ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Brunt

64Spider

Team Manager
Feb 9, 2009
JOC just tweeted that Jamal is leaving UR for a job at Miami. I think Mooney should hire a up and coming young head coach from somewhere to recruit and coach big men but my guess is he will just promote someone from his current staff.

Good luck and thanks to Jamal. I hope he can help get us some games with the Canes.

With great respect to both our DOBO's, I really hope we bring some fresh perspective to the staff.

Good opportunity for Jamal. Best of luck! GREAT opportunity for us to think outside the box and bring in someone with fresh ideas who did not grow on the Mooney tree. He either needs to be an excellent recruiter or a great big-man coach. I would prefer the recruiter.

Has enough time passed to bring Hartman back? It has for me.

I don't know enough about Hartman.
Many here complain about our big men development, but I really couldn't be much happier with the development of Terry, TJ and Zo year over year. Whoever's working with them is doing a great job.
What years was Hartman here? And who did he work with.

Hartman recruited or helped recruit KA, Harp, Gonzo, Geroit. He left or was let go because of a stupid violation back when you were only allowed to send a certain number of texts per day/month/etc to recruits, and he violated that rule. I don't think that rule exists anymore.

took a while, but if he turned Harp into what he became as a senior then he did a good job.

Seems Hartman's last year was 2008 with UR. So he had little to do with Harper's development. I don't think anyone did until his senior year.

This post was edited on 4/17 5:37 PM by SpiderK

It was ironic but as I recall the rule that cost Hartman his job was removed just months later......maybe even weeks later.

Wish nothing but the best for Jamal and family. He has been a great representative of UR.

Best to Jamal, Great guy, sorry to lose him. I think this is a great move for his career, he'll be in a different type of system with a very good mentor. Good Luck Jamal!!!!

Seems to me that this is probably what may have been posted or was was posted by TBSpyder thinking fans after year two of Coach Mooney at UR. You still think that letting him go at that point would have been a good idea?

But congrats to Jamal !!!
This post was edited on 4/17 11:15 PM by mjs2

This post was edited on 4/17 11:21 PM by mjs2

This post was edited on 4/17 11:22 PM by mjs2

Wish Jamal All The Best!

Need to replace him with an assistant that can develop players especially the post players.

I don't understand why people keep claiming we can't develop post payers. Harper, DWill, and TA have all been really good post players who developed under Mooney.

I strongly agree with most of the posts above. First, I believe that Jamal did a great job, and I will sorely miss him, his recruiting and his work on the scheduling.

Second, replacing Jamal will be one of those "significant emotional event" decisions for CM. Those who doubt CM, or who believe he is not open to change, will predict that he will simply promote from within, which has been the past pattern. those who believe that he can change and can "push the envelope," are very hopeful that he will see the benefits of bringing in new blood, including someone with different ideas, and a strong combination of recruiting and Xs& Os knowledge. I would love to see him do what Coach Bennett at UVA just did, which is to bring in a former head coach, who is going to provide some new ideas and a new perspective, maybe even some new offensive ideas and defensive twists. I am sincerely hoping that the optimists are on-target with this one, and that CM sees the need for and the benefits of change. If we make the wrong hire here, and we do not make our run for the NCAAs, this decision could have some very bad long-term consequences. I will lean on the optimistic side, until proven wrong... Can an old dog learn a few new tricks? Let's hope that the time is right for some "out-of-the-box" decision-making.

2011, TA had a very nice second half of his junior year, Harper had a great senior year, and IMO DWill never met his potential and was a non factor his senior year. Garret reminds me of Adoda, never developing as anything more than a shot blocker so far.

Even though he didn't fit the classic mold for a post player, I think it's fair to characterize Harper as our most successful big in recent years. However, the biggest overall improvement in his game came in his senior year, when he really developed a nice "inside out" game and played with a much higher level of confidence than we had seen in the previous 3 years.

I recall reading and hearing that Harper had attended one of the national "big man camps" the summer before his senior year (I'm thinking it was the IMG camp or the Pete Newell camp, can't remember which).

I think our big men (TJ, ANO, TA) should all consider attending one of these camps this summer. If it helps them as much as it seemed to help Harper, I think it would be worth it.

That said, I also think it would be nice to hire an assistant who specializes in developing post players, ideally someone who is not part of CM's "coaching tree".

Oldie, the new assistant at UVA played for Tony Bennett's father, then served as an assistant. So it seems that Coach Bennett really isn't "thinking out of the box", rather hiring someone already knowledgable of his system. I would be ok if CM promoted someone from his coaching tree. IMHO, the principal need is to improve our recruiting.

This post was edited on 4/18 8:48 AM by Ulla1

My priority for our future, would be a strong recruiter as I think Brunt was the primary one for that. As far as
coaching big men, at Duke that was Wojo's responsibility and he was a PG. Bring in a personable, hard worker, who
can recruit with the best.

Originally posted by SpiderK:
2011, TA had a very nice second half of his junior year, Harper had a great senior year, and IMO DWill never met his potential and was a non factor his senior year. Garret reminds me of Adoda, never developing as anything more than a shot blocker so far.
Before he was injured DWill was better his junior year than TA has been this year.

Don't get me wrong. I liked DWill alot. He showed up big some games and then not there the next game. Always thought Mooney should have had him setting more screens for Brothers. They could have been a deadly duo.

I respectfully disagree. DWill never came close to being the player Terry is today. I was a DWill fan, and he certainly aroused the crowd, like nobody else. But he never became the complete player, Allen is. Terry scores better, rebounds better, handles the ball better, makes more steals, and can run the floor in transition. I'm just wondering, if he can improve his game any more, this season.

I don't know what the reasons, but I don't feel DWill ever achieved his potential at UR. Not sure what this has to do with the title of the thread, so I apologize for helping keep it somewhat off-topic.

Originally posted by TBSpyder:

I respectfully disagree. DWill never came close to being the player Terry is today. I was a DWill fan, and he certainly aroused the crowd, like nobody else. But he never became the complete player, Allen is. Terry scores better, rebounds better, handles the ball better, makes more steals, and can run the floor in transition. I'm just wondering, if he can improve his game any more, this season.

I don't know what the reasons, but I don't feel DWill ever achieved his potential at UR. Not sure what this has to do with the title of the thread, so I apologize for helping keep it somewhat off-topic.
DWill scored more points per minute and scored more efficiently during his junior year before he was injured than TA ever has. He was comparable in overall rebounding to TA, but much better on the offensive glass (he pulled down offensive rebounds at almost twice the rate TA does, he was 208th best in the country despite playing in our offense). He drew fouls at a ridiculous rate as well, he was top 25 his junior year in free throw rate. The numbers can lie, but DWill was an absolute beast before his injury, people on here just seem to have forgotten.

Always seemed to me that DWill played great against weaker teams and disappeared against good teams. Had a very nice touch for a big man, I always wanted him to shoot more than he did. He never could turn his head his whole career. I always assumed he had injured his neck at some point growing up. He definitely took up space on the floor, but I never saw his feet leave the floor. :)

This post was edited on 4/18 5:49 PM by SpiderK

What, did Jamal recruit all of these guys? Way to highjack a thread guys!

Just waiting for Spider basketball to announce something significant .....a top recruit, a great new coach hire. Come on man!

64, have the same feelings. Let's hear that Nick Sherod or Jesse Pistokache have committed to become Spiders! Come on man!
cool.r191677.gif

To get back to this thread, I know nothing about Jamal's value to the team, but I will say that if he was the lead recruiter (which I think he was), we did have a lot of misses under his watch. Sparrow was a guy from his hometown and we were way off on that one. Obviously there have been a bunch of others since then. Don't want to place all the blame on Brunt, but I am excited to see what a new recruiter can do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT