ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

13 minutes for Gilly in a win over the Raptors. 5 points on 2-of-3 shooting, couple of assists, and a board.

Reactions: urfan1
Game-high 7 assists for Gilly in 24 minutes. Only 6 points on a couple of triples, plus a steal. His two threes came very early and he actually led the Grizz after the first quarter.

Gilly back to the bench tonight with Kennard in the lineup for a 107–106 Grizz win over the Magic. Quiet night for Gilly with only 13 minutes and 0-for-3 from deep with a pair of assists and a steal.

Scottie Pippen Jr. gets in before Gilyard, but the announcers think it is Gilyard. Haha. I see Gilyard on the bench though, he could make an appearance

Another quiet game for Gilly last night...only 5 minutes of court time. 1-for-1 from deep but no other stats beyond a turnover and a foul. And a –11 +/–, which is pretty remarkable for that little time on the court.

Grizz are hosting the Kings on the rear end of the back-to-back tonight, and just about everybody on the Grizz roster is out. I think they've got 7 guys plus a questionable Vince. If Vince is out, Gilly and Pippen are the only available guards.

The Grizz are calling up Matt Hurt from the Hustle on a 10-day contract via hardship, but that doesn't help their guard situation.

Scottie Pippen Jr. getting the start over Gilyard. He has been much more aggressive on offense than Gilyard, but is a bit more careless with the ball.

Grizz faded and scored just two points over the final ~4:30 to take the L. Gilly was a team-high +4 and had 5 assists with no turnovers, but only played 16 minutes and was just 1-for-3 from the field.

Sabonis had 26 boards for the Kings, highest total in the NBA this season.

The Grizz have been granted two more 10-day contract hardship exceptions, but they're still not bringing in guards...forward Tosan Evbuomwan and center Trey Jemison.

If Gilly stays up with the Grizz the whole time, he'll run out of games in mid-February.

Hope he stays up for next week’s game in NYC. Monitoring stubhub tix for MSG. Brunson is on absolute fire right now, at an all NBA level so he’s a rough matchup for anyone in the league.

In an exchange of injured guys, the Grizz are sending Adams to the Rockets for Oladipo and three second-round picks.

If GG Jackson would make some of his 3s Gilyard would have a lot more assists, haha. Grizzlies surprisingly up by 7 at the half against the Cavaliers, Gilyard with 5 assists, 1 rebound, 0 points, 0 turnovers in 12 minutes.

Last edited:
I really do love the nba website. Just click on Gilly's 6 assists in the box score and you get the video for all 6, continuously. He had another really nice pass for a 3 late in the half. Then a couple classic NBA assists where he just passed to a guy outside who took 3 dribbles and made a nice individual move for a bucket.

Like everyone else here, my point is he needs to shoot more if he wants a chance to stay at this level. I wasn't criticizing his pass to Jackson, but the NBA isn't about looking to pass, it's about looking to shoot.

Like everyone else here, my point is he needs to shoot more if he wants a chance to stay at this level. I wasn't criticizing his pass to Jackson, but the NBA isn't about looking to pass, it's about looking to shoot.
I disagree. making the right play gets noticed. make winning plays. making that floater is no more impressive than making that pass. and missing that floater is worse.

NBA teams spend tons on evaluation, they are not going by the eye test and points scored to decide how many minutes players are getting.

For all we know, Gilyard could have been asked to focus on helping develop their young players like GG by getting them good looks.

Reactions: UR80sfan
I agree with Rick about shooting more and looking for his scoring as a mandate to future opportunities/success, disagree in this instance since as sman said, he made the correct decision.

As for helping development, yeah, probably. But while that kind of development assistance is great to have around on an injury-plagued season and you're playing G league guys and rookies, most teams have no need for it at the NBA level. You also need to individually perform on all levels, and the primary one is scoring. You could be efficient as hell but if you're not a threat to score, it is an issue in the NBA unless you have an absolute world class skill elsewhere (defending, etc.) Most teams are not using a roster spot on a guy who is good for young guy development, unless it's an old head like Udonis Haslem, or one of LeBron's friends.

Reactions: PASpider and urfan1
Probably Gilyards best individual game so far, got 32 minutes on the court, but a disappointing loss for the Grizzlies. No Pippen Jr. but Rose and Kennard did come in off the bench.

16pts, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 rebounds and a highlight block against Curry.

Gilly was named player of the game for Griz.
Very happy for Gilly. He continues to surpass expectations and has some solid stats this season. In 32 games and 16.8 minutes a game he is averaging 4.2 points a game. He also has the following stats and where he would rank in NBA if he had enough attempts to qualify:

1. He is shooting 42.6% 3 point. Top 20 in NBA

2. 3.4 assist and only 0.6 turnovers a game for a 5.7 Ast/TO ratio. Top 5 in NBA

3 Steals to turnover ratio of 1.2. Top 10 NBA

He is a very solid player, who has been helped by injuries on the team, but more important performed well, which is why he has spent almost the entire season in the NBA. At some point they will need to decide to sent him down to G league or give him a full time contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT