ADVERTISEMENT

LEFTY IN THE HALL OF FAME

WebSpinner

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 7, 2003
just viewed the lefthanders speech upon his induction into the basketball hall of fame. as a guy who was along for most of his ride, he is 86 now and has a walker, fun to listen to his reminiscing about his jobs, players, coaches, records and reinforced the fact that the guy has no filter. recall his stint at newport news high school where he won 57 straight games at one point and the stories/myths about julie conn gym where it was said that visiting point guards would be dribbling up the court and the ball would bounce out of bounds in certain places whereas the typhoon players always avoided those same spots. amazing what he did at davidson, 900 male students, high, very high academics even then and he had top 10 teams there. moses was there and lefty said he loves that guy and that if he had played for him, had him signed, instead of going to the aba right out of high school, he would have been sitting here a long time ago and he probably is right. not sure he coached many teams which i liked but because of the tidewater connection, kind of pulled for him. his terps opened the ROBINS CENTER and his terps were the opponent for UR's first ever post-season game. a very colorful guy, bigger than life, difficult to see him with a walker but still there mentally and was fun and interesting speech. really happy that he made it to the hall before passing.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Lefty is a great character and very entertaining. Remember when he was at Newport News High School and his trips to the Richmond Arena as Davidson coach where we had some notoriously low scoring games resulting from holding the ball much of the game. Best story about Lefty coming to Robins for our opening game was about his car sinking to the hubcaps in the mud. Agree Spinner that it is good he has been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame -

Admiral, our team was on the wrong end of many of those 57 straight victories, they were dominant. a winner will win everywhere he goes and he did just that did not matter the level or conference or school. the guy at texas tech is like that, won big everywhere he has been a head coach. saw another article on the recruiting of tom macmillan, former congressman and the #1 player in the country his senior high school year. he was going to unc but lefty, then at maryland kept on him and tom's father hated dean smith and did not want him to go there and when the loi was brought home from unc, the parents would not sign it and he ended up with the terps and played on one of the best teams i ever saw.

Lefty still not as old as Dick Tarrant. Last time I saw him he looked great, moves and walks like a much younger man.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Reactions: AnnapSpider
Lefty still not as old as Dick Tarrant. Last time I saw him he looked great, moves and walks like a much younger man.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing
not sure what Coach Tarrant's all time record was versus Lefty, but think DT owned him in big games in CAA Tournament...

whenever Tarrant's Spiders had Lefty's Dukes in the Championship game I felt like we had the advantage...

I remember those Davidson teams Lefty put together...Holland, Hetzel, Snyder, Malloy etc...amazing!

Congrats Lefty...Go Spiders!

Reactions: urfan1
Yeah and who could ever forget the way JMU treated Richmond fans for the Midnight Madness......There were the few "required" seats behind the Richmond bench and for the other tickets bought through the Richmond ticket office wooden benches with no backs were set up in the ambulatory area...if you tried to move to one of the many open seats the ushers would send you back to the benches.......just another way to create more distaste for the Purple Pukes.....................

As Spinner said, Lefty was the winning coach in the first game ever played at the Robins Center. That game was men against boys, as Aron Stewart wasn't eligible yet for us and he was the only player we had who would have even played for the Terps.

Yeah and who could ever forget the way JMU treated Richmond fans for the Midnight Madness......There were the few "required" seats behind the Richmond bench and for the other tickets bought through the Richmond ticket office wooden benches with no backs were set up in the ambulatory area...if you tried to move to one of the many open seats the ushers would send you back to the benches.......just another way to create more distaste for the Purple Pukes.....................

That was supposed to be a home game for us but the powers at be at UR decided the late starting time was not best for our season ticket holders so the game was switched to Madison college.

not sure what Coach Tarrant's all time record was versus Lefty, but think DT owned him in big games in CAA Tournament...

whenever Tarrant's Spiders had Lefty's Dukes in the Championship game I felt like we had the advantage...

I remember those Davidson teams Lefty put together...Holland, Hetzel, Snyder, Malloy etc...amazing!

Congrats Lefty...Go Spiders!
Both being extroverts, and successful, I wonder if they were friends?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT