ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby Mooney - 2024 Name to Watch

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
No sign yet that he's going to be a D-I recruit, but will be interesting to see how things go for him.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
any of you local guys meet him?

• "My uncle (Chris) has been my biggest inspiration ever since I was little. Going to see all of his games at Richmond as a kid, it really inspired me to work as hard as I can to get to that level. I sat front row to see them play in March Madness this year, and I realized how much quicker and more physical the game is at the D1 level. He had a phenomenal career at Archbishop Ryan, and went on to play at Princeton back in the day. My ultimate goal is to follow in his footsteps. My dad, Kevin Mooney, has taught me basically everything I know. He played at Holy Ghost in the 80’s, and had a great four years there. He keeps me motivated, and helps me become the best player that I can be. Having a lot of basketball experience in my family has allowed me to push myself harder, and have such a serious passion for the game."

nice highlights. does need to get stronger but only a sophomore. good handle and shot. hope he adds a couple inches.

Interesting thought. But I can just imagine the discussions we would be having, even if he is somehow the next combination of Jordan, James, Bryant, and Curry: "he's favoring his nephew, he's overcorrecting and not giving him enough time." Those are probably as mild as they would get.

And I don't think he would be able to use the "I have to remember to get him off the bench and give more minutes" line in the post-game press-conference.

Pretty cool. One thing I really like about his highlights: Makes his move and goes downhill/straightline to the hoop, and good ability to finish with either hand and off the glass. Only a soph, the eye test would project him out as a D1 prospect to me.
I agree - based on that highlight - I would project him to D1 for sure. Maybe even mid-major to high level depending on how he fills outs the next 2 years. But he looks like a pretty good player - and you know he has good genes.

I am mixed on this with hiring and recruiting family. Good recruits could be scared off if they have
concern with favoritism and at same time, I believe we should recruit best players available. If
Kirby checks off all the boxes we need and can help us, then go for it. If there are better recruits we have
a chance on, then consider them as higher priority and look at Kirby as PWO and let him earn a scholarship.

I don't want to jinx the kid - but based on the video, which is limited and not sure of the competition he was facing - he looks like he might go above us. Still too early to tell - but this just gives you a glimpse into college recruiting - for a school like UR to get a top recruit - we got to be involved early and try to get in before everyone else notices a kid. And many times - hard to tell how a kid will pan out over the next 2-3 years before he even steps on campus.

I don't see a top recruit or a kid who will go above us. he's an ok athlete. good first step. good basketball player. but no way above A10.
maybe he'll prove me wrong in a year.

Whenever I see the name Kirby all I can think about is Joe Kirby. Don’t remember if he played much for us but the name will always be stuck in my head

Any of our Philly area posters care to comment, seen him play in person? A google search not really coming up with any D1 offers. But the highlights and achievement in this league certainly is a very good player. Also, some places have him listed 6'1, some 6'3 and some 6'4. Anyone that has seen him, which is most accurate?

pretty bouncy, especially if he's under 6'4". nice consistent arc.
could definitely see him following his uncle's footsteps at an Ivy with that shot and back door cuts if his academics are there.

Seems like a nice intelligent kid. The family obviously cares about academics. Why haven’t we offered? We are offering kids in 8th grade now, why the hesitation?

It doesn't appear anyone has offered him yet. I'm sure there's at least a walk-on spot for him if he wants it, but slow the roll on just handing him a scholarship.

Reactions: urfan1
It doesn't appear anyone has offered him yet. I'm sure there's at least a walk-on spot for him if he wants it, but slow the roll on just handing him a scholarship.
I agree with you. I was kind of kidding about the offer.

On boy, we need more D-III players.
A lot of D2 and D3 players can definitely play, and many are better than D1 players. Especially D2. Many would rather go D2 and play a lot of minutes and be stars on a winning team than go play D1, where they might not get the minutes. But, some are definitely good enough where they could be real good at the D1 level. Nova Southeastern just won the D2 title, and 4 of their guys transferred up, including to Memphis, GA, and Charleston, and Auburn recently landed a real good D2 guy also. Nova's coach said it's crazy how much money these guys are being offered now.

Many would rather go D2 and play a lot of minutes and be stars on a winning team than go play D1, where they might not get the minutes.
I've never heard of a kid with D1 options choose D2. that's highly unlikely.
the really good D2 players are usually there due to academics. if they get them in order, they can possibly transfer up to D1.

I've never heard of a kid with D1 options choose D2. that's highly unlikely.
the really good D2 players are usually there due to academics. if they get them in order, they can possibly transfer up to D1.
Happens all the time, Sman. D2 guys get plenty of D1 offers. Sometimes the decision is easy to go D2 because all the factors like location, support, school, coach, winning program, fun atmosphere and others might favor the D2 school, and the only thing that might be better at the D1 school is just the number, if you are worried about 1 being better than 2 in this case. I think more and more kids have been figuring this out lately too, so D2 is getting better and better players. Plus, knowing they can transfer down the road makes it that much easier.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
all the time? I'm clearly not following D2 recruiting closely enough.
can you give me an example?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT