ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponent's Countdown - Hampton

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

Family Day at The Brick House when the Pirates arrive...many have commented about the Spiders schedule being conducive for 7/8/9 wins...opening the CAA battle with Stony Brook and Hampton proves the point...the Seawolves and Pirates combined last season for a 2-14 CAA record...the CAA preseason poll picks them for 14th and 15th again this season!

taking this scheduling thing a step further if you add Morgan State and Delaware St's. overall 2022 records to those of Stony Brook and Hampton you get an 15-29 result from our first four FCS opponents...

if the Spiders can stay focused, as likely significant favorites in each of these games, these should be impressive wins, but even if we do not stumble I'm a little anxious that we still won't know whether we're ready to battle for the CAA Championship, or not...

the schedule gets tougher following Hampton, but I believe not going up against a Championship contender until game 7 is the downside of this early schedule...let's hope I can forget about it when we are 4-1, 2-0 CAA going in the Maine game!

Hampton is in the process of attempting to build their program to the CAA level...Coach Prunty acknowledges there's a good ways to go...they should be better this season and could be capable of a few wins...as long as one doesn't come against the Spiders I'm all for the Pirates!

enjoy the Countdown...

Go Spiders!

9/2/2023 vs. Grambling Harrison, N.J. W 35-31
9/9/2023 Norfolk State Hampton, Va. L 23-31
9/16/2023 vs. Howard Washington, D.C. W 35-34

QB

RB

WR

TE

Who's playing QB for Spiders? Simple question, complicated answer.

“… Hampton Athletic Director Anthony Henderson, the Powhatan High grad (Class of 1995) in his first year at HU, announced on Sept. 15 that “multiple student-athletes do not meet eligibility requirements based upon NCAA bylaws. Until all requirements are met, affected student-athletes must be withheld from competing in their respective sports…”

“… The list of student-athletes impacted includes several football players, Henderson indicated. Pirates coach Robert Prunty on Monday declined to elaborate on how many Pirates were affected by the ineligibility issue. Henderson said "less than eight…”

Last edited:
Honestly, it shouldn't matter who plays QB in this game. We should just be able to run the ball all day long and win comfortably. Of course, I said "should."

Great effort by the team last week in their win. Team could of given up on the season after IMO the most embarrassing loss in Spider FB history, at a place that has been a house of horrors for us the past decade. Kudos for the gutsy win.

I hate that I really don't see a viable path to the playoffs other than winning the conference. A tall task with a team struggling to find consistent/healthy QB play. Will gladly eat humble pie if proven wrong.

Last edited:
Great effort by the team last week in their win. Team could of given up on the season after IMO the most embarrassing loss in Spider FB history, at a place that has been a house of horrors for us the past decade. Kudos for the gutsy win.

I hate that I really don't see a viable path to the playoffs other than winning the conference. A tall task with a team struggling to find consistent/healthy QB play. Will gladly eat humble pie if proven wrong.

Except for the Tribe no one on our remaining schedule is ranked.A 7-1 conference record would do it but not a 6-2.The loss to Morgan was a playoff killer,right from the get go.

WR

TE

LBs

Except for the Tribe no one on our remaining schedule is ranked.A 7-1 conference record would do it but not a 6-2.The loss to Morgan was a playoff killer,right from the get go.
It is early. Let's see if Morgan State wins the MEAC. They appear much better at the moment than I gave them credit for when Spiders lost first game. Albany only beat them by 6 (Albany might well be the best 2-2 FCS team in the country at this stage of the season) and Towson beat them by 10, they also lost their FBS game in the last 52 seconds on a scoop and score by Akron when they could have run the clock out and won the game.
Their defense seems like the real deal.

They have Yale this weekend and Stony Brook the next. They can be competitive with both teams IMO, if their defense continues to play like they have.

Morgan State as an auto bid and W&M as a playoff team is two losses to playoff teams (if Spiders lose the W&M game), throw in FBS loss and one more and 7-4 might slip in. depending on who the other loss is.
Would also depend on who other 6-2 teams are if there are more than one. With four teams 8-0 and/or 7-1 doubt Spiders make it without being one of them. unless they slip in as described above or some other strange situation.

A big stretch on my part I know, but one can dream.

Spiders need to get and stay healthy, or it will not matter that they lost a game they probably should have won the first week of the season even if the opponent was better than expected.

Last edited:
#15 Xavier Marshall is rostered for Hampton but not on 2-deep chart

Wow

Injured maybe? Can not imagine he would not be good enough to make two deep at LB or even why they would put him at DB unless they are thin there.

It is early. Let's see if Morgan State wins the MEAC. They appear much better at the moment than I gave them credit for when Spiders lost first game. Albany only beat them by 6 (Albany might well be the best 2-2 FCS team in the country at this stage of the season) and Towson beat them by 10, they also lost their FBS game in the last 52 seconds on a scoop and score by Akron when they could have run the clock out and won the game.
Their defense seems like the real deal.

They have Yale this weekend and Stony Brook the next. They can be competitive with both teams IMO, if their defense continues to play like they have.

Morgan State as an auto bid and W&M as a playoff team is two losses to playoff teams (if Spiders lose the W&M game), throw in FBS loss and one more and 7-4 might slip in. depending on who the other loss is.
Would also depend on who other 6-2 teams are if there are more than one. With four teams 8-0 and/or 7-1 doubt Spiders make it without being one of them. unless they slip in as described above or some other strange situation.

A big stretch on my part I know, but one can dream.

Spiders need to get and stay healthy, or it will not matter that they lost a game they probably should have won the first week of the season even if the opponent was better than expected.
Can't lose to Morgan State, period. Awful loss.

We are sitting at 38 in the Massey Ratings and have very few chances to meaningfully move up, considering the weak schedule. If we want to make the playoffs, we need to go 8-3 or win out. We will be on the outside looking in at 7-4 and I don't think it will be particularly close.

Honestly, it shouldn't matter who plays QB in this game. We should just be able to run the ball all day long and win comfortably. Of course, I said "should."
We've had our issues with Hampton in the past, barely winning in the 4th quarter with Lauletta at the helm

We are sitting at 38 in the Massey Ratings and have very few chances to meaningfully move up, considering the weak schedule. If we want to make the playoffs, we need to go 8-3 or win out. We will be on the outside looking in at 7-4 and I don't think it will be particularly close.
Mo, respect your opinion, but disagree. If we go 6-2 in the CAA, 7-4 overall, and beat a top 10, maybe top 5 team in last game, we will definitely be in the conversation.

Spiders have a defense to keep us in every game. O doesn't have to excel, do just enough like last week.

Reactions: urfan1
Mo, respect your opinion, but disagree. If we go 6-2 in the CAA, 7-4 overall, and beat a top 10, maybe top 5 team in last game, we will definitely be in the conversation.

Spiders have a defense to keep us in every game. O doesn't have to excel, do just enough like last week.
Yup, agree to disagree. In my mind, the "in the CAA" part is the biggest point of contention. Going 6-2 in the CAA used to mean you were a real contender. The CAA now resembles the Big South of a few years ago. There were certainly plenty of 6-2 Big South teams kept home from the playoffs....ask Rocco. Hah.

Yup, agree to disagree. In my mind, the "in the CAA" part is the biggest point of contention. Going 6-2 in the CAA used to mean you were a real contender. The CAA now resembles the Big South of a few years ago. There were certainly plenty of 6-2 Big South teams kept home from the playoffs....ask Rocco. Hah.

FCS: Week 5 Presents Early Turning Point For 2-2 CAA Teams

Reactions: urfan1 and URTOM68
this article supports mo's opinion and I'm in agreement. we need to run the table; no exceptions. morgan state is the achilles heel; michigan state showing not a strong big 10 team; stony brook at home, was blown out by delaware ; then blown out by URI; just not enough horse power here!

Last edited:
Completely undisciplined team that takes silly penalties. No offense. Unfortunately Hardt won’t be able to hire anyone better than Huesmann; need them both to move on. We have some talent but have not appeared to be well coached in a very long time.

Completely undisciplined team that takes silly penalties. No offense. Unfortunately Hardt won’t be able to hire anyone better than Huesmann; need them both to move on. We have some talent but have not appeared to be well coached in a very long time.
... on either side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT