ADVERTISEMENT

how would you seed JMU hoops in March if they go undefeated???

spiderman

Spider's Club
Jun 7, 2001
yes, they really could go undefeated! the best NET team in their next 3 games is 334(!). the combined record of the teams in their remaining schedule is 49-122 (28.7%). they only play one team (Appy St ... twice) with a winning record for the rest of the season.

absolutely horrible schedule, but if they're like 32-0 they're getting a home game in the tournament, right?

Highly doubt they can undefeated and good lord if they did we would never hear the end of it. However, for purposes of this exercise, I think they would probably seed them a 4 or 5.

Reactions: urfan1
They just need to go undefeated in their OOC. If they can beat Hampton, Coppin St. and Morgan State. and enter league play at 12-0 and probably ranked 17-20th - they just need to win the regular season conference title with no more than 3 losses (2 or less would be ideal) - I don't see how they get left out of the NCAA tourney. Assuming they lose 3 games in the league - that would be 27-3 entering conference tourney - that is A LOT of wins to turn down for at large.

The bigger question - how did they do this? Transfers? HS recruiting? Coaching?

Of their top 4 scorers - 3 are transfers. 1 from Robert Morris, 1 from South Dakota State, and 1 from Boston College. Coach is not a well known name on the up and coming list (before this year of course). So what are they doing down there?

They just need to go undefeated in their OOC. If they can beat Hampton, Coppin St. and Morgan State. and enter league play at 12-0 and probably ranked 17-20th - they just need to win the regular season conference title with no more than 3 losses (2 or less would be ideal) - I don't see how they get left out of the NCAA tourney. Assuming they lose 3 games in the league - that would be 27-3 entering conference tourney - that is A LOT of wins to turn down for at large.

Of their top 4 scorers - 3 are transfers. 1 from Robert Morris, 1 from South Dakota State, and 1 from Boston College. Coach is not a well known name on the up and coming list (before this year of course). So what are they doing down there?
I know his record was not a world beater, but I always though he could be stellar.

no idea how they beat Michigan State unless Michigan State is down.
but just look at the schedule. we always say we want tough games to impress. their schedule is flat awful. look at the NETs on these teams. the shouldn't lose unless it's to Appy State.

Michigan state is 4-6, so yeah, the shine is off that win a bit. Most of those losses are to good teams, admittedly, but there's a chance that win will look like ours over Kentucky a few years ago. In that case, of course JMU would still make the tournament but it's very hard to know what kind of team they actually are.

4–5, and all of their losses are Q1 at the moment. That said, you'd expect a typical MSU team to win a fair share of Q1 games, so maybe they're indeed down a bit? Sample size isn't big enough yet to really tell.

I agree they wont go undefeated. That conference has some goos teams and they will have a big target on their backs. Most road game will be sold out with rabid fans. If they only lose two they deserve a bid and a decent 8 or 9 seed imo.

4–5, and all of their losses are Q1 at the moment. That said, you'd expect a typical MSU team to win a fair share of Q1 games, so maybe they're indeed down a bit? Sample size isn't big enough yet to really tell.
3 of Michigan States 4 wins are against teams that are collectively 0-29. So, I don't know what is wrong with them but JMU beating them is not the signature win it looked like when they got it.

They will have ample opportunity to win a few Q1 games in Big10 and will likely win a few at home, which is life in the Big10 year after year. They will end up 17-14, 10-8 with 3-11 Q1 record for a NET of 45 and be the 8th team from B10 as a 10 seed. Good for JMU but bullshit otherwise.

they beat an average Spartans team and will beat up on a bunch of nobodies on their way to a crazy high NET. Why can't we do that?
Maybe their academic standards allow other kids to play that wouldn’t be able to play at somewhere else.
i‘m real suspicious how both their football team and basketball team become national success stories.

Last edited:
Honestly, if they can go undefeated which they won't, a 1 or 2.

They would more than likely be ranked in the top 10, if not really close. In that case a 3 seed would probably the the cap on a undefeated season.

Wisconsin, 2004.
Think he meant higher seed & be the “home” team.

then there’s Wisconsin.
Wisconsin is in Madison. The game was played in Milwaukee. Of course it was a huge advantage, but it was not a home game.

The NCAA regularly sends Syracuse to Buffalo when it hosts regionals. Duke gets sent to Greensboro or Charlotte. Gotta sell tickets.

Wisconsin is in Madison. The game was played in Milwaukee. Of course it was a huge advantage, but it was not a home game.

The NCAA regularly sends Syracuse to Buffalo when it hosts regionals. Duke gets sent to Greensboro or Charlotte. Gotta sell tickets.

I’m aware. Sman was talking about seeding nothing to do w home games. Mine was just a joke that we had to play Wisco in Milwaukee which was as close to a home game without being one officially. Usually I think Duke or Cuse is a 1 or 2 seed when they get those placements. Wisco I think was a 6. Regardless I think everyone knows u don’t get games in your home arena in ncaa.

Yeah they're a good team but not anywhere close to the 18th best in the country and not at all a lock to make the tourney.

I still think if JMU only loses 1 more, maybe 2 more games - it would be hard to not put them in the tourney. I understand their schedule stinks, but if they lose 3 games in the regular season - that means they finish the season with a 28-3 record before the conference tourney - and I am not sure how they run their tourney.

It begs an interesting question - what is the most wins a team ever had and didn't get into the NCAA tourney? I think Belmont one year had 26 wins and didn't get in.

I still think if JMU only loses 1 more, maybe 2 more games - it would be hard to not put them in the tourney. I understand their schedule stinks, but if they lose 3 games in the regular season - that means they finish the season with a 28-3 record before the conference tourney - and I am not sure how they run their tourney.

It begs an interesting question - what is the most wins a team ever had and didn't get into the NCAA tourney? I think Belmont one year had 26 wins and didn't get in.

i feel like there was one more. I thought it was Utah ST but couldn’t find it.

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
What if they lose in the opening round to a team that's 7-23 or something? Doubtful but it would sure make things interesting.

That Utah State squad in 2004 was left out at 25–3.

St. Mary’s got left out a few years ago at 28–5 including a win at Gonzaga.

That Utah State squad in 2004 was left out at 25–3.

St. Mary’s got left out a few years ago at 28–5 including a win at Gonzaga.
2018 ST Mary 28 KenPom 2-1 BYU 1-1 Gonzaga.

Can’t believe Utah ST was nearly 20 years ago, (where did my life go?)
Were they in AP at 25-2?

thosse are monster win totals, the committee should be ashamed, especially as recent years show that the Loyolas, FAUs, SDSTs of the world can make deep runs. With the way scheduling is so impossible these days to get any big time opponents to play you anywhere not within 10 miles of their campus needs to be reflected. Piling up wins against teams that would actually schedule you is important, as well as avoiding those land mines. Right now JMU could go 30-1 and some idiots would say they didn't do enough.

Not to make this a scheduling thread, but I generally am okay with how we schedule bc we do okay getting games with mid major teams but would like:
1. At least one better / marquee OOC home game each year.
2. Some better exempt tournaments - as others have said Gazelle Group gets us into okay tourneys but the 2 games we get also usually add at least 1 massive anchor game. Would love a really high profile tournament at least 1 time in Moon's tenure. Wisconsin/Auburn 5 years ago was great (we got 2 anchor games), Cuse/Temple/St. John's is okay as those teams are more name than substance many years now.
3. Renewing the Wake Forest series.
4. The league to get some sort of conference vs conference series going. COVID cancelled our CSU game - that would be great! WCC also acceptable tho Gonzaga might object.

Reactions: urfan1 and GKiller
Can’t believe Utah ST was nearly 20 years ago, (where did my life go?)
Were they in AP at 25-2?
They had just slipped from 22nd to a tie for 25th after losing to a not-great CSUN in the first round of the Big West tournament.

thosse are monster win totals, the committee should be ashamed, especially as recent years show that the Loyolas, FAUs, SDSTs of the world can make deep runs. With the way scheduling is so impossible these days to get any big time opponents to play you anywhere not within 10 miles of their campus needs to be reflected. Piling up wins against teams that would actually schedule you is important, as well as avoiding those land mines. Right now JMU could go 30-1 and some idiots would say they didn't do enough.

Not to make this a scheduling thread, but I generally am okay with how we schedule bc we do okay getting games with mid major teams but would like:
1. At least one better / marquee OOC home game each year.
2. Some better exempt tournaments - as others have said Gazelle Group gets us into okay tourneys but the 2 games we get also usually add at least 1 massive anchor game. Would love a really high profile tournament at least 1 time in Moon's tenure. Wisconsin/Auburn 5 years ago was great (we got 2 anchor games), Cuse/Temple/St. John's is okay as those teams are more name than substance many years now.
3. Renewing the Wake Forest series.
4. The league to get some sort of conference vs conference series going. COVID cancelled our CSU game - that would be great! WCC also acceptable tho Gonzaga might object.
I don't disagree with any of this, but also think our OOC scheduling has been fine. It is tougher for us to get into better exempt tourney because we don't have a large fan base that travels. I think we do a good job of getting other good mid majors on the schedule (Wichita/Northern Iowa) and picking up other opportunities like we did with Florida this year in that one off tournament.

Granted we lost all of those, but that is a different convo. I do think the league needs to be proactive in helping its members get high quality games given the fact that BCS teams now really can just play themselves and ride their collective NET to many NCAA bids

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT