ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson - 2021 Commit

Was Millhiser where a lot of you played? It was not used when I went there outside of sometimes for club sports. Weirdly enough the only time I ever played on there was for intramural floor hockey
Not only played intramural games there but had P.E. classes there as well. Played for the Nads, favorite cheer was Go.

Reactions: Stork3 and plydogg
Was Millhiser where a lot of you played? It was not used when I went there outside of sometimes for club sports. Weirdly enough the only time I ever played on there was for intramural floor hockey

Carpet gym was more used in my time. Not sure when that was built, but SF could tell us. Millhiser was definitely used for intramurals too but perhaps not on same scale. Great little historic venue glad to have used it. Handball was played there and some hoops. Maybe other things I didn't care for. Btw handball underrated intramural sport at UR, tho nothing compares to the king, Hardyball.

I'm guessing some "older" alumni would not have had too many options besides Millhiser. so it depends on the era.

Reactions: plydogg
The other thing that obscures my perception of this whole situation was I was that "far Out"lier - a commuter...

PE, imtramura BB, badminton, MBB practice, weight room for all sports in the basement; even had a concert during Greek Week due to bad weather. Believe the band was Parliamentry Fundadelic. Wow, that was a long time ago.

Reactions: urfan1
Carpet gym was more used in my time. Not sure when that was built, but SF could tell us.
The auxiliary gym was part of the original Robins Center when it opened in '72, and it had a vinyl Uni-Turf floor that eventually started bubbling, so they replaced it with the Pro-Gym carpet in '86. That lasted until the conversion to wood in '96.

And yes, during my time in the late '90s, pretty much everything was held in the auxiliary gym. Millhiser was only used rarely for some social gatherings. I was only in the actual gym part of the building a couple of times.

I covered JNew once in Millhiser. I use the term "covered" loosely.
I played in the carpet gym with and without carpet.

Reactions: spider23
Carpet gym rocked. Lost a lot of intramural bball games running with Vanilla Thunder in there.

Wow. Best thing we had was some super crappy EDM show. It was even worse than it sounds.

Y’all had Jackie Wilson and Paul Butterfield? I am incredibly jealous

My mind could be in fantasyland, but I thought I remember seeing the 5th Dimension in Milhiser

well that helps ease the 20 person logjam a tiny bit at least
not if he's cleared for basketball activity in June. hopefully he's 100% soon and can compete for backup PG minutes early.

nobody outside of the Ivy's is used to an oversized roster like this. some guys just won't get to play much this one season. but if UR is the place these guys want to be, they'll work hard to be ready and they'll focus on their opportunities ahead of them.

I don't think we'll hear anything until November, but I do expect some redshirt talk at some point. for this one year is does make sense.

His timetable for return to full activity is still unclear. Fortunately we have the luxury of holding him out until he's 100%.

jogging already seems like a good sign though. no need to push it though. keep heeling.

not if he's cleared for basketball activity in June. hopefully he's 100% soon and can compete for backup PG minutes early.

nobody outside of the Ivy's is used to an oversized roster like this. some guys just won't get to play much this one season. but if UR is the place these guys want to be, they'll work hard to be ready and they'll focus on their opportunities ahead of them.

I don't think we'll hear anything until November, but I do expect some redshirt talk at some point. for this one year is does make sense.

good call, definitely think redshirting will be a factor

I traditionally vomit at the intentional redshirt talk. But this year, I agree it’s a maybe.

I don’t want to say too much but I can say the redshirt options are a real thing this coming season, at least as it goes right now. Not necessarily for Jason but in general terms.

I don’t want to say too much but I can say the redshirt options are a real thing this coming season, at least as it goes right now. Not necessarily for Jason but in general terms.
I mean they pretty much have to be. There is just no way these freshman are getting any type of meaningful minutes this year. If one of them does, they are a really big time player.

I mean they pretty much have to be. There is just no way these freshman are getting any type of meaningful minutes this year. If one of them does, they are a really big time player.
I haven’t been home to some of the freshmen play. Which ones stands the best chance of seeing time? If you have seen them play.

I haven’t been home to some of the freshmen play. Which ones stands the best chance of seeing time? If you have seen them play.
I have only seen guys on video. If I had to guess…maybe Marcus Randolph. His frame and strength is there I think. They don’t report till June or July. I personally think Nelson may be a little bit behind just like Dji was. Very similar situation I think but I’m like all the rest of you guys just speculating for the time being. 😀

I have only seen guys on video. If I had to guess…maybe Marcus Randolph. His frame and strength is there I think. They don’t report till June or July. I personally think Nelson may be a little bit behind just like Dji was. Very similar situation I think but I’m like all the rest of you guys just speculating for the time being. 😀
Thanks for the information.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
barring injuries, even if this freshmen class is amazing (and it might be) ... I still can't see them getting much time this year with so many talented 22 and 23 year olds on the roster.

barring injuries, even if this freshmen class is amazing (and it might be) ... I still can't see them getting much time this year with so many talented 32 and 33 year olds on the roster.

FIFY

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
The best chance for the freshman to get some minutes is if they can consistently make the 3, and we don't get enough good 3 point shooting from the rotation guys.

Nelson is the best incoming freshman, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll get the most PT (or even be active). But the kid is a legit future first-team A10 guard.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
The best chance for the freshman to get some minutes is if they can consistently make the 3, and we don't get enough good 3 point shooting from the rotation guys.
Nope. If any of the freshmen want time, they need to play hard defense. If I've learned one thing from watching the Mooney show for the past 18 years that if you are new and don't play or understand our defense, you aren't getting early minutes.

I don't want some freshman chucking 3's when I can feed Grant or Cayo inside, let Sherod bomb from outside, or let Gilly and Burton do what Gilly and Burton can do.

I do need a freshman who is going to play very active defense, deny dribble penetration or just a be a general pest of the defensive end.

Nelson is the best incoming freshman, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll get the most PT (or even be active). But the kid is a legit future first-team A10 guard.
He is the most hyped that is for sure of the freshman. I wonder if that is because he is local though. Really tough to know much about any of our freshman considering Covid basically destroyed their high school senior years last year.

He is the most hyped that is for sure of the freshman. I wonder if that is because he is local though. Really tough to know much about any of our freshman considering Covid basically destroyed their high school senior years last year.
I would agree with this. Makes the most sense if he’s local because a lot you guys may have seen him in action. I personally like Randolph and his game, not a huge fan of smaller guards. Not to say they can’t get it done bc they can see Gilly, Blake, etc. I’m just partial to bigger guards. I don’t see why some up here would think that Nelson or the other Fr may play a ton of minutes based off of what I’ve read up here on the boards for the last year(in terms of freshman) how are they different than last yrs Fr? Meaning…in regards to who the board thinks will play. Nevertheless these guys will have to prove themselves regardless. 🕷🏀

early projections on the board had Nelson competing with Wilson for the starting PG spot, under the assumption Dji was considered more of a 2.

then Jacob came back, erasing 36 available mpg at the 1.
That makes sense..

Nelson won two state championships at two different schools and also was point guard on a team that went undefeated and won AAU nationals a few years ago. He's legit and will be the next smaller guard star here. But I like some of the other recruits too and hope they all do great things for us, even if we have to wait a year to see what they've got.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT