie boys is irrelevant.

Reactions: plydogg
Well, 32, maybe you could put in a good word for all the rest of us. The way you enjoy looking down your nose at everyone else, clearly you have much pull within the department. Thanks in advance.

Typical Basketball Board nonsense.No one has any weight nor cache.Anyone not renewing tix next season,who cares.Mosquitio on a $2,500,000,000 enterprise.The continuing nonsense among the girlie boys is irrelevant.

I've always liked and respected your posts 32 but it's sad to read this demeaning put down from you. Do you REALLY not understand why people are upset? GIRLIE BOYS? REALLY? Truly sickens me to read this from you. I don't know you but I'm guessing that you must be on the UR payroll. And I've got $20 that says that I've been a Spider longer than you've been alive.

I don't think how much money you have or how long you've been an active Spider fan has any bearing on whether you can discuss Spider basketball on a message board, including whether or not you'd like to see the coach fired. My opinion is as valuable as anyone else's, regardless of whether it is one that Hardt or other decision makers at UR care about or even are aware of.

Also, my daughter is a bad-ass, so I'm not sure if "girly boy" is an insult to boys or girls.

Ricky,

I’m 68.Dad played football at UR in early 1930’s.My family has attended UR included UR Law as do my nieces.I’ll bet you $20 that my wallet is considerably bigger than your wallet.Enough said.Private enterprise guy all the way building companies and selling them including venture capitalist and private equity.Any questions?
Buy out Mooney’s contract and I will be impressed.

Ricky,

I’m 68.Dad played football at UR in early 1930’s.My family has attended UR included UR Law as do my nieces.I’ll bet you $20 that my wallet is considerably bigger than your wallet.Enough said.Private enterprise guy all the way building companies and selling them including venture capitalist and private equity.Any questions?
Such a fat wallet but only betting $20?

Sooooo Mr. Big bucks 32, can you help us little girly mans out and try to get a new coach. Or are you on the message board to hang out with the common folk while not having to actually do it in person? Do you think Mooney deserves to stay on?

Seriously,23,my fellow Nutmeger.Mooney gets a semi pass this year.
Next year critical.Help him find recruits to fill at least 1 maybe 2 spots.
The kid from Marionapolis is a good player in his league but he ain’t a panacea to get into NCAAs.

What exactly is a girlie boy? Feminine in nature, a non truther, or simply a boastful,
arrogant know it all? I am confused and need clarification.

Hey, it’s the 4’11”’guy again.

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT