ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Manon - Cornell Transfer - Visit 3/28

Manon looks very similar to Dji with a better shot.

same size, maybe a little stronger. primarily gets to the rim ... like Dji. and he converts from 2 at 64.8% ... almost exactly like Dji. 2.3 per game last year from 3 at 33.8% means he'll at least take it when open. plus shoots over 70% from the line. all in 22 mpg. plus led the Ivy in steals 2 years in a row, so I'm guessing defends like Dji.

I agree King is a big reason why we could play Dji so much. we need to replace those shots and a Hunt/Tyne combo hasn't shown they can. if we start Roche ... there's a perimeter threat. at a minimum would space the floor. but I'd focus on shooting in the portal too, at the other spots in addition to Manon.

Manon looks very similar to Dji with a better shot.

same size, maybe a little stronger. primarily gets to the rim ... like Dji. and he converts from 2 at 64.8% ... almost exactly like Dji. 2.3 per game last year from 3 at 33.8% means he'll at least take it when open. plus shoots over 70% from the line. all in 22 mpg. plus led the Ivy in steals 2 years in a row, so I'm guessing defends like Dji.

I agree King is a big reason why we could play Dji so much. we need to replace those shots and a Hunt/Tyne combo hasn't shown they can. if we start Roche ... there's a perimeter threat. at a minimum would space the floor. but I'd focus on shooting in the portal too, at the other spots in addition to Manon.
We are on the same page. I don't think we want to start Roche though. He is way too much of a one trick pony to be a starter. But yes, Manon is a replacement of Dji or Dji's role, so will be interesting to see this play out as Dji has left his recruitment open to returning.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
Well Manon and Dji are both very versatile players, so really see no issue. But from sdad's "bigger" options than Wake comment, I am getting the notion that is what they are looking for. So yes, Manon would essentially need to replace Dji.

Would be great if we got Manon. Bigger trouble would be someone more like Bigs. Bigs could do a lot of things on the court, including rebound in traffic and out of space. Could really use a 6'7 ish type of athletic player like that.

Reactions: VT4700
FWIW, EvanMiya's model has Manon ranked among the top 10 transfers in the portal.

We are on the same page. I don't think we want to start Roche though. He is way too much of a one trick pony to be a starter. But yes, Manon is a replacement of Dji or Dji's role, so will be interesting to see this play out as Dji has left his recruitment open to returning.
This open to returning talk still amazes me. And, SDad said "still a ways to go" with Dji's decision, so are we supposed to wait and not try to land someone else? I just don't get it. We have moved on and Dji has moved on. Why leave this option open? And, yes, I am disagreeing with Mooney here. I would not give portal guys the option of coming back. Why should Hunt and Tyne be out there working on their games with OUR team while Dji is looking for something better from a different team, only to come back if nothing better is found? Strange.

Well Manon and Dji are both very versatile players, so really see no issue. But from sdad's "bigger" options than Wake comment, I am getting the notion that is what they are looking for. So yes, Manon would essentially need to replace Dji.

Would be great if we got Manon. Bigger trouble would be someone more like Bigs. Bigs could do a lot of things on the court, including rebound in traffic and out of space. Could really use a 6'7 ish type of athletic player like that.
Brickus, Manon, Neskovic, Beagle work for me.

This open to returning talk still amazes me. And, SDad said "still a ways to go" with Dji's decision, so are we supposed to wait and not try to land someone else? I just don't get it. We have moved on and Dji has moved on. Why leave this option open? And, yes, I am disagreeing with Mooney here. I would not give portal guys the option of coming back. Why should Hunt and Tyne be out there working on their games with OUR team while Dji is looking for something better from a different team, only to come back if nothing better is found? Strange.
I don't think we are "holding" a spot for Dji, I think we are actively trying to fill out our roster and this is a fluid situation.

I think if we get a guy like Manon, that may have some influence over Dji's decision, as they would play the same position. What I think is that in a few months this will all be clearer, if Dji gets an offer/NIL deal that he really likes, he takes it. If he doesn't and we will still have an opening on our roster (which we probably will) than he can talk with the coaches about returning.

I see this more as leaving all of our options up to having the best players available to us. If we shut down Dji and tell him he is not welcome back after portaling, than we close out that option. I do see your point though that if why would every guy not portal if that was the case and again I see this a special scenario reserved for guys who put in their 4 years, got there degree from UR and our guys that really fit our culture. Dji checks those boxes.

I think if we get a guy like Manon, that may have some influence over Dji's decision, as they would play the same position.
Personally, I think a backcourt of DLo, Manon, and Dji would be very difficult for other A10 teams guards to score against. I think the two of Manon and Dji, rather than being redundant, could be more than the sum of their parts at the 2&3 positions.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Agree Mountain. I think they are both very versatile players and could co-exist easily and be very effective on both D and offense together. Dji could even be used as a small ball 4 for brief stretches.

Still think both sides (Richmond and Dji) are pursuing other options and have moved on mentally from the possibility of him coming back.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Manon is visiting Oregon this weekend. That's some stiff competition if NIL/ overall facilities are a priority for him.

Yes, have to imagine with the Phil Knight connection NIL will be an issue for us.

On the other hand, maybe he doesn't want to play on the ugliest court in America?

I think Manon is probably past our grasp at this point. Best chance we had was to lock him up early before others had a chance to really recruit him. But with this bigger schools and bigger NIL packages likely coming his way - hard to imagine UR is his final destination.

Reactions: Stork3
Tyne's form on his shot looked really good to me, I think with some work and gained confidence, he will be a good shooter. His defense and ballhandling were stellar IMO.
Agreed, Tyne can be a starting point guard for us, if he can get his jumper to fall. He is a great defender, ball handler, and think he is developing a nice interior to his game. I do have concerns next year though with a backcourt of him and D-Lo that teams are going to sag off of us and dare those guys to hit 3's.

Agreed, Tyne can be a starting point guard for us, if he can get his jumper to fall. He is a great defender, ball handler, and think he is developing a nice interior to his game. I do have concerns next year though with a backcourt of him and D-Lo that teams are going to sag off of us and dare those guys to hit 3's.
Hunt made them at a good rate, especially when he was left open. I wanted him to shoot more 3s than he did. But, when King got so hot for us, I could see where he might want to be patient out there. This year, he needs to shoot at least twice as many 3s.

Tyne had lots of good looks, and definitely needs to make them at a better rate. His form and shot looks good, so I think the chance is there for 35+% on good volume.

so much of 3 point shooting for guys who are not gunners is getting them to their spots where they are comfortable. I feel like for Hunt that is the top of the key, straight on 3s. I'm not sure where Tyne's spot is. We did a very good job of making Harris into the corner 3s guy this year, I hope we don't just end up with lots of possessions where the guy who has the ball at 6s mark of the shot clock shoots from wherever he is.

hmm, I'll be in S. Orange tomorrow myself, maybe I'll bump into Manon while there and tell him that our fan base is 100,000,000% committed to the team so he should play for UR. And to reiterate how leafy our campus is, I'll bring a bag of leaves with me everywhere, just in case.

For Oregon, he probably won't have as big a role as he will for us. Seton Hall? It's in New Jersey. Vandy? On the positive side, it's in Nashville. On the negative side, it sucks at basketball.

Seton Hall might be a better spot than some think. They just missed the NCAA, and then won the NIT. They have Shaheen Holloway as their coach - a great college guard in his time, Not sure what they have returning or losing to portal. And also as mentioned - believe Manon is from NJ, so this would be a homecoming.

Seton Hall might be a better spot than some think. They just missed the NCAA, and then won the NIT. They have Shaheen Holloway as their coach - a great college guard in his time, Not sure what they have returning or losing to portal. And also as mentioned - believe Manon is from NJ, so this would be a homecoming.
Objectively, we are the worst spot from a basketball situation. Seton Hall, strong big east program, just missed the NCAA, won the NIT, up and coming coach, Oregon: strong Big 10 program (that seems weird writing that), really good coach, you have Phil Knight gifting you all of the coolest stuff, Vandy is a weak program, but they play in the SEC, new coach coming in.

I think our angle is he will get max playing time versus the other BCS schools, maybe have a chance to be an all conference player, and thus have better stats than we would at the other schools and still have the chance to win a lot of games.

so our best shot is using the angle that W&M uses recruiting against us?
I haven't lost all hope, but it's getting close.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Objectively, we are the worst spot from a basketball situation. Seton Hall, strong big east program, just missed the NCAA, won the NIT, up and coming coach, Oregon: strong Big 10 program (that seems weird writing that), really good coach, you have Phil Knight gifting you all of the coolest stuff, Vandy is a weak program, but they play in the SEC, new coach coming in.

I think our angle is he will get max playing time versus the other BCS schools, maybe have a chance to be an all conference player, and thus have better stats than we would at the other schools and still have the chance to win a lot of games.
And 500K from the collective would help too.

Make sure he doesn’t get to SO Town Hall Deli for a Jersey Sloppy Joe. If he does he’s 1,000,000% Seton Hall commit.

Blue Chip Sports reporting Manon will announce his commitment to Seton Hall.

Here is a look at the Seton Hall Collective. Lot better just from a book cover stance of their website, opportunities to subscribe or donate, events, and even highlights the various NIL deals of the athletes. Have to assume Manon is getting some money and deal to attend Seton Hall.

Having events seems like a great path forward. Good engagement opportunity for fans and a way to get some lower-dollar donors involved, hopefully some end up giving more eventually.

Here is a look at the Seton Hall Collective. Lot better just from a book cover stance of their website, opportunities to subscribe or donate, events, and even highlights the various NIL deals of the athletes. Have to assume Manon is getting some money and deal to attend Seton Hall.

This looks pretty good. What would you change about our NIL website and any idea who we could get to help improve it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT