ADVERTISEMENT

@ George Mason Patriots - Noon Saturday

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
It's a double-screen Saturday for me, as the NFL unwisely decided to schedule the first home playoff game in 25 years for my Bills overlapping with the Spiders-Patriots matchup.

Anyway, the Patriots of Fairfax currently sit at #191 in the NET and #141 in KenPom with a record of 4-4 against D-1 competition plus a 1-point win over D-II Queens in their opener. No notable wins really...their best is a double-OT comeback win over UMass. Otherwise they've racked up wins over bad teams in Howard, VMI, and Towson.

It's tempting to say their best game so far was actually their 66–61 loss to VCU on Wednesday, but the game wasn't quite as close as it appears. VCU had a double-figure lead for much of the second half before GMU was able to chip away a little bit in the last couple of minutes. They never got closer than the final margin though.

Jordan Miller is leading their leading scorer on the wing at 16 a game. He's had a couple of big games this year. He and two freshmen were also suspended a couple of games for violating team policies. Otherwise GMU is a pretty balanced team with 6 other guys getting 20-30 minutes per night. Freshman Tyler Kolek has jumped right into things at guard, and we saw last year what Javon Greene can do. Let's not let him score 39 against us again.

On offense, they're not a great three-point shooting team. Miller hit an incredible 8-of-10 against Howard, but he's only made three other triples all season and didn't even attempt any against VCU. Kolek is their main outside shooter, and he's hitting 37% from outside. He typically takes half a dozen or more from out there. Inside, Mason doesn't go real big but they're pretty decent rebounders. Oduro is their main big man averaging 10 and 5, with AJ Wilson averaging 8 and 5.

On defense, they don't defend the three very well, allowing opponents to shoot nearly 39%, so hopefully Gilly, Blake, and Burton can get it going from outside. They don't give up a lot of offensive rebounds, and they get a good share of blocks and steals.

KenPom predicts a 76–70 Spider win.

UR game notes:

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
They never should have called Goose as day to day. Week to week is more like it. Now given he's missed the last 3 I can see them sitting him against the GooMoos bc then we have a week off and it gives most rest. Of course that's still a slippery slope with our team esp with this being what you'd traditionally call a trap game. The game b4 a break like our "getaway" xmas games, it's leading up to VCU, etc and fact we've showed little sense of urgency or killer instinct. But no excuses, the trap game is really gone at this point w shortened season and us wasting our margin of error.

Concern w Goose is whether this is longer term like a hernia sports injury.

This is one hell of a groin strain
I don’t recall any statements from the team on the specific injury nor the amount of time Goose was expected to miss. From what I have read and my experience with such an issue, a typical recovery time is 2-4 weeks for a mild pull, so in this case it is on the long end of the range. Hopefully, he will be ready to go by next Saturday when the Spiders most likely will really need his minutes.

I'm looking forward to watching Kolek. fun player having a nice freshman season. he found a good level for himself for early success. probably would been in the same boat with Wilson and Dji if he came here this year. he'd be a good player waiting for his shot next season on a better team.

Goo Moos "scare" me. From the game notes:
The Spiders have won four of their last five vs George Mason following a six-game losing streak to the Patriots from 2015-18. In their last game at EagleBank Arena, the Spiders shot 67.3 percent from the field (33-49), their best ever in an Atlantic 10 game (joined A-10 in 2001).

Lets' keep going with the shooting from our last matchup and stay away from the awful remembering of the six game losing streak that was totally frustrating..

I don’t recall any statements from the team on the specific injury nor the amount of time Goose was expected to miss.
No, but they called it "day-to-day" on December 30. I don't consider 10+ days to be in that category.

Mason is not very good. If we are indeed the top team in the A-10, we should win this comfortably by 10 plus points.

Or as Jon Rothstein calls it, an illness

Weren't you the guy defending Rothstein so much this summer? I think you loved his daily Stuart Smalley affirmations. I apologize if I'm thinking of another poster.

Reactions: plydogg
Weren't you the guy defending Rothstein so much this summer? I think you loved his daily Stuart Smalley affirmations. I apologize if I'm thinking of another poster.

Yes, I think he does great work for exposure of mid-major teams. I’m a strong proponent of simply not following someone if you don’t like their tweets. But now know he has sold out and only cares about merch sales!

If it comes down to FTs they have 3 guys who are 61 of 80, and 8 guys who are 34 of 81...

Remember to foul the latter...

Yes, I think he does great work for exposure of mid-major teams. I’m a strong proponent of simply not following someone if you don’t like their tweets. But now know he has sold out and only cares about merch sales!
ply, I'm sure you don't care much that he blocked you, but what did you expect? actions have consequences. the tone of your tweet was pretty rude, even though correct.

Reactions: plydogg
We should win by at least 6. Hopefully the history was Mason kinda scares me a bit. This year don't seem that strong as the past.

We've won 4 of the last 5 against them...hopefully Mooney has shaken the jinx.

They always give us trouble in Fairfax. Last year we won by 10 but shot lights out as a team and got 33 pts from Sherod, Goose, Wojcik. Not to mention Goose stuffed the stat sheet in other categories. And GMU did not have a single senior on that team so I expect our lack of depth to be a problem. I say Spiders by 3 in an 80-77 shootout.

Looks like Grant will be okay.

We’re looking great so far. Handling their press and zone fine, and they’re having big trouble with our press and overall quickness

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Nah, he was swinging from his momentum...fine to hang to get back under control and make sure you don’t come down on anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT