ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

It sounds like the Grizz are also getting Lamar Stevens. He's only played sparingly for the Celtics and his contract will be expiring, so I guess it remains to see if the Grizz plan to keep him or cut him.

Gilly has recently stepped it up. In the 4 games he has played in February he is:

1. Averaging 28.8 minutes a game
2. 11.8 points per game
3. shooting 53.8% from 3s
4. 5.3 assist per game

Those are impressive NBA numbers.

It appears a three-way trade will send Roddy to the Suns while the Grizz get Yuta Watanabe and Chimezie Metu. Nets also involved.

And Jordan Goodwin was involved in today's trade, going from the Suns to the Nets.

Grizz led most of the way against the Bulls, but faded down the stretch to drop the 118–110 decision.

Not a huge night for Gilly, but 8 points on 3-for-7 shooting plus 4 assists and a steal. A few nice highlights, including one of his triples that should have been a 4-point play.

I can’t keep on top of the Grizz roster status, but they just upgraded GG from two-way to a full 4-year contract. The injured Oladipo was waived, while Hurt’s 10-day contract ran out.

I know it's a thing that's been going on for years, but I still can't get used to how many NBA trades involve teams immediately releasing players they "traded" for. I understand it's just a mechanism of the league's financial structure, but it's just weird.

It’s a league where Thad Young has made $140 million in his career yet barely made a blip of an impact on the league as a whole.(He is still in league and was traded yesterday!!) It’s drowning in money, so contracts are more important for some teams than what guys can add on the court. Dallas is flailing wildly trying to win so Luka doesn’t bolt in 2 years, Phoenix and LAL have aging stars and these lesser trades are all about future flexibility. Being caught in no man’s land as 8-11th place in conference is worst spot to be (like the Bulls.)

Also, anyone know how many games Jacob has started? I believe I read that the collective bargaining agreement sets a guy’s free agent cap hold at a certain level (“starter” level) if he starts 7 or more games in a year. Dunno if that impacts his offseason prospects for a guaranteed deal.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I have no idea about the CBA stuff, but Gilly has started 13 games.

For those wondering what I’m talking about,

Cap hold: The placeholder figure a team's own free agent counts against their salary cap until he either signs a new contract or has his rights renounced. This figure varies from player to player based on a variety of factors.

Basically, you count against the salary cap at a certain dollar figure until the team makes a decision on you. It is designed so that teams cannot splurge on free agents and then double back and re-sign their own guys using Bird rights once they are already over the salary cap. (Bird rights allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary.) So you have to exercise Bird rights and your own guys first, before heading onto the open market for new free agents.

Reactions: urfan1
Does that still apply to a guy coming off a two-way contract instead of a regular one?

With Jemison's 10-day contract coming to an end, they've signed him to the 2-way spot vacated by GG's upgrade.

Not sure what the issue was with Gilly, but the coach quickly benched him in the 4th quarter. Did anyone watch the game and know why?

Not sure what the issue was with Gilly, but the coach quickly benched him in the 4th quarter. Did anyone watch the game and know why?
They don't play Gilyard at the end of games, never have. They are concerned about his size and that he will be targeted on defense. He did not make any bad plays when he was in for that minute, he just attempted a 3 and missed, but they quickly subbed in Vince Williams for more size and defense.

Goodwin was waived by the Nets following that trade, and now the Grizz are signing him to a 10-day contract. So that's four A-10 guys in Memphis now. Gives them another PG option for now with Gilly's days running out.

Goodwin was waived by the Nets following that trade, and now the Grizz are signing him to a 10-day contract. So that's four A-10 guys in Memphis now. Gives them another PG option for now with Gilly's days running out.
Yeah, he is likely auditioning for a 2-way to replace Gilyards when it runs out.

Could Gilyard sign another 2-way with a different team after his 2-way runs out with the Grizzlies?

That actually brings up an interesting point. I assumed Gilly would spend the rest of the season with the Hustle following the all-star break, but I guess two-ways aren't guaranteed and the Grizz could just cut him to make room for another 2-way player since he's "spent." That really sucks.

And yeah, I have no idea if he could sign another 2-way for the remainder of the season with another team. I suspect the answer is no.

What's interesting is that if you sign a two-way contract part way through the season, the number of NBA games you can be active for is pro-rated based on how much of the season has been played. But is the reverse not true? If you start the season on a two-way and are active for the first 50 games, you can be waived and you will have been active in 100% of the team's games while you were under the contract?

So I don’t understand all of it but he cannot sign another 2 year, 2-way deal with any team that would include part of the 25-26 season bc you can’t be on a 2-way for 4 years. But 1 year two-way deals are also available.

I did read up on it at one point but cannot recall all the specific NBA labor contract details.

Looks like the Nets currently have 1 2-way spot open, and Milwaukee has 2.

I believe he could do another two-year two-way contract with another team, but only a one-year deal with the Grizzlies. Years of Service are not credited until the end of the season, so even if you are in your fourth year, you only have three Years of Service. From the CBA:

No Team may sign or convert a player to a Two-Way Contract if the player has or may have four (4) or more Years of Service at any point during the Contract. For example, a player with three (3) Years of Service would not be eligible to sign a Two-Way Contract with a term of two (2) years.

No Team may sign or convert a player to a Two-Way Contract, or acquire a Two-Way Contract by means of assignment, if, as a result, the player would or could be under a Two-Way Contract for any part of more than three (3) Salary Cap Years with the same NBA Team. For example, a player who completes a two-year Two-Way Contract with a Team could not subsequently sign a two-year Two-Way Contract with that Team.

Gilyard appears to be at the game and is sitting on the bench, but is in street clothes. They may be alternating between him and Pippen Jr. being active with the number of games on their 2-ways dwindling.

The announcers are talking now about Pippen Jr. having pro-rated games available on his 2-way, which is why he was not active last game according to the Grizzlies coach.

And now they mention Gilyard's 2-way, and that he is inactive due to low number of games left on his 2-way.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Section9.RowD
Gilyard getting more screen time in the broadcast as they show him on the bench and talk about him some more and why he is inactive. Kind of crazy for a 2-way player who is inactive on the bench getting that kind of coverage.

It appears Gilly has been assigned to the Hustle for now. They play in Salt Lake City tonight and Thursday night heading into the break.

I had no hope for his being active in Brooklyn after the break but if he does a stint with the Hustle, that may help those chances, think it is 5th or 6th game after the ASB.

I wonder if they are rationing his and Pippen's games so that they don't have to do what SF talked about previously - make decisions on them before the end of the season just because they need roster spots due to their lack of players?

I remember when we played Pippen/Vanderbilt several years ago, if I am recalling correctly he scored a lot but jacked up a ton of shots in that game. Wish Vandy was one of those series we could have going every year.

We played (and beat) them twice while he was there.

2019: 93–92 win in OT. Pippen fouled out with only 4 points. Gilly had 26.

2020: 78–67 win. Pippen led all scorers with 25 but was 8-for-22 shooting. Gilly only had 8 points but also 6 steals.

We played (and beat) them twice while he was there.

2019: 93–92 win in OT. Pippen fouled out with only 4 points. Gilly had 26.

2020: 78–67 win. Pippen led all scorers with 25 but was 8-for-22 shooting. Gilly only had 8 points but also 6 steals.

Gilyard with the tying bucket...was that Pippen who turns it over on Vandy's final possession, or the player who hits the bucket that gives the Commodores their final lead?

It was a great game to watch and perhaps a sign that the team was headed for a better than expected season.

Go Spiders!

Pippen Jr. listed as out for the game tonight. Not sure if he is injured or they are just alternating between him and Gilyard at this point.

Pippen has a sore lower back. Have not seen word that the Grizz recalled Gilly yet, but he didn't appear to be in Salt Lake with the Hustle last night, so he may have stuck around Memphis.

Gilly playing for the Grizz tonight off the bench. 4 assists in 8 minutes but just one (missed) shot at the half.

Grizzlies put Gilyard in with 30s left and Grizzlies up 3. Probably for his FT shooting, he replaced Lamar Stevens who had just went 0-2 on FTs in the previous possession.

He is taken out immediately after the offensive possession, and the Grizzlies beat the Bucks!

Gilyard with 0 points, 5 assists, 1 rebound, 1 steal, +6 in 15 minutes.

I believe he has 2 games left on his 2-way.

Last edited:
Piece on the Grizz's two-way situation with a focus on Gilly. Confirms he only has two games left with the Grizz, but I don't see a lot of clarity about what happens to him once he reaches that limit.

Upgrading him to a standard contract requires them to open up a roster spot, and it's not clear where that would come from.

It sounds like they could use his slot for another two-way player, whose allowed games would be prorated from the 50-game limit based on how many games are remaining in the season, so that would likely be around 14–15 games depending on when they get signed as the Grizz have 26 games left.

But unaddressed is what happens to him if they go that route. Is he cut entirely? Can he be signed to a Hustle-only deal for the remainder of the season? Could he sign a two-way with another team and get more NBA time (seems unlikely to be allowed)?

Gilyard is on the bench and looks like he is active, but has not entered the game in the first half. Would be unfortunate if he uses one of his two active games without seeing the floor.

No floor time for Gilly as the Grizz fail to hold onto their halftime lead and drop one to the Clippers, 101–95. He should only have one game left with the Grizz on his two-way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT