ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Question

Mar 8, 2006
With all the college baseball regionals going on right now it had me thinking about our baseball program. Is it realistic to anticipate us getting back to the regionals at any point in the near future? Honest question. I remember us being very competitive when I was a student (mid 90's) but that seems to have been the high water mark for the program. Is it just as simple as leaving the CAA and joining a less competitive baseball conference that has hurt us? I admit that I don't follow the program closely but we haven't been back to the regionals since 2003.

Last edited:
I think the combination of switching to the A10 and not funding the program with the maximum number of scholarships together make it very difficult to win consistently. The NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships for baseball and we offer less than that (I'm pretty sure of this). The minimum scholarship that can be given for a player is 25% and the scholarship money must be divided between no more than 27 players. So, if you offer a player a 25% scholarship he still has to pay $50k per year to attend Richmond. That's a big number. It is possible to win, like Davidson a year or two ago, but to be a consistent factor is very difficult. Back in the 80's and early 90's our tuition was less and the CAA was a top 8 baseball conference. It has gotten more difficult since then for sure.

I think the combination of switching to the A10 and not funding the program with the maximum number of scholarships together make it very difficult to win consistently. The NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships for baseball and we offer less than that (I'm pretty sure of this). The minimum scholarship that can be given for a player is 25% and the scholarship money must be divided between no more than 27 players. So, if you offer a player a 25% scholarship he still has to pay $50k per year to attend Richmond. That's a big number. It is possible to win, like Davidson a year or two ago, but to be a consistent factor is very difficult. Back in the 80's and early 90's our tuition was less and the CAA was a top 8 baseball conference. It has gotten more difficult since then for sure.

I think lack of top notch facilities are holding us back more than anything. No lights when all other Div 1 colleges in VA have them. Also very poor grandstand with no seats, no restrooms, very small & limited concession stand, no admission charge, no building to hold practice during cold or inclement weather, sub par dressing room. Some private colleges do very well such as Duke & Vanderbilt. No reason why we can't with better facilities.

I think lack of top notch facilities are holding us back more than anything. No lights when all other Div 1 colleges in VA have them. Also very poor grandstand with no seats, no restrooms, very small & limited concession stand, no admission charge, no building to hold practice during cold or inclement weather, sub par dressing room. Some private colleges do very well such as Duke & Vanderbilt. No reason why we can't with better facilities.

All of that would absolutely help, but it doesn't change the underlying issues. Duke and Vandy are in the ACC and SEC. We are not. Not an equal comparison. Davidson is really the best peer institution for comparison purposes, and they're good every so often. That's our lot I believe.

All of that would absolutely help, but it doesn't change the underlying issues. Duke and Vandy are in the ACC and SEC. We are not. Not an equal comparison. Davidson is really the best peer institution for comparison purposes, and they're good every so often. That's our lot I believe.

I've read that Vanderbilt uses some of its considerable endowment to help supplement baseball scholarships and the high cost of tuition. Not sure of all the details but that is one reason why their program has ascended in recent years. What is our reason for not having lights? Neighborhood concerns, etc?

I think we have about 9.2 scholarships, as said the costs of attending make it difficult to fill out a competitive roster with limited schollies. Add to that no lights (not just limited game times, but practice times), no "general field house" for inclement weather practice, subpar facilities when compared to our peers. I believe Tracy is doing well with tools he has been given.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
The Elevate campaign has raised over $1.9 million towards the improvements to Pitt Field including new grandstands, concessions, pressbox, restrooms, indoor practice and hitting building, etc. Encourage everyone interested to make a donation if you haven't already.

Other than the new turf a few years ago, the Athletic Department has continued to ignore the baseball program. The Elevate Campaign, which started nearly 2 years ago, had a goal of $5m for the baseball facility to give the program the facilities it needs to consistently compete for talent in a recruiting world where we are already at a monetary disadvantage (see posts above re: scholarships). In addition, the AD has also turned away potential donors who were willing to fully fund the program as those scholarships were not deemed a priority. One day, the program will receive the attention and leadership it deserves.

Other than the new turf a few years ago, the Athletic Department has continued to ignore the baseball program. The Elevate Campaign, which started nearly 2 years ago, had a goal of $5m for the baseball facility to give the program the facilities it needs to consistently compete for talent in a recruiting world where we are already at a monetary disadvantage (see posts above re: scholarships). In addition, the AD has also turned away potential donors who were willing to fully fund the program as those scholarships were not deemed a priority. One day, the program will receive the attention and leadership it deserves.
Why would the AD turn away potential donors for baseball. That makes no sense and how do you know that to be true?
If a donor wants their money to go to the baseball program the AD isn’t able to say no, I’m going to put it to one of the other sports.

I have heard the same thing from secondary sources, the reasoning given was the gifts were conditioned on certain things happening. To meet the requirements of the gift other gifts had to be made to meet Title IX. Those gifts did not exist, the gifts were not turned down, the conditions could not be met and the gifts were withdrawn.

I floated the idea on here a couple years ago of re-situating the baseball field on the existing acreage to allow for more seating, etc. We are pretty limited right now from a seating standpoint because of where home plate sits, and seating basically is backed up against the drop-off to the lake. Granted, it's not like we really need more seats from a demand standpoint, but if you flipped home plate and put it on the Robins Center side, it would open up a whole host of new possibilities. I did an overlay of the existing dimensions situated that way and it was pretty interesting to see.

It will never happen if course, just an interesting (to me at least) consideration.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
The sun would be directly in the batter's eyes.

Major League Baseball Rule 1.04 states: "It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East Northeast."

The field is perfectly situated.

The sun would be directly in the batter's eyes.

Major League Baseball Rule 1.04 states: "It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East Northeast."

The field is perfectly situated.
It will be cool when the Spiders are part of MLB.

Sure, I get that you try to situate a field in a certain direction. I still think there's some leeway if you flipped the field generally speaking. Home plate could be anywhere from the current right field corner to left of center field. My idea also would assume the addition of lights, so the sun wouldn't always be a factor (though of course I get that practices will always happen during the day).

Sure, I get that you try to situate a field in a certain direction. I still think there's some leeway if you flipped the field generally speaking. Home plate could be anywhere from the current right field corner to left of center field. My idea also would assume the addition of lights, so the sun wouldn't always be a factor (though of course I get that practices will always happen during the day).

As a follow up: why haven't we put lights up already? Neighborhood concerns? Financial reasons?

As a follow up: why haven't we put lights up already? Neighborhood concerns? Financial reasons?
I'm not sure but I think as others have said, the school hasn't wanted to accept donations for lights because they either came with other requirements or some other reason. Sean Casey supposedly offered to pay for them years ago.

Eight Legger is correct. The Athletic Department has mismanaged the donor base within the baseball program/network on numerous occasions over the last 10+ years. There have been some very interesting opportunities to secure the necessary commitments, but for one reason or another, the Athletic Department couldn't manage to get out of their own way.

Reactions: KWeaver
Woodson gave Mooney a T once years ago (true story). I'm sure Mooney has stonewalled him at every turn since then.

Woodson gave Mooney a T once years ago (true story). I'm sure Mooney has stonewalled him at every turn since then.
I remember hearing Woodson talk about it on the radio but I never got the game that it happened in. Any idea which one?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT