ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponent's Countdown - Hampton

“If you have good coaches you adjust” - as said on our broadcast as to why Hampton is beating us even though they were not good last year and why we shouldn’t be surprised at the result today.

I mean, it’s deadly accurate. I’m sure the higher ups will justify that we can’t compete with the resources of an HBCU.

At least we didn't run our QB today. Like what I see from Coleman. This season is over so let's go with him the rest of the way and see him grow. Throws a good ball.

Defense gives up 500 yards! Houston, we got problems
They were on the freaking field for ever. How many damn punts did we have -- way to many. If your offense takes almost a half to get their first first down then you cannot blame totally your defense. They just got tired out chasing good RBs and QB, plus we had several stupid defensive penalties which came at bad times.

I am just ready for a change in coaching. Bring Streeter back.

Honestly, it shouldn't matter who plays QB in this game. We should just be able to run the ball all day long and win comfortably. Of course, I said "should."
30 total yards of total rushing yds. the defense witch was our stronghold gave up 497 yards. what a difference a year makes!

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo-spider
Better attendance today than the last home game, but still not what it should be for Family Weekend. And that was one ugly game.

Reactions: urfan1
We all know our athletic department is in shambles! Sad really but I don’t think our higher ups really care. We are a northeastern academic institution in all its wokeness. Hey, it’s who we are now. Go Patriot

At least we didn't run our QB today. Like what I see from Coleman. This season is over so let's go with him the rest of the way and see him grow. Throws a good ball.
He did look good. Actually, he ended the game 24 of 34. 8 different guys caught passes.
One bright spot in the game really, Udinski like really when you figure he is a freshman.

I might not burn his redshirt though to go 3-8 and after what I saw around the conference yesterday, I suspect it is where this team is headed. Hope I am wrong.

This is the problem. RH isn't the answer, but I don't want that bum anywhere near the next coaching hire decision. If anyone deserves a billboard. Its him.
100% - until the top changes we’re guaranteed to keep making the same mistakes. The extensions weren’t even off of “great seasons”. Making the FCS playoffs is better than not, but it’s not impossible. Same with the NCAA tournament. It’s an accomplishment but it’s not such a rarity. We fill out rewards for even minor accomplishments.

And Hardt hands out the extension to Huesman and then won’t pay to have an OC. Just horrible management. He’s the Dan Snyder of college athletics - complete incompetence.

Reactions: Eight Legger
He did look good. Actually, he ended the game 24 of 34. 8 different guys caught passes.
One bright spot in the game really, Udinski like really when you figure he is a freshman.

I might not burn his redshirt though to go 3-8 and after what I saw around the conference yesterday, I suspect it is where this team is headed. Hope I am wrong.

Play him 4 games and we don’t have to burn the shirt. Although the downside if he plays too well that he’ll be getting Power 5 offers to move up (along with NIL $$$). Truly a spot where we are screwed either way.

Welcome to the NEW World of Spider Athletics. We will never keep the best players here anymore which will result in no more Championships in any of our major sports teams $$$$

Just had a Zoom meeting with Clare Pugsley, the alumni office's NW/West Coast rep. Very nice woman, very informed and personable, what a development officer should be.

We talked about athletics, as it is the focal point of my annual giving. I told her that while I believe we should maintain our high academic standards for athletes, so they are similar to the everyday students, that it's time to start winning and that I was very unhappy with our AD, our football coach and our general approach to athletics.

With our resources, location and facilities, we should be a dominant program in the A-10/CAA. Time for a selective but thorough housecleaning at the RC.

I knew everyone was going to jump on the coach that took us deep into the playoffs just last year.
He must have forgotten everything he did then.
Where I do blame Huesman is that his assistanrs are doing horrible jobs. And that is on him.

I knew everyone was going to jump on the coach that took us deep into the playoffs just last year.
Where I do blame Huesman is that his assistanrs are doing horrible jobs. And that is on him.
This is Russ’s 7th season as head coach at UR and last year was his first and only playoff appearance. In a way he did forget everything he did last year because last year he brought in a transfer qb and someone to run his offense. Next year will be his 8th season with only one playoff appearance not sure how to defend that but knowing UR athletics we certainly will.

Is this the same coach who couldn't make the FCS playoffs with a NFL QB and 17 returning starters? Where the previous teams were a combined 29-14 prior to his arrival and had 3 straight FCS playoff appearances.

This is Russ’s 7th season as head coach at UR and last year was his first and only playoff appearance. In a way he did forget everything he did last year because last year he brought in a transfer qb and someone to run his offense. Next year will be his 8th season with only one playoff appearance not sure how to defend that but knowing UR athletics we certainly will.
He went to the playoffs during covid.

Last edited:
He went to the playoffs during covid.
Which year was that and who did we play? Not trying to be a smart ass and maybe you were being sarcastic based on the whole Mooney Covid year argument that is always brought up on the basketball board. I know there was Spring 2021 FCS playoff bracket that we did not make. Or did you mean Russ personally went to one of the playoff games himself during Covid? Again, please educate me because my only memory of Russ leading us to the playoffs was last season.

Probably one of those imaginary credit ones since they reduced the field from 24 to 16 that year. If it had been the full 24, we might have made it. (Who can tell though, given we only played four games and had two canceled, but we still ended up #14/15 in the polls.)

Of course, a lot of programs didn't even play in spring 2021, so competition was watered down to begin with and cutting the field to 16 probably made sense.

You call that "deep"? We beat a non-scholarship team and then gacked up the 2nd round game.

Let's not partake in revisionist history here.
Let's partake in real history here then. No, it was not deep by some's standards, but that team played the #2 seed to 7 points (38-31) after a called back TD that could have gone either way. That team also ended the year ranked 11th (or so) in the country in most polls, so of those that did not make a deep run to the quarter finals, that team was recognized by many as very successful in FCS.

There is a reason the 8 seeded teams win a lot of games in the round of 16 and make deeper runs, they play at home in the round of 16 and do not have to flight sometimes all the way across the county to play in the round of 16,

Trying to take away from that team's accomplishments would be the revisionist history.

I thought we gave ourselves credit if we were in games near the end of the season where the results of the game determines who made the playoffs. You know like how the last game of the year is a “playoff game” since the winner would qualify for the playoffs type of thing. We have no shortage of patting ourselves on the back. Sort of like how Mooney made the final four.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT