ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

Gilly was on with Bob Black, some good stuff in there. Did confirm his two-way deal is for next year as well. He also gets to practice and travel with the Grizzlies throughout the playoffs, though he obviously can't be on the active roster. Valuable experience for him.

Staying with the NBA theme, there is a small chance U of R could have 3 NBA players from our last NCAA team. If it happens it should help recruiting. Here are my thoughts:

1. Gilly, already has 2 way contract.

2. Grant, just had a terrific 1st year in the G league. I would think scouts have to be looking closely at him this summer and he has a decent chance of getting some NBA experience.

3. Burton, if he comes back for another year at U of R and improves his shooting, I think it will significantly increase the probability of making the NBA, where he might eventually excel. If he leaves early to go the G league, like Blake did and doesn't perform as well as Grant and Gilly his 1st year, his probability of making the NBA drops a lot.

4. Blake, low probability unless he really turns it on in the G league. He might have been in a better position if he stayed another year at U or R.

5. ShawnDre, low probability unless he gets lucky due to a team needing him to replace multiple injured players. He has been a solid player in the G League for a number of years and that experience might be valuable to an NBA team at some point.

Two-way guys can be active for up to 50 of the NBA team's 82 games. I don't have specific data, but I feel like most guys spend a decent amount of time with the NBA team. Not 50 games, but seems like many of them will play in perhaps a dozen games or so plus be active but not get in for some more.

Lofton played in 23 games for the Grizzlies (plus the final game after he moved up to a regular contract), while Vince appeared in 15 games.

Two-way guys get a flat salary that comes out to about $500k or so (it's half the rookie minimum), regardless of how much time they spend at each level.

Was Gilly sitting on the bench for the last payoff game? I watched part of the game from an airport bar, but it was difficult to see who was on the bench.

He was there...pregame photo from last night.

2023-nba-playoffs-los-angeles-lakers-v-memphis-grizzlies.jpg

Interesting stat on Gilly. Not including Johnny Newman. There have only been 2 seasons in the NBA where a U of R player had more minutes than Gilly.
1. Harper 11-12 season 84 minutes
2. Schweitz 84-85 season 62 minutes
3. Gilly 22-23 season 41 minutes

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PASpider and urfan1
LOL.

Official stats of course have minimum requirements to be included.
True, but it is still a pretty cool to be able to stay, outside the the minimum game requirement, I lead the NBA in steals per game. Also, I have done no research on this, but there is a chance he is the all-time NBA leader in steals per game.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year in Memphis. Ja is facing a likely lengthy suspension to start the season, Brooks is gone and it is pretty clear despite the talent on that roster that Memphis lacks the collective maturity to be a contender. Does that present an opportunity for Gilly, a player who is a leader and despite being young and will play a position of need for Memphis at the beginning of the season next year.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Have to imagine the Grizz will sign a solid PG or two. No way they want to rely heavily on an unproven Gilly, but they obviously like him well enough to sign him to a two-way. So depending on how things play out with Ja, if he's suspended rather than cut loose maybe Gilly can get some of those early minutes to mind the store.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year in Memphis. Ja is facing a likely lengthy suspension to start the season, Brooks is gone and it is pretty clear despite the talent on that roster that Memphis lacks the collective maturity to be a contender. Does that present an opportunity for Gilly, a player who is a leader and despite being young and will play a position of need for Memphis at the beginning of the season next year.
Part of being successful is being in the right place at the right time and then performing. He seemed to adjust to Division one basketball his 1st game. He also quickly adjusted to the G-league and had a very strong season. Finally, when given the opportunity to play in the NBA had a terrific 1st game. It seems the stars are aligning for him, but SFspider could be right. They might bring in a someone ahead of him.

Have to imagine the Grizz will sign a solid PG or two. No way they want to rely heavily on an unproven Gilly, but they obviously like him well enough to sign him to a two-way. So depending on how things play out with Ja, if he's suspended rather than cut loose maybe Gilly can get some of those early minutes to mind the store.
Ja will be locked and loaded and ready to get his shot off next year.

Ja is an idiot but Memphis would be equally foolish to cut him loose. He is one of the most exciting players in the league, a rising young star. If he can stop shooting himself in the foot (figuratively but if he keeps this crap up, could be literally), any franchise would want him on their roster.

Yeah, unless he murders someone live on Instagram, he’s not getting cut. He has been stupid but he hasn’t threatened anyone with a gun or been violent. Lots of guys have done a lot worse and still play.

Also, it’s theoretically possible that Gilly is the all-time leader in steals per nanoseconds in the entire Milky Way galaxy.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I'm talking about the teenager he was playing pick up with this spring who he allegedly punched in the face a dozen times and then went and got his gun.

Yes, I read an article about these other incidents prior to just waving a gun around on IG. Hope he straightens his act and Gilly finds other guys to hang with off the court. SF probably right in that they will bring in a known commodity if he is suspended for awhile. Still hopeful that Gilly gets more chance with the situation.

it could be a crime:

brandishing

1. wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.
    "a man leaped out brandishing a knife"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT