ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Weir

So this thought and some of the other surrounding comments highlights a Mooney "problem" I have that I hope won't be repeated. Mooney likes guys who don't mess up in "complimentary" roles. Its far more for him about what you DON"T do (mess up - - especially on offense) than what you DO do (make plays!!). And he is clear on this in both how he actually coaches and how he doles out playing time.

I don't want Weir competing with Grace for 8 minutes a night where the winner is based solely on who messes up the least. I want Weir training to make plays and is essence to be Grant, not Grant's back-up. This is my single biggest thing I hate about Mooney is so much emphasis on not to mess up (and in fact punishing messing up in all but a few players) and not how to go make plays. Learning to be a play maker and actual impact player will mean making mistakes - - - its as simple as that. They need to make 'em and learn from 'em. Most 18-19 year olds will really struggle when their whole first year or two is spent teaching them to never mess up, no matter what and then the next year asking them to be a playmaker. Some can do it. Many can not. Its certainly easier to go the other way - - - learn to make plays etc. and them get rid of the mistakes (i.e. learn from your mistakes - - not learn than mistakes get you a seat on the bench). Deon Taylor was the poster child for this. Earned playing time early by not messing up and then spent all 4 years doing exactly that while never advancing to making plays. And why would he - - he was continually rewarded (to the bewilderment of many) for simply knowing where to go and where to be all the time.

Don't want this to be Weir. Train him to be Grant - - a focal point and aggressive player. If the key to being Grants backup right now is not messing up, so be it and let Grace have it. But don't start weir thinking about avoiding messing up as his biggest objective. As time goes on, Weir will learn to make plays and mess up less. Andre gets to play when he makes enough plays that it offsets his mistakes - - - not when he simply learns not to mess up.

that's an awful lot of words from a guy who has never watched a practice. How about this-- Weir should earn it. in practice and off the court.

Reactions: gcarter52
I didn’t see him in Indianapolis.Knew something was up..Adjustment to 1st semester college,especially UR,is a big deal especially when it comes to the discipline of academics.

Reactions: Ranger1tex
Sal is making progress and Grace is a capable back up

That’s very true. But there’s no way a rotation of those 2 can replace Grant without Gilly, Cayo, Sherod, and Francis as well. That position is going to be so important for passing, and neither of those guys has shown the ability to do that at a high level.

and speaking of passing. Man I miss TJ Cline. What a damn good player

Grace is a solid passer. It's other parts of his game where he'll have more trouble following Grant.

Reactions: plydogg
Grace is passable for 10-15 minutes a game. If he's starting at center and playing 30 minutes where we're expecting major points from him, that's a problem.

Agreed. He’s got his role off the bench and he’s doing quite well in it.

To me this just highlights recruiting issue with inability to land big guys - I don't care what position we call them, but need big guys that can rebound and guard other bigs. Thought we struck out in 2021, but not many seemed concerned. Academics, injuries, other off court stuff is always a possibility with 18-22 year olds. Have to build depth. I think we are well stocked at guard and wing, but woefully stocked for next few years at PF/C (guys 6'8" and above). Weir leaving just really highlights the issue.

Yes, this is an issue for a lot of mid major programs, but while we were whiffing on HIcks and Schieffelin, Dayton landed THREE well thought of 6'8" + prospects, and SDSU one with one available spot I believe.

Hopefully Mooney has something up his sleave, we really need a good one in 2021 class AND an immediately eligible transfer. Seems like immediate eligibility for transfers may be more the norm now anyway. Just seems crazy that what ever the issue was, couldn't be fixed or worked on considering the minimal time since the semester started. Maybe he just didn't think this was the place for him. Who knows but this seemed like a great fit on the surface.

Wish him well, and wish him success. This was never going to be an easy year for a freshman on this team--virtually no playing time, quarantined from family and other students, remote learning so you don't even go to class and get the full campus experience. It was going to take a lot of fortitude. Absolutely no judgment for feeling that it wasn't the right place. I wish he had stuck it out until he could get the playing time and the great college experience, but I just don't see that there's anything to guess about or try to blame.

But yes, now we need two young big guys.

Call me crazy, but watching Sal take it hard to the rim versus WVA got me thinking he was ready to be a starting 5 in the A10. Give him 25 mins a game next year and I think he goes 12 mph and 8 rpg...

some of you need to get this crazy idea out of your head that all the seniors are going to "run it back" for one more shot at glory next season. Most players at this level don't dream of playing college ball until the end of time. They are going to be ready soon to end this chapter of their lives and move on to the next whether that be playing pro overseas or starting a non basketball related career.

Have the mindset going into this offseason that NONE are coming back.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
You know I go back to Joe John during the Tarrant era who was a good player, very athletic, free spirit but
had a hard time with strict discipline. I just have a feeling that Andre Weir could have been in this same boat and throw in the uncertainty of things, it was too much to have to adjust to. I wish him luck and just hope he goes somewhere outside our league.

Hmm, this sounds way too familiar. Failing to recruit well to replace players that are leaving, recruits leaving the program leaving us really thin at certain positions, and then we try to fill a gap with an immediately eligible big man that has no business playing in the A10. Sounds like same old Mooney is coming back....

Very curious about what happened, but don’t want to speculate about anything regarding an 18 or 19 year old. Best of luck wherever he ends up

Hmm, this sounds way too familiar. Failing to recruit well to replace players that are leaving, recruits leaving the program leaving us really thin at certain positions, and then we try to fill a gap with an immediately eligible big man that has no business playing in the A10. Sounds like same old Mooney is coming back....
Wilk, yes, this is a problem. Last 8 years we were always a player, or two , or three away, and Mooney always had an excuse built in - injuries, transfer, whatever. This does seem to be history playing out again, with pandemic already nuking one of two possible NCAA years. I do like our prospects and depth at PG, SG, Wing - think we have done well there. But with Weir leaving, bigger hole than I expected next year. I'm hoping that Mooney and co. have some options to fill in this need, but am afraid we could get in that cycle again.

Reactions: Ranger1tex
You know I go back to Joe John during the Tarrant era who was a good player, very athletic, free spirit but
had a hard time with strict discipline
Difference here is that we do not have Kenny Wood, Terry Connolly, Jim Shields, and Jim Springer all back next year. All good interior rebounders/defenders among multiple other skills. Joe Jon probably had most raw talent of that bunch, but could be and was replaced adequately due to DEPTH inside. And yes Connolly and Wood were not 6'8, but could rebound and battle like they were 6'8.

Call me crazy, but watching Sal take it hard to the rim versus WVA got me thinking he was ready to be a starting 5 in the A10. Give him 25 mins a game next year and I think he goes 12 mph and 8 rpg...

he’s played well this season but if we don’t have a 5 that can pass out of the high post, our offense doesn’t work as well.

Reactions: mcspider
This is one recruit we could not lose. We do not have a starting caliber big man on our roster once Grant leaves. Grace is suited fine for 10-15 minutes a game, but nothing more, unless we want to finish in the bottom half of the league next year.

Sal is not a 5. Mooney best get busy on the transfer, grad transfer market right now.

Very strange - but sounds like kid was not a good fit. I wonder if with his mother involved so much, did he think he should be playing more or was he not getting the "star" treatment he expected. Either way - end result is he no longer a Spider and we now have a hole to fill in that spot.
Considering next year is likely to be a rebuilding year - I would like to look for a good HS recruit if possible. Maybe someone who can play behind Sal and Grace as they are seniors next year - get some minutes and experience and be ready to take over as a starter their Sophmore year.
Assuming no one comes back to roll it back next season - we are rebuilding next year. I am okay with that as long as the rebuild is short. We can't be rebuilding for 8 years. Its okay to take a step back when a lot of key players graduate, but the pipeline behind should be ready to step in - get experience that first year and then 2nd year we should be competing again at the top of the league.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Very strange - but sounds like kid was not a good fit. I wonder if with his mother involved so much, did he think he should be playing more or was he not getting the "star" treatment he expected. Either way - end result is he no longer a Spider and we now have a hole to fill in that spot.
Considering next year is likely to be a rebuilding year - I would like to look for a good HS recruit if possible. Maybe someone who can play behind Sal and Grace as they are seniors next year - get some minutes and experience and be ready to take over as a starter their Sophmore year.
Assuming no one comes back to roll it back next season - we are rebuilding next year. I am okay with that as long as the rebuild is short. We can't be rebuilding for 8 years. Its okay to take a step back when a lot of key players graduate, but the pipeline behind should be ready to step in - get experience that first year and then 2nd year we should be competing again at the top of the league.
Assuming no seniors from this year stay, next year we have:
3 Seniors
2 Juniors
now 2 Sophomores
4 Freshman

That leaves 2 open scholarships...

So it can be a Transfer & a HS...

Assuming no one comes back to roll it back next season - we are rebuilding next year. I am okay with that as long as the rebuild is short. We can't be rebuilding for 8 years. Its okay to take a step back when a lot of key players graduate,
Very good points, after our last back to back NCAA years, I was actually OK with the rebuilding years too, until it became apparent we were in a perpetual rebuild/one or two guys away mode. I do think we have some very good pieces, but agree with 97 - this is the one guy we couldn't lose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT