ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponent's Countdown - Hampton

I can’t believe that our program has been reduced to arguing about whether our 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years (where we won one game) is worthy of an extension. We finished 11th in many polls. That’s not bad. But we have top 10 resources and we routinely aren’t in the top 25.

One year doesn’t make a career unless it’s a title. I’m sorry but we keep lowering the bar for our programs. It’s ok to have some accountability.

Let's partake in real history here then. No, it was not deep by some's standards, but that team played the #2 seed to 7 points (38-31) after a called back TD that could have gone either way. That team also ended the year ranked 11th (or so) in the country in most polls, so of those that did not make a deep run to the quarter finals, that team was recognized by many as very successful in FCS.

There is a reason the 8 seeded teams win a lot of games in the round of 16 and make deeper runs, they play at home in the round of 16 and do not have to flight sometimes all the way across the county to play in the round of 16,

Trying to take away from that team's accomplishments would be the revisionist history.
Hey, if that's your definition of "deep", you're certainly entitled to it.

I can’t believe that our program has been reduced to arguing about whether our 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years (where we won one game) is worthy of an extension. We finished 11th in many polls. That’s not bad. But we have top 10 resources and we routinely aren’t in the top 25.

One year doesn’t make a career unless it’s a title. I’m sorry but we keep lowering the bar for our programs. It’s ok to have some accountability.
Right.

Next year, maybe we will only lose to 1 HBCU at home, rather than 2 HBCU like this year.

On Family Weekend 2024, there will be 700 people in the stands in the 2nd half, rather than the 500 we had this year.

We'll call this progress. Maybe even write an error-laden article about it on the school website. And extend a bunch of contracts.

Last edited:

It's the Richmond Way!

The DEI mantra is huge at Richmond.

It does not stand for:

Determination
Excellence
Interest...
when it comes to athletics.

We are what we are as a school. Not going to change with a new AD. The sclerosis goes much higher.

Best described in two words....No vision.

Reactions: Spider B
One could argue that based on the results so far, that we are really in the MEAC and our conference record is 1-2 and do not have a shot at the conferences automatic bid to the playoffs.
To me it says it all as to UR's commitment to FCS football.

This is Russ’s 7th season as head coach at UR and last year was his first and only playoff appearance. In a way he did forget everything he did last year because last year he brought in a transfer qb and someone to run his offense. Next year will be his 8th season with only one playoff appearance not sure how to defend that but knowing UR athletics we certainly will.
The guy that ran his offense last year is 2-3 at Western Michigan with victories over Ball State and FCS St Francis both 1-4. Averaging about 13 per game in the 3 loses.
Not saying things could not be better if he were here, but Udinski, Herres and Henley might have been the difference. Not to mention the now injured Williams.

Reactions: whampas and urfan1
The guy that ran his offense last year is 2-3 at Western Michigan with victories over Ball State and FCS St Francis both 1-4. Averaging about 13 per game in the 3 loses.
Not saying things could not be better if he were here, but Udinski, Herres and Henley might have been the difference. Not to mention the now injured Williams.

“… Udinski, Herres and Henley might have been the difference. Not to mention the now injured Williams...”

We got spoiled with this group.We missed out by not finding real substitute talent from the recent transfer portal.Our competition found transfer talent.We better wake up and also get an experienced,proven offensive coordinator.Forget the loyalty and nepotism crap.Going 3-8 this season and 3-9 next season ain’t gonna cut it.We need co-head coaches since Russ knows nothing on how to score points.His contributions to the offense unit are zero.Russ contributes nothing to the offensive plays or its game planning.That’s a big problem moving forward.He/We lucked out last season.

Last edited:
Hey, if that's your definition of "deep", you're certainly entitled to it.
Where did I say they went deep, I said they were damn good, if you think they were not you are entitled to your opinion as well.

Just out of curiosity why would you say no private school has ever won an FCS championship twice and only three teams have ever won it?

“… Udinski, Herres and Henley might have been the difference. Not to mention the now injured Williams...”

We got spoiled with this group.We missed out by not finding real substitute talent from the recent transfer portal.Our competition found transfer talent.We better wake up and also get an experienced,proven offensive coordinator.Forget the loyalty crap.Going 3-8 this season and 3-9 next season ain’t gonna cut it.We need co-head coaches since Russ knows nothing on how to score points.His contributions to the offense unit are zero.
ETSU guy Wilson looks ok, but WIlliam going down was big in that group.
Wilson is listed RSS, I do not remember if he has covid year as well or remember if he would even be a year that would have one.

I hope he is self-aware enough to realize about the offense. Didn't he replace the guy that came with him from UTC, but you are right about loyalty, it took too long.

Offense looked better second half, didn't October run it then? thought I heard them say that on tv coverage.
Maybe he just needs one OC whoever it is.
I liked the Coleman kid a lot in second half. Think he might end up ok in future years, after first impressions. Heck if the 1 and 2 cannot go for the next two weeks and we happen to win both games, they might burn his redshirt.

Haggerty back was a plus and Grant back at DE was nice.

Spiders needed last week to be bye week, but it is what it is. We need to get healthier and stay that way. It might not be a bad as looks if that could happen.

Sure, never thought we would need to win out at this point in season.

Last edited:
We will see how WMU finishes the season. Clawson had a rough year at Tennessee after leaving UR in a small sample size. I’m more concerned with the larger sample size of one playoff appearance in seven seasons and we know what the one constant has been over that timeframe.

But we got depth, what difference should it make.

We will see how WMU finishes the season. Clawson had a rough year at Tennessee after leaving UR in a small sample size. I’m more concerned with the larger sample size of one playoff appearance in seven seasons and we know what the one constant has been over that timeframe.

not to mention the loss of joe more; the anchor of the O line and our hybrid defense lb/db Xmarshall, along with ray eldridge. think about all of the seniors and red shirt juniors leaving this year. there are 33 red shirt juniors and seniors graduating

Last edited:
I look forward to our next playoff appearance in Russ's 14th year at the helm.
It just plain malpractice what Hardt is doing. Renewing Russ and Mooney after 1 good season and ignoring the long track record of unsuccessful seasons prior. And then just look at those 1 season a bit deeper. For Mooney, it was a Covid gift allowing a bunch of 5th and 6th year players one more crack and still needed a miraculous run in the A-10 tourney and for Russ it was getting a stud QB transfer. Both of those seasons were one offs with special circumstances and anyone could see that. But there is ole Big Hat, no cattle immediately ready to sign them on for a few more years after that 1 special unique year and then having to explain away when they inevitably revert back to the mean.

I don't know if it is laziness, not wanting to fire your friends, or just plain ineptitude mixed with a healthy dose of no one else really cares so why should I, and frankly I don't really care, I wish it would just stop and we would run our D-1 athletic program like a D-1 athletic program instead of some D-3/high school operation as it currently is.

Yeah, I remember that year for Clawson at Tennessee (he did not have a QB that could comprehend his offense, a little bird told me). The boasters just had to get rid of Coach Fulmer and Clawson got fired on a Monday morning with Fulmer's staff (I think it was Monday), he was hired as head coach at Bowling Green by Friday if I remember and won a conference championship within three years just like he did at Fordham and Richmond. Took Tennessee about four coaches and ten years to be in the conversation again. Forethought would have been let Coach Fulmer retire with dignity after another year and move Clawson in it would appear in hindsight. It was his third straight bottom to top 3 year or less turnaround story. Of course, he has four now and seems quite happy where he is.

The guy is amazing at taking 3 star or less players and making them a great team.

Has nothing to do with Spider present situation but bet Tenn. boosters wish they had waited.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Good to see we have excuse makers on the football side as well. All’s well for Richmond athletics

Where did I say they went deep, I said they were damn good, if you think they were not you are entitled to your opinion as well.

Just out of curiosity why would you say no private school has ever won an FCS championship twice and only three teams have ever won it?
I didn't say any of those things.

I was responding to a post that claimed we went deep. You then penned a multi-paragraph response to my post that said i didn't think we went "deep".

I'm not sure what, exactly, we're arguing here.

Simply put -- Huesman is in way over his head and the program is rotten, no matter how you want to characterize the Sacramento State game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT