ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson - 2021 Commit

not sure if you've been involved in the hoops recruiting scene or not. coaches are very upfront with recruits. we're going to have a 3 man class, or 4, or 5. we're looking for an X, a Y and a Z. we want you to be that X. if you commit, we're done at X and we'll focus on our Y and Z. yes, there can be a little overlap as not every guy is pigeon holed into just one position. but no, you're never bringing in 4 guards.

you can bring 2 PG types in if there's a need at guard, but you'll explain to them that you can see them playing together ... like we do with Blake and Jacob.

Yes, I do talk to coaches and know how recruiting works. Coaches would bring in 4 guards sometimes because they know not every recruit pans out. Or, maybe they already have some good forwards on their team. Or, maybe they know if you start 3 or even 4 guards, you need some back ups there as well. Whoever we get, I would assume we get the 5 best players we can.

Last edited:
I can't think of any time in the last 20 years or so that we haven't had positional balance in a recruiting class. maybe when we brought in Duinker and Garrett. I think that was the same class. but maybe Duinker could see himself as a 4. are you talking about Kentucky types that lose guys to the NBA? I can't think of an example of a class with 4 guards unless some of them are forward size with guard skills.

Agree with Sman, most players basically span two positions - for instance I see Connor Crabtree as a 2/3. I really don't see him being able to guard a big (4/5) effectively or for long periods. He is not a point guard. Burton a 3/4. Would love to sign up Nelson. We could go after another big guard/wing forward - but then we definitely need to have a couple guys in the 3/4 and 4/5 category.

As much as 97 is going to cringe, if we can put together 3 or 4 solid '21 recruits, I am all for leaving one open for a grad transfer next year. Thinking the mid year transfer is off the list now due to filling out the '20 class? I think this would be the year to leave it open and try to find an immediate impact GT. Of course we have not had luck in that dept., but before TJ Mooney hadn't had luck in the regular transfer game. Teaching the old dog some new tricks hopefully.

I can't think of any time in the last 20 years or so that we haven't had positional balance in a recruiting class. maybe when we brought in Duinker and Garrett. I think that was the same class. but maybe Duinker could see himself as a 4. are you talking about Kentucky types that lose guys to the NBA? I can't think of an example of a class with 4 guards unless some of them are forward size with guard skills.

Keep in mind most classes are not five guys, so of course it's rare to have four guards in a class. I am simply saying I would hope we would take a ShawnDre Jones type over a Derrick Williams type if it comes down to that, regardless of what "positions" we have already recruited that year. Do you disagree with that? I was also saying I don't know any team out there trying to recruit one guy at each of 5 positions if they had five spots, since teams dont worry about having five positions anymore. They just don't. I can't believe you still talk about the four spot on here and worry about the three. We can have a different opinion on the other stuff. That is fine, but it is just not accurate of you to think teams worry about the four position, or filling all "5 positions" as you stated.

I'd be completely happy with a guy that could play like D-will. The guy was a solid basketball player.

Even the way the game is now? At 6'5?? He was pretty good when here, but how much time do you think he gets on last year's or next year's team?

Anyway, back to sman and recruiting, in 2013 we had 3 recruits, all guards, no one taller than 6'3. The year before we had 2 recruits, both forwards. In 2014, we had 5 recruits, 3 Gs and the 2 Fs were Friendshuh and Diekvoss, so it certainly would not have hurt to add a 4th G there instead. Are you saying we don't even try for a possible 4th G in that class because we already had 3?

???? I did? Even if you think I did, why is that a problem when I was responding to a post that said we should have a 5 man recruiting class with one at each position?
Well, you described a good big guy, a point guard, and surrounding them with other good players (which I take to mean they are neither bigs nor PGs), so that’s at a minimum three “positions”.

Sounds like 1 position (PG) to me, but even if it is 3, why did you respond like you did when my only argument was that there are not five positions in basketball anymore?

Sounds like 1 position (PG) to me, but even if it is 3, why did you respond like you did when my only argument was that there are not five positions in basketball anymore?
Because you get hung up on “positions” all the time and insist that we shouldn’t worry about it when in fact you do need to worry about “roles”.

you clearly get the need for roles, I was merely pointing that out. I think you just reflex unnecessarily whenever mention of positions/roles comes up. They matter.

Because you get hung up on “positions” all the time and insist that we shouldn’t worry about it when in fact you do need to worry about “roles”.

you clearly get the need for roles, I was merely pointing that out. I think you just reflex unnecessarily whenever mention of positions/roles comes up. They matter.

Of course they matter. You are adding the word role to this, not me. But, back to the original debate.....do you think we should try to get "one guy for each of 5 positions" in the next recruiting class?

Of course they matter. You are adding the word role to this, not me. But, back to the original debate.....do you think we should try to get "one guy for each of 5 positions" in the next recruiting class?
Roughly, yes.

Does everyone think we should have a number of players on the roster with similar size and skill set? Not too few, not too many?

I think this is more what people mean by position. And more what you look for in a large class, the total of each that we have, not necessarily one of each.

Roughly, yes.

We will have Weir, Burton, Crabtree, Grace and Sal all 6'6 or taller in 2 years. The year after that, we will still have Weir, Burton, and Crabtree. We very well might end up with 2, even 3 forward types in the next class, but why do you think we roughly NEED to look for a guy at each position? We should take the 5 best players with this class, knowing if the class is either guard heavy or forward heavy, we could always turn around the next year and recruit the other way when 3 more spots open.

Does everyone think we should have a number of players on the roster with similar size and skill set? Not too few, not too many?

I think this is more what people mean by position. And more what you look for in a large class, the total of each that we have, not necessarily one of each.

I just think we should look for the five best players with this class, especially when we still have 3 spots the following class to fill any possible needs. If we get 3 guards for 2021 and hypothetically a guy like Curtis Blair III were 2021 and wanted to come here, we take him. The game is more guard heavy than forward heavy now anyway. Give me shooters and a lot of them.

Last edited:
We will have Weir, Burton, Crabtree, Grace and Sal all 6'6 or taller in 2 years. The year after that, we will still have Weir, Burton, and Crabtree. We very well might end up with 2, even 3 forward types in the next class, but why do you think we roughly NEED to look for a guy at each position? We should take the 5 best players with this class, knowing if the class is either guard heavy or forward heavy, we could always turn around the next year and recruit the other way when 3 more spots open.
I think this mostly because when you don’t try to balance it out, you end up with Demonte Buckingham playing what is essential your PF/Forward role. That’s not a great plan, I don’t care how good the guy is.

I hear you, T. Chances are we will get a mixture of Gs and Fs, hopefully with 2 or 3 really good 3 pt shooters in there. All I'm saying is I would not worry about having to get "one at each position". That's all. I just want to bring as many good players as possible in here, regardless of position, in this particular class. Not saying do that every year because your roster dictates what you need to address each class. But, you can never have too many good shooters, so I would choose a shooter over size in this class if it came down to that.

So much, "I have to win this," it's hilarious

Sorry, 05. I'm not trying to win anything, and not trying to change anyone's opinion. Just giving mine and explaining why I feel like I do. I thought that was what message boards were all about. My goodness, it would be pretty boring on here if everyone always agreed and you never had any back and forth debates. You should know as well as anyone, just put me ignore if my posts bother you so much, but if they do, I really am sorry, that is not my intention.

His PEG was north of 22 and pulled in almost 15% of Boards. Both figures were better than Cayo. Grant was 25/15 for comparison.

Fine, and at the risk of being accused of trying to win something, I would prefer Cayo. But, I guess unlike some on here, I think it fine to have differing opinions.

So much, "I have to win this," it's hilarious

I will tell you what is hilarious. This post coming from the same guy who used some cherry-picked stats so he could "win" his DWill debate, when the poster he was debating with was not trying to "win" anything. Now, THAT is funny!!!!!!

I think my post on this thread got deleted :):). Dwill looked like he could be a beast, and was well worth the risk, but between injuries and off court issues never quite maxed out his potential.

Will say that Cayo seems like a solid guy and works hard at his game. if he can become a mid range shooter this year will be a big boost to our team.

D-Will was a beast. D-Will's career did get derailed to injuries and obviously his off the court indulgences. Pre-injury D-Will would be starting right now. Cayo would be coming off the bench.

Reactions: plydogg
man if I was Vandy I would not include a SEC home game as part of the recruiting visit. Especially not against Joe Burrow’s LSU. Maybe when he comes here Mooney can just show him the replay of our win over Vandy! Hope we can get this guy and he chooses to come to Richmond. Love it when we get the local guys
Joe Burrow is a Cincinnati Bengal.

Joe Burrow is a Cincinnati Bengal.

Darn you! I got so excited to see the notification this was quoted to see if there was something else about this kid and his recruitment and then this is what I get! lol.

But in all seriousness, Joe Burrow is already my favorite NFL player.

man if I was Vandy I would not include a SEC home game as part of the recruiting visit. Especially not against Joe Burrow’s LSU. Maybe when he comes here Mooney can just show him the replay of our win over Vandy! Hope we can get this guy and he chooses to come to Richmond. Love it when we get the local guys
If Moondog doesn't loop up the Vandy game during his recruitment visit, that will be an opportunity missed.

If Moondog doesn't loop up the Vandy game during his recruitment visit, that will be an opportunity missed.

I agree. Only thing I thought about when posting that is that we didn’t look particularly great in that game. A one point win I think it was? Would have been better if we just blew them out from the opening tip!

I agree. Only thing I thought about when posting that is that we didn’t look particularly great in that game. A one point win I think it was? Would have been better if we just blew them out from the opening tip!
I assumed you were both referring to the 2011 Vandy game.

2011 is ancient history to a recruit.
last year's game highlights are perfect for a guard.
Jacob had 26 with 7 steals and 4 assists.
Blake had 24.

I assumed you were both referring to the 2011 Vandy game.
Ha, yes, both of them. Mooney should narrate how pissed he was that we only beat them by 1 and how if we had played them at the end of the year, we would have roasted their punk asses by at least 20. Cause we would have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT