ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

Well it looks like Gilly has hit the perfect storm. I will say you don't get opportunities like this in life often, so hope he can take advantage. And by take advantage, Gilly, you are going to be an NBA PG, you need to score my man.

I signed up for league pass trial since Grizz have 5 games the next 7 days. Gilyard came in about 2/3 of way through 1Q with Memphis up 20-14, got an assist right away but otherwise pretty quiet as Memphis went a lot of iso play, but managed to maintain its lead on the Clippers after the first, 26-23.

very quick 10-0 run by Clippers to go up 6, Grizz just iso shooting 3s and not playing good defense as a unit. Gilyard kind of invisible in the action. They're running terrible sets on offense honestly.

Grizzlies give up 42 in 2nd quarter and trail by a dozen at half. Gilyard came out of the game after the LAC run and didn't re-enter. Unmemorable half but again, I hated the sets they ran to give Jackson so many isos when he was the guy that Memphis asked to carry load when Bane sat. Jackson is not a star but thinks he is and they treat him like one at present.

Gilly back in to start 4th with Grizz down 21. He's guarding Westbrook, who is targeting him. That may be a good thing for Memphis bc Russ can't shoot and his iso's have Memphis back within 16 on a 9-4 run and Clippers timeout. One assist for Gilyard but still no FGA that I am aware of in his 11m.

Yeah, 0-for-2 from deep and mostly garbage time assists. Still needs to make more of his time on the court.

Reactions: urfan1
Grizz backups play hard and get the LAC lead down to 10 and end up losing by 9.

Jacob ends with 8 assists, 7 of them in the 4th quarter. 0-2 from deep, zero points and 1 bad turnover when he ventured into the lane and thew it away, that led to a run out and one for LAC.

Stats look okay but not a great game for him. Much better in 4th quarter but still issues on defense and getting offense going for himself.

Well, good news is Gilly is shooting more, bad news is he's only 2-for-8 including 1-for-6 from deep. Does have 7 assists and a couple of steals with no turnovers though.

door closes, a window opens. just hope Gilly can make it work.

Damn, was hoping Gilly would get a start against the Warriors and Curry today, but they’re going with Kennard and Vince Williams at G. Hope Gilly can get some run and we can see him matched up against Steph.

Basic. GOT to score in NBA. Steals and assists alone won't keep you with the Big Team for long.

Rooting for Gilly, but got to crank up the O. Not sure it is at NBA level.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
JJJ and Aldama are available this game. Even though they are forwards, it pushes Gilyard down the depth chart.

Basic. GOT to score in NBA. Steals and assists alone won't keep you with the Big Team for long.

Rooting for Gilly, but got to crank up the O. Not sure it is at NBA level.
This.... He has an opportunity here but he has got to bring some offense. Gilly is never going to be a starter in the NBA (too short) but if he can show that he can hit the 3 ball and maybe use his quickness for other baskets, he could position himself to be a good bench player.

I assume they had a 2 way open when they gave V. Williams a full nba deal.

This is the nature of the 2 way. As someone said, Gilyard has only 20 games left and all their other PGs are injured. They need a body for the other 25 games. Zero reason for Memphis to change it this year unless they decide they want him on a multiyear deal like they did with Williams. I’d have to imagine the coaching staff loves him.

Next thing to see is what happens w/ Gilyard’s next deal after his 2 way deal ends at season’s end.

Keep shooting.

From another forum

"If a player is signed to a Two-Way Contract after the start of a Regular Season, the maximum number of games for which such player may be on the Active List during that Regular Season shall be fifty (50) multiplied by a fraction, the numerator of which is the number of days remaining in such Regular Season as of the date such Two-Way Contract is entered into (including the day on which the Two-Way Contract is entered into), and the denominator of which is the total number of days of such Regular Season, rounded to the nearest whole number; provided, however, that in no event shall the maximum number of games for which a player may be on the Active List be fewer than one (1)."

The number of eligible games remaining between Gilyard and Pippen is 42, which is the total number of games left in the season. It is likely this is not a coincidence, and they will have one of the two active in each of the remaining games.

It looks like Pippin is in the building tonight, but I don't think he's active. Gilly is on the bench but not starting.

Gilly on the floor to start the second quarter. Missed a three, has a steal, and a board pretty much came right to him.

Edit: Got a 9-minute run. Also missed a step-back mid-range jumper. Had one assist and generally brought the ball up, but wasn't heavily involved in a lot of the offensive sets.

Last edited:
they didn't credit him with the steal, which was essentially a loose ball that rolled to him, maybe the guy who knocked it free got the steal? Did get a rebound as well. The 3 was contested, the mid range 2 was open, he should make that. Chris Paul lived on jumpers from that exact spot his whole career. The assist was straight out of the UR playbook, backdoor baseline pass to Aldama for a dunk.

The Memphis +/- is wild. Everyone is even or in positive numbers - a few guys way into the positive - except Ziaire Williams and GG Jackson who played 7 minutes together and were both -16 as they played end of 1Q/beginning of 2Q. Gilly +3 in 8:30 of time. Honestly, as I was watching in the 2nd quarterI didn't know what Memphis was doing bc those guys were just doing wild stuff on the offensive end, making terrible plays all over. Minny had b2b breakaway dunks at one point off of those guys' specific bad play. Memphis up 5 at half.

ESPN initially had the steal credited to Gilly, but they've changed it to Tillman.

They have had Gilyard sitting in the 1st and 3rd, but starting the 2nd and 4th quarters recently.

Couple of dimes for Gilly, but T-Wolves are draining threes all over the place this quarter. Just subbed Gilly out with 7 minutes left, so he's probably done for the night.

yup, defense was an issue was Minny went on that run. Jacob went for a steal, knocked ball loose but then they recovered it and he was out of position and they scored. Then he hedged down a little too much and didn't recover back to his man in time who hit a 3. Not a great night overall. I'm still unclear what Memphis offensive sets are with their 2nd unit, a whole lot of standing around.

Grizz get blown out by the mediocre Bulls. Not much of a stat line for Gilly in his 16 minutes...3 points on 1-for-3 from deep, an assist, and a board.

Pippen was also active and got on the floor for two minutes, so there goes the theory about having only one of those two guys active each game to make it through the season. But it's desperate times...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT