ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mooney – this is who he is

The rest of your post still stands though. Go back and count the multitude of "all time greats" we have had in the past ten years of this program that never played a minute on the biggest stage in college basketball.
Kendall Anthony was a fierce competitor, I have no idea if he is bitter about not making an NCAA tournament, but I wouldn't blame him if he was and it would be reflective of his strong drive to win.

This team could use a Kendall Anthony on it. I don't see that same singularly driven focus by many of our players, which is reflected in their numerous statements about the team this year.

In their defense, 6 years of listening to Mooney's competing BS, will drive the wining spirit and drive out of anyone. So now the focus is on individual accomplishments because they know the team is never going to meet expectations.

Train wreck that continues to barrel down the track. Just make the goal of being in the NIT the be all to end all and our program can continue in the same direction indefinitely....oh wait I guess we have already done that.............

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I refuse to acknowledge any of the accolades from any spider player after the sweet 16 team. I especially don’t recognize any of them on this current team. These guys are straight up losers.
I should let that go but I can't. it's just a %^$# thing to say from your soft leather chair. all these players the past 10 years, whether they've given you the water cooler glory you think you deserve or not, are busting their asses and making sacrifices. they play in pain, suffer injuries, have surgeries, collapse on the court, and I'm sure agonize over losses more than any of us. they also have families holding their breath on every shot they miss or every rebound they don't get. but to you they're losers. come on. be better than that.

We are stuck in a really bad cycle of mediocrity. Mooney is able to make us pretty enough to maintain the status quo but always falling short of the key metrics outlined by Eight Legger and GKiller. We are really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one -- good enough to be competitive but never great enough to be the Belle of the Ball.

We will win at least 20 this year, likely get a spot in the NIT, and "success" will have been achieved (again). It feels like the only path to being Mooney-free is irrelevence and none of us want to see the team fall that far.
True, but “good enough to be competitive” at this stage is not good enough. That standard would be ok for a couple years, but Mooney lives it.

I think Gilyard is right up there with all our other guards in the Mooney era (sans Kevin Anderson). I’d put is passing and thief skills up there against any of them, but probably shooting and consistent greatness below others (Anthony, SDJ, Lindsay).
Besides steals though, do you see him as a good one on one defender? I dont. All teams he has been on have been pretty lousy all around defensive teams. His steal numbers are great but his straight up D is often sub par as is the rest of the teams.

I should let that go but I can't. it's just a ^%$# thing to say from your soft leather chair. all these players the past 10 years, whether they've given you the water cooler glory you think you deserve or not, are busting their asses and making sacrifices. they play in pain, suffer injuries, have surgeries, collapse on the court, and I'm sure agonize over losses more than any of us. they also have families holding their breath on every shot they miss or every rebound they don't get. but to you they're losers. come on. be better than that.
^
This.

Reactions: plydogg
Spot on as always. This team will go down as the Mooney all time underperforming team. Question is, will it make one iota of difference to the decision makers who seeming stunningly deaf to the facts around the situation.
Sadly I foresee Mooney staying until the ship completely sinks. Next years team will be absolutely abysmal. I dont see 10 wins. But admin will call it a rebuilding year and give Moondog another year. After another disastrous season (8-10 wins) and no hope in sight, they will make a change.

Sadly I foresee Mooney staying until the ship completely sinks. Next years team will be absolutely abysmal. I dont see 10 wins. But admin will call it a rebuilding year and give Moondog another year. After another disastrous season (8-10 wins) and no hope in sight, they will make a change.
This year's team has already done enough to keep the Moon Man's job safe in my estimation. Then next year and most likely the year after can just be attributed to lack of experience and such. So by my count the next honest shot at a "coaching hot seat" season is the 2024/25 season.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Father, with respect to next year I don't see this at all. We have plenty of returning talent. Ironically, the key is if Grace stays, otherwise we are down to a freshman big. Need Goose and Crabtree back too. Throw in Dji, Wilson, Randolph and Nelson, we have a competitive team.

Expect us to be a .500 or slightly better team if Grace comes back. Not good enough for me, but this is where we have been parked on average for a number of years.

Last edited:
We are stuck in a really bad cycle of mediocrity. Mooney is able to make us pretty enough to maintain the status quo but always falling short of the key metrics outlined by Eight Legger and GKiller. We are really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one -- good enough to be competitive but never great enough to be the Belle of the Ball.

We will win at least 20 this year, likely get a spot in the NIT, and "success" will have been achieved (again). It feels like the only path to being Mooney-free is irrelevence and none of us want to see the team fall that far.
I dont see the NIT for this team. We will have 12-13 losses and have 5 A-10 schools ahead of us in the standings. 2 more very likely wins and 2 very likely losses with 2 toss ups w StL and Dayton at home. One of those is likely a loss w both those teams playing good ball now.
One A-10 tourney win and we end 20-13. With only 1 A-10 auto bid if Davidson wins it and 4 teams ahead of us, and w the ACC only getting 3-4 teams in, spells no NIT for 5th place UR.

Father, with respect to next year I don't see this at all. We have plenty of returning talent. Ironically, the key is if Grace stays, otherwise we are down to a freshman big. Need Goose and Crabtree back too. Throw in Dji, Wilson, Randolph and Nelson, we have a competitive team.

Expect us to be a .500 or slightly better team if Grace comes back. Not good enough for me, but this is where we have been parked on average for a number of years.
Ok i respect ur opinion but experience natters and there is like a combined 20 minutes of experience there. Grace has improved but to think he will be at even 50% of GG’s offensive output is a stretch. No disrespect to Matt but Depending a season on him is unfair. We shall see but I think below 10 wins is a likelihood unless they schedule no one, which is very likely.

somebody here (23? Trap?) has talked about Mooney's recruiting near misses at the 4. it continues with Buchanan. I think there's been a few that could have pushed Cayo to a reserve roll. but we haven't landed any.
Serious question: who was the last legit 4/F we landed? Terry Allen? It literally feels like an eternity.

This year's team has already done enough to keep the Moon Man's job safe in my estimation. Then next year and most likely the year after can just be attributed to lack of experience and such. So by my count the next honest shot at a "coaching hot seat" season is the 2024/25 season.
Idk, there’s a distinct possibility we go 2-4 the rest of the way. 18-13 without any certainty around how we’d fare in the A10 tourney is hardly a guarantee to make the NIT.

But of course that’s a quasi-rational perspective which isn’t really what our AD used to gauge retention.

I would agree with your optimism IF their is a new coach (which their won't be). With Mooney at the helm, the team will very likely be chaotic. Absent transfers, the inside game will not be solid enough to win big. I think that 10-12 wins is being generous.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderK
I would agree with your optimism IF their is a new coach (which their won't be). With Mooney at the helm, the team will very likely be chaotic. Absent transfers, the inside game will not be solid enough to win big. I think that 10-12 wins is being generous.
JOC in interview with Mooney says Mooney has a new perspective on transfers going forward. Ha….what a joke. He’s only 2 years behind the entire basketball world.

Kind of like how he saved his job a few years ago by promising to change to a different defense… then saved it again by proclaiming “the best class ever”… now he’s trying you save it a third time this way. Stop the madness. We can see through these weak attempts.

Kind of like how he saved his job a few years ago by promising to change to a different defense… then saved it again by proclaiming “the best class ever”… now he’s trying you save it a third time this way. Stop the madness. We can see through these weak attempts.
If he wasn't working towards his second full decade of ruining my favorite basketball team I would almost be impressed with his shrewdness.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I wouldn’t be as upset if he wasn’t one of the top paid coaches in the conference. If we were just cheap (ie Fordham) it wouldn’t be as troubling because you couldn’t realistically expect better.

3 times a charm😜

Reactions: Eight Legger
T

That’s a lot of unproven optimism. Goose ok, Crabtree maybe, Wilson has regressed, the rest who knows, a complete blank slate of underclass men . That’s blind optimism

I should let that go but I can't. it's just a %^$# thing to say from your soft leather chair. all these players the past 10 years, whether they've given you the water cooler glory you think you deserve or not, are busting their asses and making sacrifices. they play in pain, suffer injuries, have surgeries, collapse on the court, and I'm sure agonize over losses more than any of us. they also have families holding their breath on every shot they miss or every rebound they don't get. but to you they're losers. come on. be better than that.
THIS‼️‼️

THIS‼️‼️
I don’t lay any of this on our fellow Spiders, the players. They deserve(d) better coaching. The failures are laid at the feet of the athletic department, school administration and trustees for allowing this to continue and their using a divided alumni base of those who continue to support the players and those who stay away to register their discontent to perpetuate their own version of the great lie-the future is bright, winningest coach in school history and we are competitive.

WOW, this is a disgustingly weak attempt by Mooney. I have been saying for 7 or 8 years that Mooney is bad at the transfer game, with just a couple exceptions. El, you are right on here , similar to changing defenses as the smoke screen to keep Mooney and say all is well. If he is back next year we are doomed to another 10 year curse of rhe moon.

I don’t lay any of this on our fellow Spiders, the players. They deserve(d) better coaching. The failures are laid at the feet of the athletic department, school administration and trustees for allowing this to continue and their using a divided alumni base of those who continue to support the players and those who stay away to register their discontent to perpetuate their own version of the great lie-the future is bright, winningest coach in school history and we are competitive.
I was told "all is well" so lets roll with that vibe.

Just think how many minutes he would have if he ever got to play in the postseason!
He did/will, in two of the four years he could have. He'll have postseason games this year. He had two last year. No one had postseason games in 2020, but we would have had at least one. He did not in 2018 or 2019.

He might have missed out of two games of a postseason opportunity UR had control over in the course of a five-year career. So the most he could have reasonably expected was 70-80 more minutes, a pretty small number when you consider he has more than 5,000 in his career.

The losers comment was completely unnecessary. But it’s also frustrating to watch this season become about individual accomplishments once again since they haven’t lived up to the potential as a team. I’m still surprised how badly this season has gone.

The losers comment was completely unnecessary. But it’s also frustrating to watch this season become about individual accomplishments once again since they haven’t lived up to the potential as a team. I’m still surprised how badly this season has gone.
I‘m sure you are (post #216). https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/threads/rotation-2021-2.13000/page-6#post-334614

I am extremely disappointed and a little surprised, but not totally shocked…

Now if we can just go 7-1 March 10 to April 10…

S-man, consider the source.

Reactions: plydogg
I’m still surprised how badly this season has gone.
2 sides to the coin.

On the one hand I really believed with the talented players that we have, that would be enough to overcome the many flaws in Mooney & his system.

On the other hand, Mooney is too much to overcome in spite of our talent, & we're probably going to finish to expectations. I squarely believe our losses are way more on CM than the players. A better coach would have been able to achieve way more success with the same talent.

in the end, unless something really special happens, the other hand probably wins out.

Last edited:
I am extremely disappointed and a little surprised, but not totally shocked…
Had the players, but not the team.

All the premium ingredients, but an average cook.

Next year, new concept that will take a few years to refine. Will there be a new king in the kitchen? Will the regulars still come?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT