ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mooney – this is who he is

That postgame press conference last night was so demoralizing...Grant came out and admitted that we are aren't where we wanted to be or where people projected us to be, but nobody's given up and they're continuing to grind and try to improve with an eye toward the final stretch. Completely reasonable and realistic response.

Then Mooney came on and JOC asked him about Grant's comments, and Mooney refused to even acknowledge the premise that we're not where we should be. All he could do was talk about how we had so many fans supporting the team and repeat three times that "we have a lot of great opportunities in front of us."

That postgame press conference last night was so demoralizing...Grant came out and admitted that we are aren't where we wanted to be or where people projected us to be, but nobody's given up and they're continuing to grind and try to improve with an eye toward the final stretch. Completely reasonable and realistic response.

Then Mooney came on and JOC asked him about Grant's comments, and Mooney refused to even acknowledge the premise that we're not where we should be. All he could do was talk about how we had so many fans supporting the team and repeat three times that "we have a lot of great opportunities in front of us."

Agreed although I’ve come to expect it. For years the Moon & some players have had a real lack of self-awareness. Even Golden he’s right but he just said the complete opposite only 5 days ago. Then it was “we’re right where we want to be”. Go 1-1 and now do a 180. Probably read the boards and realized how dumb the prior comment sounded.

Reactions: Eight Legger

One of them is protecting $1.3 million the other is not.

Mooney is truly adept at never stating, responding, following up on question regarding the expectations for the team. Some have seen this grift for a while now, others are just coming around to it, a few still buy the grift. But make no mistake, it is a grift.

Idk, there’s a distinct possibility we go 2-4 the rest of the way. 18-13 without any certainty around how we’d fare in the A10 tourney is hardly a guarantee to make the NIT.

But of course that’s a quasi-rational perspective which isn’t really what our AD used to gauge retention.
No way that makes the NIT

Reactions: SpiderK
I looked up the list of most-tenured Division I coaches. Here are the top 17. Notice that it's a combination of high-level coaches who have won national championships or come close (9 by my count), mid-level coaches who have won consistently and made the NCAA tournament regularly (4) or coaches of lower-level teams that have mixed results at places where winning is not a priority (3). And then Mooney. He doesn't really fit in any of those categories.

1. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse Orange – 46 years
2. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke Blue Devils – 42 years
3. Greg Kampe, Oakland Golden Grizzlies – 38 years
4. Bob McKillop, Davidson Wildcats – 33 years
5. Ron Cottrell, Houston Baptist Huskies – 30 years
6. Tom Izzo, Michigan State Spartans – 27 years
7. Fran O’Hanlon, Lafayette Leopards – 27 years
8. James Jones, Yale Bulldogs – 23 years
9. Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs – 23 years
10. Mike McConathy, Northwestern State Demons – 23 years
11. Mike Brey, Notre Dame Fighting Irish – 22 years
12. Randy Bennett, Saint Mary’s Gaels – 21 years
13. Jay Wright, Villanova Wildcats – 21 years
14. Leonard Hamilton, Florida State Seminoles – 20 years
15. Scott Drew, Baylor Bears – 19 years
16. Bill Self, Kansas Jayhawks – 19 years
17. Chris Mooney, Richmond – 17 years

O'Hanlon is retiring after this year, as of course is K.

Kampe has said he wants to go for at least a few more years...he's only 66. Boeheim's retirement has of course been a topic of discussion for a decade, but he's indicated he still wants to go a few more years.

O'Hanlon is retiring after this year, as of course is K.

Kampe has said he wants to go for at least a few more years...he's only 66. Boeheim's retirement has of course been a topic of discussion for a decade, but he's indicated he still wants to go a few more years.
I think boeheim might be gone after this year when his both his sons eligibility is done.

He said last summer that he'd like to try to coach until at least 80, which would be three more years, but who knows whether that will hold up.

Of course, he was supposed to retire in 2018...

He said last summer that he'd like to try to coach until at least 80, which would be three more years, but who knows whether that will hold up.

Of course, he was supposed to retire in 2018...

I know Syracuse wants him out. Talked to some of their fans when they were playing at Tech in football this fall and the guys I talked to echoed that sentiment.

I looked up the list of most-tenured Division I coaches. Here are the top 17. Notice that it's a combination of high-level coaches who have won national championships or come close (9 by my count), mid-level coaches who have won consistently and made the NCAA tournament regularly (4) or coaches of lower-level teams that have mixed results at places where winning is not a priority (3). And then Mooney. He doesn't really fit in any of those categories.

1. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse Orange – 46 years
2. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke Blue Devils – 42 years
3. Greg Kampe, Oakland Golden Grizzlies – 38 years
4. Bob McKillop, Davidson Wildcats – 33 years
5. Ron Cottrell, Houston Baptist Huskies – 30 years
6. Tom Izzo, Michigan State Spartans – 27 years
7. Fran O’Hanlon, Lafayette Leopards – 27 years
8. James Jones, Yale Bulldogs – 23 years
9. Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs – 23 years
10. Mike McConathy, Northwestern State Demons – 23 years
11. Mike Brey, Notre Dame Fighting Irish – 22 years
12. Randy Bennett, Saint Mary’s Gaels – 21 years
13. Jay Wright, Villanova Wildcats – 21 years
14. Leonard Hamilton, Florida State Seminoles – 20 years
15. Scott Drew, Baylor Bears – 19 years
16. Bill Self, Kansas Jayhawks – 19 years
17. Chris Mooney, Richmond – 17 years
Anyone on that list with fewer NCAA appearances than Mooney (Without counting 2020)?
Houston Baptist may have been D1 less time than Mooney has been coach.

Houston Baptist had only been once but I think you’re right, they haven’t been D1 too long. Yale’s coach has also been twice. Everyone else has been more than twice.

Well judging by how old he was when he would have had his last two sons he would have been about my dads age at the time. Can’t imagine my dad having a kid around 55-57.

Twelfth year starters in near the end of a 20 point blowout reeks of desperation.
A man desperately trying to keep his job.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT