ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

DNP-CD last night for Gilyard as Memphis won again. They seem to have locked in on a 9 man rotation with Smart out (Rose was also out injured) with only Konchar getting guard minutes off the bench, as they're starting Morant, Bane and V. Williams. Gilyard must be at or near half his 50 games allowed under the 2 way contract about now. Will see how they go about it with that the rest of the way.

He hasn't played in the past four games since Ja came back, and Smart is also back now. And with the Grizz on a four-game win streak with the current rotation, it seems unlikely Gilly will see the floor anytime soon.

He hasn't played in the past four games since Ja came back, and Smart is also back now. And with the Grizz on a four-game win streak with the current rotation, it seems unlikely Gilly will see the floor anytime soon.
Thanks. That's what I figured.

I suspect Gilly will be back in the G league team now that Ja and Smart are both back (not sure how the 2 way contract impacts that though). Gilly was basically out of the rotation before either came, behind both Rose and Vince Williams. Only meaningful time, Gilly got recently was a game where Rose, Smart, and Ja were all out. And if Gilly remains on the team, he is only getting deep garbage minutes or possible time if Memphis decides to have a rest game for its starters.

Rose has been out for two weeks, no word on when he'll be back as he's been listed as "week to week."

I could see Gilly remaining with the Grizz as an emergency option until Rose is healthy again, but he's unlikely to get on the floor.

The Grizz have played 29 games, but I'm not sure if Gilly was officially active for all of them. He did play in one game for the Hustle, so I don't know if that resulted him being inactive for any Grizz games.

Regardless, with him only being able to be active for 50 Grizz games under his two-way contract, they probably want to send him down to the Hustle soon to let him get game time and preserve some of his availability with the Grizz for later in the season if needed.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Ja is out tonight with an (undisclosed as far as I’ve seen) illness. Rose is still out as well. Not sure if that means floor time for Gilly or not.

Memphis getting rolled by Denver. No time for Gilyard yet but with nature if the blowout my guess is he plays a lot in the 4th quarter.

Yeah...down 30 in the third is not good lol.

Anyway, some more good pub for Gilly from Memphis media, including nice quotes from him and his dad, and a short one from Mooney.

Ugly 142–105 loss for the Grizz. Gilly was 2-for-3 from deep with an assist and a block in the 4th. Grizz were outscored by 14 during the quarter as the Nuggets were getting dunks and layups left and right.

Jokic went for a triple-double with 26 (11-for-11 shooting), 14, and 10.

The Hustle pulled out another high-scoring 136–132 win over Iowa tonight. Gilly had 19 points (5-for-10 from deep) and 8 assists, plus 3 steals. He also set the Hustle franchise record for assists at 477.

he's so good.
but do I understand assists incorrectly? 2 videos up he passed to a guy at midcourt. you get an assist even if the guy takes 2 dribbles?

It's a judgment call by the scorer, but they tend to be pretty lenient in crediting. As long as the receiver of the pass immediately moves to drive or shoot, an assist can be credited, even if they dribble in doing so.

Don't ever count Gilly out. He is a fighter. The past 2 games since being sent down to G league have been 2 of the best he has played from a scoring perspective. Hopefully he is getting the confidence to replicate this next time he gets called up to NBA.

Rough night for Gilly in a 118–113 loss to Rio Grande Valley…just 5 points on 1-for-11 shooting. Six assists, 5 boards, and a couple of steals, but also 6 turnovers.

Damn, it is kind of unreal how bad the the player availability issues have been for the Grizzlies.

Reactions: urfan1
with Morant, Rose and Smart ahead of Jacob, he really did step into the best 4th PG spot in the NBA.
quite an opportunity.

The Grizz called up LaRavia from the Hustle yesterday. He's been bouncing back and forth, but not sure if that's an indication they're going to leave Gilly with the Hustle for now and just roll with Smart plus help from existing guys.

You'd think with both Ja and Rose out that they'd want another true PG available, but I guess we'll see.

The Grizz called up LaRavia from the Hustle yesterday. He's been bouncing back and forth, but not sure if that's an indication they're going to leave Gilly with the Hustle for now and just roll with Smart plus help from existing guys.

You'd think with both Ja and Rose out that they'd want another true PG available, but I guess we'll see.
yeah, that would be strange. I liked LaRavia in college. definitely not a PG though.

Grizz maybe in full tank for the lottery mode… why not let the 5’6 PG run the show and let’s see if Gilly can go on a Linsanity run
Gilly is buried in their depth chart right now. Even before Ja came back he had lost his place in the rotation, so not sure Ja being out again changes anything. I think he is not enough of a scoring threat for him to get major minutes right now, especially playing with Smart, who is also not a prolific scorer for a PG.

If he comes back, think he needs to be more assertive on offense, that is my two cents.

Reactions: urfan1
100% agree 97, said that same thing many times here.

Also, Gilyard only has what, 30 more games he can play on his 2 way? My guess is when the final 30 games come around he will get the call back, as Memphis waves the white towel. But if they brought him back now those (likely) junk games at end of the season he’d have to go back to the Gleague bc he’d have exhausted his 50 max.

I believe he was active for at least 24 of Ja's 25-game suspension, so that would be a max of 26 games left before they'd have to leave him with the Hustle or convert him to a full contract.

My guess is with Ja out for the full season they may try to find a more permanent solution than Gilyard. Hope he gets more time though

Memphis is dead in the water. This is a lost year for them. The last 6 weeks Gilyard might play 25-30 mpg as they will either trade any guys not part of the plans or shut down/limit other guys to avoid a similar late season injury debacle to what they had this year (Clarke and Adams both got injured late last year) also and improve their draft positioning at the same time. Smart is a guy I would trade to a contender - the limited experience he had showed him not a great fit next to Bane IMO. Rose too, but he is injured way to much to have any value. Laravia has not done anything in his opportunities, their fan base has zero belief in him. Same with Ziaire Williams.

Gilly has to bring that offensive mindset with him when he gets back up there. I do feel like he’s using his assignment to hunt more shots now that he got that NBA run. End of year has to be a showcase for him.

Gilly still with the Hustle and had 10 points and 12 assists tonight, but only 4-for-14 shooting and 2-for-8 from deep.

Smart only played 21 minutes tonight because of a dislocated finger he didn’t notice until he was celebrating a triple. Grizz played the rest of the game without a PG and still won.

The Grizz have waived Biyombo and are expected to sign Vince to a full contract.

Well, that dislocated finger is now a "severe" injury that will keep Smart out 6 weeks. Have to think this will open the door for Gilyard? The Grizzlies are getting completely screwed.

I've never seen a team as decimated by injury as they are this season.

Adams
Clarke
Morant
Kennard
Smart

All rotation guys, 3 of them out for the year. Not counting Rose bc that's just who he is, a walking day-to-day guy.

Hope Gilyard gets the call up for his last 24 games, whenever, and excels in the opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT