ADVERTISEMENT

Dartmouth Basketball votes to join union.

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
Dartmouth's team is 6-21, so they voted to join a Union. Would they demand money? How would they collectively bargain? Would they call a strike? Demand playing time? How would they force members to comply?

"The Dartmouth men's basketball team voted 13-2 Tuesday to join its local service employees union, marking the first time any group of college athletes has taken a public action as employees of their school and potentially setting a precedent that could significantly alter the business of college sports.

Last month, a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board ruled the Dartmouth players were employees of their school. Tuesday's vote was the players' first official action as employees and the next step toward bargaining with the school."

I will add will they now pay union dues and get union benefits, will they strike to support follow union members with a real grievance?

I will add will they now pay union dues and get union benefits, will they strike to support follow union members with a real grievance?
How in the world will college kids be able to afford union dues? Is this a one-time event or will every one who joins the team be required to join the union? What if someone gets injured? Will the union cover the costs, will the school or will the player and his family? Will the school be required to provide worker's comp benefits?

lot of questions. I assume it'll be tied up in court for years before they actually are in the union.

my question since it's in a non-scholarship situation ... they tied "employment" to the athletes getting "paid" in ways non-athletes aren't. they sited the athletes getting free gear and free tickets for family, as if that's real compensation for the number of hours put in.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what can or can't be done. but what if schools say ok, no more free sneakers and no tickets?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT