ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mooney – this is who he is

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
Chris Mooney has been our coach for 17 years. He has a winning percentage of 56%.

In the past five years, his team has an overall winning percentage of 55% (79-65) and a winning percentage of 54% in A-10 games (42-35).

In 15 years of the A-10 tournament (the 2020 one was cancelled), his teams are 11-14 (44%) and have made it at least to the semifinals only three times (20% of the time). Nine other A-10 teams (including two that left the league years ago) have made it at least 4 times or more during Mooney's tenure here.

This year, we have a winning percentage of 58% in A-10 games. Five of our seven wins are against the worst five teams in the league. We are 0-3 against the teams ahead of us.

When someone shows you who he is, believe him. After 17 years, we know who Chris Mooney is, and this is it – a coach who with any assortment of players, including some of the all-time greats in program history, will only win about 55% of the time. His teams will mostly beat teams that are clearly worse and mostly lose to teams that are equal or clearly better. They will not win regular season or tournament titles. They will not advance beyond the quarterfinals of the A-10 tournament. They will not make the NCAA tournament.

If we have any true aspirations to do better and be better, this will be Chris Mooney's last year as our coach. I don't know how much more apparent it needs to be.

Last edited:
Chris Mooney has been our coach for 17 years. He has a winning percentage of 56%.

In the past five years, his team has an overall winning percentage of 55% (79-65) and a winning percentage of 54% in A-10 games (42-35).

In 15 years of the A-10 tournament (the 2020 one was cancelled), his teams are 11-14 (44%) and have made it at least to the semifinals only three times (20% of the time). Nine other A-10 teams (including two that left the league years ago) have made it at least 4 times or more during Mooney's tenure here.

This year, we have a winning percentage of 58% in A-10 games. Five of our seven wins are against the worst five teams in the league. We haven't beaten anyone ahead of us and are 0-3 against them.

When someone shows you who he is, believe him. After 17 years, we know who Chris Mooney is, and this is it – a coach who with any assortment of players, including some of the all-time greats in program history, will only win about 55% of the time. His teams will mostly beat teams that are clearly worse and mostly lose to teams that are equal or clearly better. They will not win regular season or tournament titles. They will not advance beyond the quarterfinals of the A-10 tournament. They will not make the NCAA tournament.

If we have any true aspirations to do better and be better, this will be Chris Mooney's last year as our coach. I don't know how much more apparent it needs to be.
Maybe you should send a link to these boards and posts to the AD? So he can see how unhappy you all are with our coach and program. athleticdirector@richmond.edu

Reactions: WestEndEd
Excellent write-up. It falls under a label of sad but true. No - sad but very true.

We deserve better. There is practically no chance of this happening until we have a new coach with an entirely different approach.

I said it in another thread. The schedule and skills of this year's team were set up to make the NCAA. We have badly underachieved & only have one route now to the tourney. The problem is top down & needs to be replaced. Until then, I see no chances on the horizon of March Madness for our team.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Problem is, there's no one who has any motivation to do that. Bob obviously won't, Matt Josephs would but he also works for the flagship station of Spider sports and probably would be told not to. JOC isn't going to, and there are like 3 TV sportscasters in this market, but they don't rock the boat. It's basically up to David Teel, the only sports opinion columnist/media figure in the market.

This year, we have a winning percentage of 58% in A-10 games. Five of our seven wins are against the worst five teams in the league. We are 0-3 against the teams ahead of us.

Spot on as always. This team will go down as the Mooney all time underperforming team. Question is, will it make one iota of difference to the decision makers who seeming stunningly deaf to the facts around the situation.

Spot on as always. This team will go down as the Mooney all time underperforming team. Question is, will it make one iota of difference to the decision makers who seeming stunningly deaf to the facts around the situation.
Iota of difference? My gut says near zero. However there are wishes and hopes, and those are the crumbs that the “leadership” has passed down to real fans.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Mooney has to go

dumpster-fire.gif

Calling anyone in the administration who is willing to put it out....................

We have above average to great individual talent on this team, but unfortunately as a team they are solidly mediocre.
Do we though? We have some guys who are very good at certain aspects of the game, but overall are they great talents? They've put up gaudy numbers, but the cupboard was so bare when those guys showed up that they were pressed into service as freshmen and now with the bonus year they've had five years' worth of starters minutes to rack up their stats.

Gilyard has probably already played more minutes than anyone else in NCAA history.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Do we though? We have some guys who are very good at certain aspects of the game, but overall are they great talents? They've put up gaudy numbers, but the cupboard was so bare when those guys showed up that they were pressed into service as freshmen and now with the bonus year they've had five years' worth of starters minutes to rack up their stats.

Gilyard has probably already played more minutes than anyone else in NCAA history.
I think Gilyard is right up there with all our other guards in the Mooney era (sans Kevin Anderson). I’d put is passing and thief skills up there against any of them, but probably shooting and consistent greatness below others (Anthony, SDJ, Lindsay).

Reactions: Not-A-Homer

This is a good point. I agree that we don't have super great players. Yes, very good players at certain aspects, but every single year I come on here and point out serious holes on the roster, and every single year they are exposed. How about we get an athletic 2 guard that is 6'3 and can shoot 38% from 3? How about some athletic depth inside. Cayo is athletic, but never developed a shot outside of 7 feet and is on the short side for playing inside. Golden is a super skilled player, we have banged on his weaknesses, but if we had a 6'8 stud next to him those would not have mattered. Mooney is a mediocre game coach and motivator, but even bigger problem is recruiting.

I think Gilyard is right up there with all our other guards in the Mooney era (sans Kevin Anderson). I’d put is passing and thief skills up there against any of them, but probably shooting and consistent greatness below others (Anthony, SDJ, Lindsay).
We all have to agree that Mooney has had some of the best under 6 foot guards in the country for the past 14 years or so. Since we don’t rebound and will never defend the rim, why don’t we get 6 or 8 of those guys and and run people into the ground with them?

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Lindsay and Anthony were much better scorers than Gilly. Anthony was a much better shooter than Gilly. All 3 of those guys are also taking the last shot in the game. They are not dishing to a player far under the basket with the game on the line.

Gilly probably our best passer and obviously steals though.

This is a good point. I agree that we don't have super great players. Yes, very good players at certain aspects, but every single year I come on here and point out serious holes on the roster, and every single year they are exposed. How about we get an athletic 2 guard that is 6'3 and can shoot 38% from 3? How about some athletic depth inside. Cayo is athletic, but never developed a shot outside of 7 feet and is on the short side for playing inside. Golden is a super skilled player, we have banged on his weaknesses, but if we had a 6'8 stud next to him those would not have mattered. Mooney is a mediocre game coach and motivator, but even bigger problem is recruiting.
Golden and Cayo are both good frontcourt players. Golden's more than good. but I don't think they're paired well together. neither is a plus defender or rebounder and one of the two needs to be.

Cayo scores at a high percentage from 2 but I don't know if you can win these days with a starting big (but undersized) forward like him. at least not with the roster we have aroud him. he's a strong low post offensive player but a non-shooter and he doesn't rebound at a very high rate or alter shots. teams leave him open on the perimeter and clog up the inside.

somebody here (23? Trap?) has talked about Mooney's recruiting near misses at the 4. it continues with Buchanan. I think there's been a few that could have pushed Cayo to a reserve roll. but we haven't landed any.

Reactions: nathanw19
Yes, very good point, and in line with my point. Cayo had a couple of really good years for us, but does not complement Golden well. Its like Mooney guarantees guys he will not bring in competition for their spot. I know sman you have made the valid point that it is hard to recruit guys, when there is a good player at their position - but Mooney just fails repeatedly at building any depth or competition on the roster.

That only includes since 2009–10, which is why I didn't say definitively. :)
K. Anderson 139 games 5041 minutes

And a lot of A-10 guys in Top 90 in that list

Last edited:
Yes, very good point, and in line with my point. Cayo had a couple of really good years for us, but does not complement Golden well. Its like Mooney guarantees guys he will not bring in competition for their spot. I know sman you have made the valid point that it is hard to recruit guys, when there is a good player at their position - but Mooney just fails repeatedly at building any depth or competition on the roster.
I can't imagine he's not trying to bring in competition. I think we're set up for solid competition at the guard spots. but he's had no success bringing in legit competition in the frontcourt.

Lindsay and Anthony were much better scorers than Gilly. Anthony was a much better shooter than Gilly. All 3 of those guys are also taking the last shot in the game. They are not dishing to a player far under the basket with the game on the line.

Gilly probably our best passer and obviously steals though.
Cedric is my all time favorite Spider.

I refuse to acknowledge any of the accolades from any spider player after the sweet 16 team. I especially don’t recognize any of them on this current team. These guys are straight up losers. They are so brainwashed by mooney it’s not even funny, they are all just a reflection of their coach. I get sick when I see the all time steals banner up in the rafters or when I see grant Golden getting towards the top of the all time scoring list. Nothing to show for these guys.

Was talking to someone recently about a guy like kendall Anthony who to my
Knowledge has not returned to UR since he left. The person I was talking to said he truly believes kendall doesn’t look back fondly on his career at UR because he never got to play in the NCAA’s and he is sort of bitter towards the coaching staff because of that. Does anyone know if this has any truth to it? If so it totally makes sense. I love kendall and it’s truly a shame that a guy like him never got for play on the big stage. There’s a whole list of other guys just like him from this program that never got that opportunity either. Time to change that.

We are stuck in a really bad cycle of mediocrity. Mooney is able to make us pretty enough to maintain the status quo but always falling short of the key metrics outlined by Eight Legger and GKiller. We are really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one -- good enough to be competitive but never great enough to be the Belle of the Ball.

We will win at least 20 this year, likely get a spot in the NIT, and "success" will have been achieved (again). It feels like the only path to being Mooney-free is irrelevence and none of us want to see the team fall that far.

We are stuck in a really bad cycle of mediocrity. Mooney is able to make us pretty enough to maintain the status quo but always falling short of the key metrics outlined by Eight Legger and GKiller. We are really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one -- good enough to be competitive but never great enough to be the Belle of the Ball.

We will win at least 20 this year, likely get a spot in the NIT, and "success" will have been achieved (again). It feels like the only path to being Mooney-free is irrelevence and none of us want to see the team fall that far.
Hopefully that makes y’all understand why I don’t care if this team loses and after a certain point in the season sort of prefer it. I know how inept our administration is and the only way to see a change is a complete dumpster fire of losing. Maybe next year we will finally be so bad that will actually occur.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT