ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson - 2021 Commit

I get there are privacy rules, but I hope we hear what this is and what it means. my pessimistic mind expects the worst where next season is delayed. hoping for much better news than that.

We all hope minor but those odds r quite low. I don't think you post that if you're going in for an outpatient meniscus clean up. Best wishes on whatever the recovery.

I actually thought it might be more extensive.

Doom-Patrol-Victor-Stone-Jacket-1.jpg

Hopefully not ACL, shoulder not great either, but a lot better than ACL I would think. Good luck and quick healing in any case!

Either way we are still 8-9 months away from the tip of the next season so that should give him plenty of time to recover and repair from whatever it is to be ready to go. Sending good vibes out for Jason!

Reactions: urfan1
Either way we are still 8-9 months away from the tip of the next season so that should give him plenty of time to recover and repair from whatever it is to be ready to go. Sending good vibes out for Jason!
anything but an ACL. that's a 9 month recovery minimum. he'd miss the entire offseason and preseason. it's hard enough to have an impact as a freshman with all of the available work. I'd drastically lower my expectations for Jason's freshman year if it's an ACL.

anything but an ACL. that's a 9 month recovery minimum. he'd miss the entire offseason and preseason. it's hard enough to have an impact as a freshman with all of the available work. I'd drastically lower my expectations for Jason's freshman year if it's an ACL.

true missing that time would hurt & he may not feel back to normal the first year too...if an ACL. Tho players do seem to recover better & more quickly with ACLs today than many years ago. Either way I'd expect he'll still play a lot because our roster will likely necessitate it.

Surgery for turf toe. But per article Jason's was a lot more severe than the average turf toe injury. 4-6 month recovery. All things considered better than ACL of course. Jason's dad hopeful he'll be ready by the summer.

Surgery for turf toe. But per article Jason's was a lot more severe than the average turf toe injury. 4-6 month recovery. All things considered better than ACL of course. Jason's dad hopeful he'll be ready by the summer.

“Nelson Sr. said the surgeon, Dr. Peter White of OrthoVirginia, told him post-surgery that the injury was worse than he'd initially suspected based on MRI results. It was a "complete rupture of the plantar plate with slightly retracted sesamoids," Nelson Sr. said. The injury required significant surgical reconstruction.”

Good luck to Jason.

Never a good time for an injury, but at least this comes at a down time as compared to other HS years. I am sure you can get some good advice for other UR players that have been through and are going through similar roads to recovery.

Reactions: urfan1
“Nelson Sr. said the surgeon, Dr. Peter White of OrthoVirginia, told him post-surgery that the injury was worse than he'd initially suspected based on MRI results. It was a "complete rupture of the plantar plate with slightly retracted sesamoids," Nelson Sr. said. The injury required significant surgical reconstruction.”

Oooof. As someone who has had sesamoiditis and further complications from it that gives me a little bit of alarm. Those are your shock absorbers. Feels like you are always stepping on a small rock and gets worse as you keep wearing on it. To be fair though I did not have ortho virginia helping me out. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

who here was at UR during the time with the rug in the auxiliary gym? man that was a weird decision.

glad this wasn't an ACL but this is no joke. from what I read 3-6 months is the normal recovery time but it can take 12 months. and the surgeon did say this was worse than expected and required significant surgical reconstruction.

another concern is the cause. why did his plantar plate give out, and does the surgery fix that? hopefully this is a one time thing.

I remember the Hall of Fame lineman, Jonathan Ogden, suffered with turf toe, and missed games because of it.
It’s not something to joke about.

who here was at UR during the time with the rug in the auxiliary gym? man that was a weird decision.

glad this wasn't an ACL but this is no joke. from what I read 3-6 months is the normal recovery time but it can take 12 months. and the surgeon did say this was worse than expected and required significant surgical reconstruction.

another concern is the cause. why did his plantar plate give out, and does the surgery fix that? hopefully this is a one time thing.
Carpet gym, weird, I agree but don't remember any ankle or knee injuries. Atkinson was in their the day after the season ended running with us scrubs. Remember going in the carpet gym and seeing Gravelle Craig working out and thinking this guy is too small to be on the team. 6 weeks later Dick Tarrant is talking about how he is one of the best players on the team.

Buddy of mine blew out his ACL in the carpet gym. I actually enjoyed shooting in there, but playing games was another story.

WTF is the auxiliary gym. Didn't ppl get mad at 8legs1dream for that. It was the carpet gym that's it.

Many good memories from carpet gym days, and all the bball and football guys would play there regularly too.

Annap i played number of sports thru HS growing up vs. Ogden. Besides a Hall of Famer a smart, gentle giant.

Last edited:
I just missed out on the carpet gym. They ripped it out to put in a wood floor the summer before I arrived. That lasted ten years until they converted it to the fitness center.

I just called it Millhiser and thought that was the only thing in that building.

Doesn't the QAC (Queally Athletic Center) have carpet?

I assumed the carpet had been there since 1921 and through all the official games...

I just called it Millhiser and thought that was the only thing in that building.

Doesn't the QAC (Queally Athletic Center) have carpet?

I assumed the carpet had been there since 1921 and through all the official games...

millhiser never had carpet. In my era I found their floor a little slick tho. Played some hoops & handball there. The carpet gym was where the Weinstein center resides now.

I thought Chop was making a joke about Queally Center but maybe not.

Sometimes a diagram helps...carpet gym lost its carpet and then was eventually turned into the fitness portion of the Weinstein Center when they built the bigger gym directly adjacent.

Throw in the RC main court and the new QAC not shown yet on aerial, and that's a lot of current/former basketball courts in one spot.

carpet-millhiser.jpg

Sometimes a diagram helps...carpet gym lost its carpet and then was eventually turned into the fitness portion of the Weinstein Center when they built the bigger gym directly adjacent.

Throw in the RC main court and the new QAC not shown yet on aerial, and that's a lot of current/former basketball courts in one spot.

carpet-millhiser.jpg
The top of that Robbins center needs a giant spider logo.

carpet-millhiser.jpg
I mostly played on the outdoor court where the Weinstein Sign/Entrance is now.

I have still never been in Millhiser.
The few times I went in the carpet gym from the parking lot, I always assumed that was Millhiser, and wondered what the big deal was.

Since I have been between the Carpet Gym and Millhiser many times, I am obviously spatially challenged.

The more you know...

Then again that outdoor court gave me my greatest horse moment. Worthy of a McDonald's commercial.

From half court, over the back board, off the curb, back over the back board, nothing but net...

Was Millhiser where a lot of you played? It was not used when I went there outside of sometimes for club sports. Weirdly enough the only time I ever played on there was for intramural floor hockey

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT