ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby Mooney - 2024 Name to Watch

Can't really tell his lateral quickness off these highlights so much, but yes seems like a kid pre portal that may have lined up some offers from a Sacred Heart, Albany, Siena, etc. Speaking with a kids father I coached in middle school travel ball (wend D2), the borderline guys are really impacted as coaches looking for college ready players from the portal. Heck, look at our team - 4 starters from the portal.

same number of kids eventually end up on teams as before though.
some just have to wait longer for the dust to settle.
looks like a kid who could play Patriot or Ivy or the Siena level as you mentioned. or go the Jack Graham route.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Yeah, I think some of it is the quality of his team and level of competition. William Tennent is 6A, but only kind of mid-pack even within their district.

23.5, 7.8 and 3.7 per game ... shoots well ... dunks with ease ...

it's really hard to get a D1 offer.

Yes not bad for 6’3 guard but it is off 2 feet not 1 tho. If he could go off 1 u can dunk easier while being defended and more in flow of live action. With 2 u are basically slowing down & doing a jump stop dunk.

I remember some discussion on here b4. Some said always easier to dunk off 1 foot. I disagreed it depends on player. I always needed 2 feet to get more vertical.

depends on the player, but even pre-Fosbury high jumpers took off from one foot.
no problem with Mooney being a 2 footer. I'd think if you can jump then you should also be ok laterally but that's a guess.
agree with 23 that he's probably not seen due to the level, but I'm not sure how many kids are really seen in season anyway. AAU is what matters, playing in gyms with a top of other high level players.

23.5, 7.8 and 3.7 per game ... shoots well ... dunks with ease ...

it's really hard to get a D1 offer.
Actually that is his upcoming average as a walk-on freshman here, That should help our record…

Last edited:
depends on the player, but even pre-Fosbury high jumpers took off from one foot.
no problem with Mooney being a 2 footer. I'd think if you can jump then you should also be ok laterally but that's a guess.
agree with 23 that he's probably not seen due to the level, but I'm not sure how many kids are really seen in season anyway. AAU is what matters, playing in gyms with a top of other high level players.

Like the video. Those are Olympians, the elite. idk much about high jump but I think the physics of momentum and how u contort your body basically requires going off 1 foot regardless. Overall I think the jump athletes can go off 1 foot as well if not better, there is an advantage to 1. Usually going off 2 indicates a little less jump athleticism imo. For the non elite 2 may be required, but not for all.

For me in hoops I was a 2 foot guy but not like it really mattered. Half court player. My coach had me guard Duane Simpkins in hs. DeMatha/Maryland, now hc at AU. I thought to myself, Coach are we trying to lose?

He really should have put Hubert on him :):):)

lol but different school. U r thinking of ChopBroc who I believe was teammates with him. Hubert Davis was a little bit older than me. But I watched him a number of times in hs. Knew his hs coach well. Smooth. At WR too. Still remember his last hs game ever when he got knocked out by the legendary Don McCool.

how'd that game go, GK?

Murdered junior year. But senior year lost a very very close game unfortunately. Simp was very controlled, same pace, more of a facilitator in hs. So felt like I was playing good defense occasionally lol. But then if they needed a bucket it was like ok let me go get a bucket.

Reactions: spiderman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT