ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson - 2021 Commit

He looks to be a real baller -- excited to see hum join up next season

I think more likely Wilson backs up at the 1. maybe CM plays them together a little, but we should have options at the 2.
more size at the 2 would be a welcome change.

Wilson will be our 2 guard next year. He's a bit taller than Nelson and with the way Nelson handles the rock, he is has to be the PG.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that we signed a player from RPS. He’s going to inject some much needed toughness into the program. Is Michael Perry the last city player we signed?

Nelson looks really impressive. Do we know how well he shoots the ball from outside?

What I’m seeing on MaxPreps is that Nelson in 26 career games is 31-52 from 3, so 60% from downtown.

Not sure how accurate that is though, because the same site says in his career he has made 121 two pointers on only 105 attempts....

This is where we need SF’s expertise

I think more likely Wilson backs up at the 1. maybe CM plays them together a little, but we should have options at the 2.

I like Wilson as player but he doesn't look like a shooter. Hope he works on that all summer.

So, I forgot about Goose. Yeah, he will probably be our starting 2 guard next year with healthy minutes from Wilson subbing for both Goose and Nelson.

I mean, I can't tell from the highlights whether Nelson is righty or lefty, which is awesome.

I'm excited for a future backcourt of Wilson and Nelson, but can hold off my excitement until after this team's NCAA run. : )

Agree with this, how about Goose at the 2 with Dji filling in. If Wilson is ready to contribute next year, I definitely think Mooney will play him and Nelson together. Going to be a lot of question marks going into next year, should be some healthy competition at most spots, other than Burton's spot - hopefully he is not in the ACC.

Goose should play a lot next year, especially if he can make 3s at a good rate. It would be great if Wilson, Bailey, and Nelson are all good enough to see the floor and give us a lot of positive minutes. Best case is if Wilson or Nelson steps up as a solid looking PG, Goose starts and shows he can hit the 3, and the other 2 play well enough to give us 4 good, rotation players there.

my best case has the 4 incoming freshmen plus a late-add big man proving they're better than everyone we've ever had.

Reactions: VT4700
Don't know how realistic it is that Goose will be a three-point threat. He's a 26% shooter from there so far and his shot doesn't look great. Maybe he can pull a Burton, but he's already three years in and going in the wrong direction.

Don't know how realistic it is that Goose will be a three-point threat. He's a 26% shooter from there so far and his shot doesn't look great. Maybe he can pull a Burton, but he's already three years in and going in the wrong direction.
Very fair to say that, but with who we have out there now, we don't want him shooting the three very much, and that could mean in practice as well. I think there's a chance he can improve to low to mid 30s with a whole off season of practice. He would need to be open, and be more of a set shooter, but it could happen. With his size, you really need to be able to make some 3s at this level.

Very fair to say that, but with who we have out there now, we don't want him shooting the three very much, and that could mean in practice as well. I think there's a chance he can improve to low to mid 30s with a whole off season of practice. He would need to be open, and be more of a set shooter, but it could happen. With his size, you really need to be able to make some 3s at this level.

He needs arc on his shot. I could fix him in 6 hours. Guaranteed.

you guys don't think Goose has been working hard on shooting 3's the past 3 years? just about every player in every program shoots an absolute boatload of 3 pointers in practice in season and throughout the offseason. if he's not a 3 point shooter by junior year, I'm not expecting it next season. he can still be a very good player next year doing what he does best. we'll have shooters around him.

Reactions: plydogg
I worry more about Goose right now, physically. I think he is still struggling with the lack of activity while recovering. His ball handling is suspect and he looks a step slower. I believe once he is at 100% his whole game will improve. I think in February last year, he was a great threat shooting and looked smooth. Who knows they could go to 3 guards next year with 2 forwards.

you guys don't think Goose has been working hard on shooting 3's the past 3 years? just about every player in every program shoots an absolute boatload of 3 pointers in practice in season and throughout the offseason. if he's not a 3 point shooter by junior year, I'm not expecting it next season. he can still be a very good player next year doing what he does best. we'll have shooters around him.
No, I don't think every player shoots hundreds of 3s every day in the off season. Also, I don't think we're spending a lot of practice time running designed plays to get Goose open threes. Maybe next year will be different, maybe it won't. I hope it will because he's a good player, and I'd like him to play 25 to 30 minutes next year. And, if he's playing that much, he needs to make some 3s. What shooters do you think we will have around him next year? Teams really need at least three reliable three-point shooters on the floor. Tyler has given us that this year. Tyler was 10 for 38 (26%) from 3 last year. This year he is 23 for 54 (43%). Did he still practice threes last year? Of course. Did he very likely practice a heck of a lot more this offseason than last year? Definitely. Are we running more designed plays in practice to get him threes this year? Of course.

Last edited:
No, I don't think every player shoots hundreds of 3s every day in the off season. Also, I don't think we're spending a lot of practice time running designed plays to get Goose open threes. Maybe next year will be different, maybe it won't. I hope it will because he's a good player, and I'd like him to play 25 to 30 minutes next year. And, if he's playing that much, he needs to make some 3s. What shooters do you think we will have around him next year? Teams really need at least three reliable three-point shooters on the floor. Tyler has given us that this year. Tyler was 10 for 38 (26%) from 3 last year. This year he is 23 for 54 (43%). Did he still practice threes last year? Of course. Did he very likely practice a heck of a lot more this offseason than last year? Definitely. Are we running more designed plays in practice to get him threes this year? Of course.
the players I know of all shoot a ton of 3's, especially all offseason. they have set workouts with the team which includes 3's, and then on their own most days they get in the gym with the shooting gun set up. that includes 6'9" big guys, so certainly every 6'4" wing should be doing the same. I agree Tyler got a ton more work in between freshman and sophomore season than he did before freshman year. his shot always looked good though.

as for running plays to get guys open 3's, I don't think we do that. we run the offense. it includes options. eventually we get a good shot. it never looks like we're running a play to get Burton a 3. he gets it in the flow of the offense.

and as for the shooter around Goose, I assume we'll start Burton and Crabtree with Nelson. hopefully Nelson's a shooter. those would be the main 3 but everyone will have the green light. including Goose.

There were some preseason videos where he shot with a great arc, and -- being a highlight video -- they went in. But in regular games at game speed, the muscle memory doesn't seem to be there and the shots are flat. He has the same issue on foul shots. Sometimes they get flat and rim out. I don't think it's a shooting form problem, just an arc problem.

Deion Taylor developed form problems.

but if you have an arc problem, that's a form problem ... one which can be corrected but it's still some type of form problem whether it's release point or where you set the ball before the release.

Goose certainly doesn't have a DT or Shaq level form problem of course. I don't even see the arc issue, but you may be right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT