ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson - 2021 Commit

I wonder if Vandy tried to use this as pressure on Daniels to commit, saying the spot was his if he wanted it but that Nelson had them in his final two and was announcing today.

if 5 good ones want to come I think we accept them.
but we don't seems to be "in" with many post players. if we can't land a post, we'll be in the market for a transfer post ... with everyone else looking at the same guys. decent big guy transfers are going to be tough to get.

I’m ok with it too just sharing Mooney’s expectation on the class. I’m sure he’s adaptable but he also seemed pretty clear u have to hold ship these days esp w transfer rules potentially changing. We have gotten an all timer in TJ Cline as big man transfer tho he never said anything about position anyway. We could target many types of players in transfer market.

& of course welcome to Jason...great commitment!

Reactions: plydogg
Great pick up. Kid is a winner and love that video and how much he plays with a chip on his shoulder. Mooney's track record with smallish PG like this is excellent and he already plays at a high level.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
Will be interesting to see what direction/how many of the 3 slots left for '21. As Mooney has suggested, I am not opposed to leaving one open for a transfer. If you were to tell me we could sign Lucas Taylor, Ryan Mutombo, and Gianni Thompson - I would say let's do it and not worry about the transfer.

Don’t get ahead of yourself. VCU is a worthy competitor. And despite what some might say on here, they in their own way make us better because they are solid.
They were great for 8 years in a row while we largely sucked. I don't see a correlation between VCU being great and us being great. Our greatness is measured by and large by our coaching staff's ability to get top quality recruits and coach them up. Us both being good might make our rivalry games a little bit more nationally juicy, but I'd rather beat them to a pulp twice a year than having some pregame hype about how much a game with them means.

Reactions: KWeaver and plydogg
The head coach of Varina took a job as head coach at Richard Bland College (a pretty boring, nondescript place if you ask me). He had built Varina into what it was. When he left, Nelson and I believe one other also left. They may also have graduated a key player or two.

The head coach of Varina took a job as head coach at Richard Bland College (a pretty boring, nondescript place if you ask me). He had built Varina into what it was. When he left, Nelson and I believe one other also left. They may also have graduated a key player or two.
I see what you did there.

Reactions: whampas

Hopefully this is just for competition and get better. I don't like the sounds of this.

If he decommits, class of 2021 grade for Mooney moves to a D+ (no offense to Dread - I like him a lot, but a lot of other critical spots to fill), with opportunity to drop.

Maybe I am just being Chicken Little here :eek:

Hopefully this is just for competition and get better. I don't like the sounds of this.

If he decommits, class of 2021 grade for Mooney moves to a D+ (no offense to Dread - I like him a lot, but a lot of other critical spots to fill), with opportunity to drop.

Maybe I am just being Chicken Little here :eek:

What does the tweet say? My work filter blocks it.

What does the tweet say? My work filter blocks it.
Every game will be live streamed so college coaches that are recruiting them have full access to watch players. And he is going to be playing...

I don't when or how many games or if this is the most competitive playing opportunity for this time period.

Text from picture in tweet:

Due to Covid-19, the NCAA, live
periods for college coaches
Were cancelled this summer and~
currently for the fall .iSee You
Scouting Service has decided to
create the #SeenCircuit.Virginia
prospects will be given the
Opportunity to receive maximum
exposure and continue to be
evaluated by schools that are
recruiting them or have shown
interest.Every game will be live-
Streamed to give college
coaches full access to watch
players.

Of course he wants to play in it. He is a basketball player and there are limited opportunities to compete.
Interestingly enough, I follow a lot of AAU accounts, and I have seen business "not as usual" but seems to be close to it. Lots of AAU going on, and every single baseball field in my area has been in activity this summer. Of course we have had a low rate in CT.

I am probably just reading in too much :) on this particular event.

one interesting tidbit on his bio....no mention of being a richmond commit and his pinned tweet has nothing to do with us either....

Just what recruiting is these days. Once they commit that’s when it really begins.

On a side note I noticed on the Twitter he was actually a student at Open HS which is probably the best HS in RPS along with Community.

13, I noticed that as well i.e. the bio and pinned tweet.

Ferrum, in football I would agree much more - seems much more prevalent with football recruits changing. In basketball I feel like much much less prevalent.

Again, nothing to see here BUT as always I am ready to jump into full panic mode.

And if he decommits, it would be full panic mode.

And 13, I do find it interesting that after all the fan fare around the original choice no mention in Bio. Hmmmm.

Happy Friday everyone!!

Paging Noah, Paging Noah.

Reactions: spiders13
OK OK, probably just over reacting. Looks like this league is going to supplement delay in VHSL playing this year, and possibly replace VHSL for top players if no high school basketball in VA. Hopefully the other college coaches keep their grubby little mits away :).

ON a side note, this may pop up all over the country. In CT, prep schools are ramping up recruiting for football players, and one top quarterback already moved to Oklahoma to play I believe.

I feel sorry for the A10 when we unleash this guy on them....

Not really :)

Now go get Billups and Roosevelt Wheeler, and folks will be complaining about Mooney's next 10 year contract in a couple years, and 97 will insist Mooney pay a commission to Nelson.

Next KA? New and improved KA?

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT