ADVERTISEMENT

Clint Peay Steps Down

while i see the opportunity being attractive, really hope he took HIS program and team into consideration as well. from a timing standpoint, could not be worse. know i had a career opportunity of a lifetime early in my professional life and as much as i wanted it, could not take it because of obligations i felt i owed others. hope the guys stick together and this gives them incentive to even better.

So I see no indications that Richie Williams has stepped down as coach of U17 team. Wonder if the Collegian doesn't have it quite right.

US Soccer tends to operate this way (they like to announce firings and hirings at the same time, like they did when they fired Bob Bradley, then immediately announced the hiring of Jurgen Klinsmann). I would expect a similar announcement in the next day or two from US Soccer.

The timing of this sucks, but if it is true (no reason to think it is not true), it actually reflects positively on the University program to the rest of the soccer community. A move like this potentially positions Clint as a possible replacement for Klinsmann in a few years. Coaching a full/senior national team, especially in a setting like a World Cup, is the pinnacle of the profession.

Clint has close ties to Bob Jenkins who is the director of coaching for the Richmond Strikers. Jenkins was the U-18 national team coach 5 or 6 years ago, and Clint was playing at UVA when Jenkins was an assistant under Bruce Arena. In many ways, this doesn't surprise me a lot.

It is really a shame for the players, and this was going to be the breakthrough year (all of his players, only losing two seniors of little consequence). It is also a major blow to the program, even though there are several good candidates with ties to the UR soccer program (like Peter McIvoy at Randolph Macon).

I'm concerned that this provides a real opportunity for the athletic department to drop men's soccer and replace it with lacrosse, which would truly suck in my opinion.

http://www.conquestgraphics.com

Spinner - hear what you are saying, and the thing we will likely never know is if there was some sort of tension or differences of opinion/approach between Clint, the athletic department, or university administration. Perhaps Jim MIller's decision to step down played a role, who knows?

Clint is a very intelligent/thoughtful, level-headed guy, I'm sure he considered all aspects of making a career change like this before he pulled the trigger.

The biggest shame is the timing, and that is what it is.

Clint's auto-response message on his U of R email account says he has accepted a new position, and to refer questions to the assistant coach (Gibbens) or the athletic department.

Seems to be more than a rumor...

almost have to think in terms of an interim at this point or you will be trying to hire a guy getting his team ready wherever he is and that is not fair either, timing is just terrible. am happy for Clint, a great opportunity but wish he would have declined based on the timing and other opportunities would present themselves down the road. not saying he owed us anything and that you do not look out for yourself but sometimes, you do have a responsibility to others.

I'm thinking our brand-new assistant coach, Zach Gibbens, will be named the interim coach, and the team will essentially be led by our seniors (Houston Oldham and company). Just not enough time to bring in anyone credible from the outside for this season.

That said, there are several coaches around the state coaching at D-3 schools with connections to the program who could take the helm for next year, or they could do another national search. Depends what the athletic department wants to do.

As an alum, former player, and supporter of the program, I think the timing sucks. I also think it's not realistic in today's college sports environment to think that a coach would pass on an opportunity like Clint was presented with just because the timing was bad for the program.

Clint has had to endure not having a decent soccer facility on campus (games and training at Ukrop Park), the prospect of mens' soccer being demoted/eliminated in favor of lacrosse, and the announced resignation of Jim Miller, among other things. This upcoming season was supposed to be the breakthrough season where he had 100% of his own recruits, and only lost 2 seniors. But I can tell you that despite all the good things accomplished by his teams (including the top academic performance of any athletic teams at Richmond, and at or near the top of the A-10 academically), if they have a sub-par W-L performance this year, some people would be calling for a new coach.

We also don't know if there were any differences of direction/opinion between Clint and the school that we didn't know about that may have contributed to his leaving, either.

It's a tough situation for the program and the kids, but I can't say if I would have made a different decision if I were in his shoes.

Having a son as D1 soccer coach, to have an opportunity to have exposure to national team program, for career advancement, it wouldbe no brainer. Due to experience, you would be even more attractive to the college ranks. At Clint's age this is a strong career move if he is making coaching his career.

Kickers HC Cowlishaw has been named Interim HC, effective immediately. Edit: He will continue to coach the Kickers as well.
This post was edited on 8/7 4:35 PM by Spiders10

Certainly a great person to have onboard, but I wonder how much he'll be able to put into the Spiders. His priorities will be with the Kickers, but he should be able to provide some measure of stability and guidance as we look to get things squared away for the long term.

Hopefully he will have the time he needs, Spiders game schedule was 8-12 to 11-11. Kickers was from 4-7 to 8-17.

Wow, for our team and the predicament we were in, this is a great get for the athletic dept. I remember playing against Leigh his first year after graduating at some of the walk-on tryouts. He's a great mentor, hopefully he's a good stopgap for the current players.

only wish we had the money to make the job attractive to him on a permanent basis, would be super though not sure he would wish to be involved in the recruiting process.

Spinner, you think UR couldn't pay him as much as the Kickers are paying him??? UR has plenty of dough if they want him permanently and he isnt making a ton of dough coaching the Kickers.

just under the impression that we do not pay a lot for our olympic sports coaches, don't know that for a fact, just my feeling. don't know what the kickers pay either. would like to be informed, so let's hear it from someone in the know on both subjects.

This post was edited on 8/29 10:01 AM by WebSpinner

In 2010-2011, UR's seven men's team head coaches were paid an average of $216k. That's obviously skewed by basketball and football.

UR's eight women's team head coaches were paid an average of $71k. Obviously a range there too with Shafer certainly at the high end, but that women's average might give a reasonable estimate of salary for men's olympic sport positions.

it would be nice if a donor stepped forward and provided the support to build a really nice, on-campus, stadium and increased pay for both coaching positions and retain Leigh. thanks SF, can always count on you.

I agree re: the soccer field (and relocating the track to make room for RS expansion once we get back to our winning ways) but it isn't in the master plan. Not that it's the end all/be all but I think a dedicated soccer facility is a long shot at this point.

05, there are some structures on campus now and completed recently, which were not on the master plans at all so things can change very quickly if someone steps forward and says "this is what i want to do" and "here is the money for it". am not indicating that i know of a donor who is a soccer fanatic but you never know when a guy or lady will walk in the door and say the above.

Robins Stadium was just one of those structures.

Would really have to consider where and how a soccer stadium (with or without track) would fit into the master plan though. Really only space would be at the River Road fields, where they are already planning on turning the two existing fields into four artificial turf fields that would be shared between athletics and rec use. Putting a stadium would probably take out at least two of those fields, leaving three...one in the stadium and two adjoining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT