ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson - 2021 Commit

So, I didn't know this, but Marcus Randolph team was ranked Top 10 nationally this year. Randolph was the stud on that team, leading them to the Philadelphia Catholic League Championship and a 1 point loss in the state championship. They beat a Lower Merion team (Kobe Bryant's H.S) en route to the state championship game. I'm excited about Nelson but Randolph has a bit of fan fare as well. He also had an offer from Temple as well.

Randolph player of the year

A little tough to call him "THE stud"...they had four D-I signees including UConn-bound Diggins, who was named state POY in 6A. But he was definitely "A stud".

I would agree with this. Makes the most sense if he’s local because a lot you guys may have seen him in action. I personally like Randolph and his game, not a huge fan of smaller guards. Not to say they can’t get it done bc they can see Gilly, Blake, etc. I’m just partial to bigger guards. I don’t see why some up here would think that Nelson or the other Fr may play a ton of minutes based off of what I’ve read up here on the boards for the last year(in terms of freshman) how are they different than last yrs Fr? Meaning…in regards to who the board thinks will play. Nevertheless these guys will have to prove themselves regardless. 🕷🏀

Why, do you know any of them? ;)

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I would agree with this. Makes the most sense if he’s local because a lot you guys may have seen him in action. I personally like Randolph and his game, not a huge fan of smaller guards. Not to say they can’t get it done bc they can see Gilly, Blake, etc. I’m just partial to bigger guards. I don’t see why some up here would think that Nelson or the other Fr may play a ton of minutes based off of what I’ve read up here on the boards for the last year(in terms of freshman) how are they different than last yrs Fr? Meaning…in regards to who the board thinks will play. Nevertheless these guys will have to prove themselves regardless. 🕷🏀
Stay a fan of Richmond long enough and you will become a fan of smaller guards. At least as long as Mooney is the coach. Gilyard and Blake are the most recent examples, but for the past 14 years Richmond has had at least one excellent small guard on the roster.

Stay a fan of Richmond long enough and you will become a fan of smaller guards. At least as long as Mooney is the coach. Gilyard and Blake are the most recent examples, but for the past 14 years Richmond has had at least one excellent small guard on the roster.

What's a little ironic is Mooney was on record I believe at very start of tenure of stating he wanted big guards even at point. Remember his first was Brian Morris, who was not your small, full court ball handling PG. More the build of Dji. By the way Dji is 6'5 and Spiderdad is partial to bigger guards. Go figure lol, if my kid was 6'5 I would be too. Also spiderdad I really don't see anyone saying next year fresh will play a ton of minutes. Maybe I missed it. I think it would be a surprise to virtually all on here if a newcomer did just due to what is returning. However I'm rooting to see it because it would mean that player is very very good which helps the team.

Anyway back to the small guard....then a kid named Kevin Anderson came along and it's been that way ever since (at least one always part of backcourt) & a lot of good ones.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I am a fan of talented guards, regardless of size. If you can play, you can play. As for the freshman comparison to last year's freshman, the difference is last year we had Jacob and Blake returning, so there just wasn't going to be a lot minutes for a freshman. This year, without Blake, a spot is wide open. So, we could see a mix of several guys, including one or two of this year's freshman, competing for minutes beside Jacob. Best case is someone plays lights out and separates himself from the rest. Andre, Wilson, and Dji should have an early advantage based on experience, but if a freshman comes in and shows he is ready and is just as good or better than the others, than he should play. I think it could come down to who can shoot the 3 the best, but we also need a 2nd ball handler with Jacob so that will be a factor also.

What's a little ironic is Mooney was on record I believe at very start of tenure of stating he wanted big guards even at point. Remember his first was Brian Morris, who was not your small, full court ball handling PG. More the build of Dji. By the way Dji is 6'5 and Spiderdad is partial to bigger guards. Go figure lol, if my kid was 6'5 I would be too. Also spiderdad I really don't see anyone saying next year fresh will play a ton of minutes. Maybe I missed it. I think it would be a surprise to virtually all on here if a newcomer did just due to what is returning. However I'm rooting to see it because it would mean that player is very very good which helps the team.

Anyway back to the small guard....then a kid named Kevin Anderson came along and it's been that way ever since (at least one always part of backcourt) & a lot of good ones.
Hey…😀 for the record Dji got his official measurements last week 6’6 178 😀 we still want to add a little muscle & weight. But you do make good points and the more they push each other for minutes is always a plus.

Last edited:
A little tough to call him "THE stud"...they had four D-I signees including UConn-bound Diggins, who was named state POY in 6A. But he was definitely "A stud".
Thanks for the correction. I read the article naming him the POY from his county paper, so perhaps inferred that he was the best player on a really good team. The article did highlight his contributions in the playoff and they were significant.

Which I took as a good sign because usually when we sign a player from a high school team with other D-1 players, that player is not the one that gets that type of press.

Yeah, Diggins is considered a borderline top 50 guy by most of the services, but Wood seemed to spread the scoring around pretty well. And when you've got 4 D-I guys, it's easy to do that.

Hey…😀 for the record Dji got his official measurements last week 6’6 178 😀 we still want to add a little muscle & weight. But you do make good points and the more they push each other for minutes is always a plus.
I've always been curious about official measurements. Do they measure everyone in sneakers? I assume so since that's how they play.

Not sure for the other guys but Dji said he had his slides on 😀
I know everyone does this but why in the world would they do "official measurements" and then have the players wear slides, shoes, or whatever. Shouldn't "official measurements" be barefoot so everyone is at the same baseline.

I know everyone does this but why in the world would they do "official measurements" and then have the players wear slides, shoes, or whatever. Shouldn't "official measurements" be barefoot so everyone is at the same baseline.
I don't know; I was undersized for my position, so I lobbied to get measured in full pads and cleats. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT