ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Weir

Did I hear the TV announcer say that the big guy for Hofstra was a transfer. He looked really impressive. How come we can't get a big body transfer with skills like him?
But wait, any big man transfer will only get to a P5 school according to some on here. Yet, here is a big man transfer that went to Hofstra. Hmm. I mean if a CAA program can get a good big man transfer, surely an A-10 program would have opportunities.

Just because Mooney hasn't, doesn't mean it is impossible. Just hold him to the expectation that not only can he land a quality big man transfer, but he has to land a quality big man transfer. It is his job after all.

If your looking for a transfer from a P5 program - your looking for a guy who got very little playing time or none at all and is looking to go somewhere where they can get minutes ASAP. The Hofstra kid is the perfect example - he played at Georgia, but he only played in 10 games - so he was only getting garbage time. He didn't like that - so he transferred down to the CAA. Kids in lower programs who are doing well will transfer up to P5 - like the kid from VCU last year - Silva. He had a good year at VCU, so he transferred up to Texas Tech. Kids who are doing well on the P5 level usually transfer to other P5 schools - maybe closer to home or maybe with better chances of making the dance. Highly unlikely UR or any mid-major would get a kid putting up good numbers or minutes at a P5 to move down to the A10.
BUT - we could get a kid who maybe was highly recruited out of high school and now is sitting the bench on a P5 program and get him at UR and hope it pans out.

Haven't followed CBB much so far this season but with regards to Weir see absolutely no fault on Mooney's part on why he left. Looking at him he first decommitted from NE. Had plenty of mid-major offers. Finally signed with UR which IMO was his best choice academically.

Basketball wise the ball was in his court to be GG's full time replacement next season. Reading into his recruiting status appears his value enhanced quickly late during hid HS career. Was him saying no to NE and yes to UR getting him the BEST out of his offers?

Mooney even stated he's assisting the family in going to another school? Not many coaches probably do that much. I'm glad though he left rather than redshirt since no interest in developing players for the major leagues. Maybe Weir is thinking he can play at a P5/6 school?

Interested to find out the reason, may never happen. But Mooney is the head coach, making a lot of money, and it is on him to provide the guidance and create atmosphere to keep these very valuable assets engaged and committed. Just like the flatness the team comes out with often this year, and the slipping on defense again. To me that is on the head coach.

This is my take on Mooney's thinking on catering more to this player in order to keep him here. If at all Weir desiring a certain playing role was the reason he left the team? I guessing not the case but if so I'm LOL that a commit not considered a top level one would make any demands on maybe Mooney's best talented team.

fdv71r0v3qJx.jpg

The other players did not seem to have a problem with whatever was expected of them. This is not on the coaches. This is on one guy and one guy only. If he doesn't want to do what he is supposed to do and expected to do, you cannot just cater to the guy and accept this and act like it is okay. That would lead to chaos because what happens when the next guy does this? It looks like he was given every chance to get this corrected, but chose to move on.

Reactions: urfan1
The other players did not seem to have a problem with whatever was expected of them. This is not on the coaches. This is on one guy and one guy only. If he doesn't want to do what he is supposed to do and expected to do, you cannot just cater to the guy and accept this and act like it is okay. That would lead to chaos because what happens when the next guy does this? It looks like he was given every chance to get this corrected, but chose to move on.
And it appears from Mooney's comments that even after those second chances, he still would have been given another opportunity on here. But he chose to take his marbles and go home.

I'm critical of Mooney on a lot of things but player relations is one his strengths. I put this one squarely on Weir. Sounds like he has some maturing to do.

Reactions: urfan1 and DTSpider
maybe he is just a soft quitter who was given plenty of chances to follow the rules (show up on time, go to class, be a good citizen, etc) that it appears 13 other guys don't have a problem following.

That being said, whether you are a athlete or just student most of you keyboard jockeys have no idea what it is like to be a college student these days. The fun is gone, your fellow students are narcing on you and add the extra pressure of playing, plus the 3x weekly COVID tests, its got to be a strain.

maybe he is just a soft quitter who was given plenty of chances to follow the rules (show up on time, go to class, be a good citizen, etc) that it appears 13 other guys don't have a problem following.
1-800-Dwayne-Haskins. Now there's a guy who got caught at a strip club. He got fined and publicly shamed for not wearing a mask. He plays terribly, costs the WFT a chance for the playoffs and gets fired on Monday. He did not follow the rules, he had no work ethic, and was the teacher's pet of Daniel Snyder. And he DID NOT WEAR A MASK. A hero for our time.

Last edited:

That being said, whether you are a athlete or just student most of you keyboard jockeys have no idea what it is like to be a college student these days. The fun is gone, your fellow students are narcing on you and add the extra pressure of playing, plus the 3x weekly COVID tests, its got to be a strain.
Or maybe Mooney is the problem. I feel like some posters are getting g very close to the smear campaign that was performed on Buck. He was apparently in the wrong but the other set of keyboard and microphone jockeys on here were disgusting in attacks.
In any event Mooney is once again short on big men.

Oh my. My goodness. I do declare.

Season is on, and no Andre Weir.

Opponents’ 5 are whooping and doing jigs.

Cause next year’s Spiders have no proven Bigs.

Alas. It is imperative. Something must be done.

Ole CM is just gonna have to reload that gun.

For the Spiders can’t win, the Spiders can’t compete

Without someone, at a minimum, with size 15 feet.

At least one poster has kept up a steady refrain,

Positionless basketball is the name of the game.

If CM doesn’t strike pay dirt, we shall see if it proves true,

That Spiders win with a bunch of short 6 footers in 2021-22.

POSTSCRIPT

Actually, just jokng here. Having some fun.

Spinning childish lines. Making terrible puns.

Sal and Grace know the system so have some appeal,

But without new 2021-22 Big recruits, less than ideal.

Wow! Great poetry, KE Spider.
Your assessment, I could not take lighter.
Without Andre Weir it isn’t clear,
That Spiders will be victorious next year.

Reactions: KE Spider
I have no problem with Weir leaving. Sounds like he was not the right fit.
The key now is getting a big man - either transfer or HS recruit to replace him and his scholarship.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
We all wanted Weir to step in and be like Grant next year, but he never played a minute for us so who knows? He might have been another PF or Kwesi. I agree the roster says we need another big to get quality minutes next year, but I am also not ready to just give up on the season without one. We would still have a lot of experience there with Grace and Sal, and there are not that many teams out there with all conference type bigs at this level. Maybe Grace and Sal both surprise us and hold their own if they have to play a combined 30-35 minutes for us next year. I have been impressed with both of them and they both keep getting better and better. They are not TJ or Grant, and it would be great to have a guy like that every year, but it is not automatic that will happen every year.

I think it has been pretty easy to get spoiled by the play of TJ and Grant, but TJ was conference POY and Grant is one of 3 active guys in all of D1 with 1500 points and 700 boards. You can't just go out and find that every year. Sure, we should try to get that guy, and keep trying this year to land a solid big, but if we don't, I still think we can put a lot of talent on the floor next year.

A Weir haiku:

Big man redacted
Message board looks for scapegoat
Yearn for new recruit

We don't need Sal or Grace to be all league players next year. But look at the rest of the roster. At this point - it looks like Burton is the only significant player we have next year. Like I said earlier - if we had more confidence in Goose or Wilson or Crabtree to step in and be more than role players, then I would not be worried about the big man situation.
But the fact remains - right now - based on the roster and what we have seen the past few years from Goose, Sal, and Grace - we are in trouble next year and it looks like a rebuilding year that if not filled properly with recruits or transfers, could easily turn into another multi-year rebuild.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
We don't need Sal or Grace to be all league players next year. But look at the rest of the roster. At this point - it looks like Burton is the only significant player we have next year. Like I said earlier - if we had more confidence in Goose or Wilson or Crabtree to step in and be more than role players, then I would not be worried about the big man situation.
But the fact remains - right now - based on the roster and what we have seen the past few years from Goose, Sal, and Grace - we are in trouble next year and it looks like a rebuilding year that if not filled properly with recruits or transfers, could easily turn into another multi-year rebuild.
Maybe, maybe not. Burton could be all A-10. Goose could thrive with more minutes, especially if he gets consistent with the 3 ball. A healthy Crabtree could give us size and shooting. Wilson could be our next great PG. Sal and Grace could hold their own. Bailey and other new guys could step in and be solid. Sure, you can call these hopes and question marks, but it is not unrealistic to think they could happen. It is what it is right now. When you have a bunch of seniors, the next year will have some questions. Let's take care of business this year, and then I look forward to seeing what these guys can do.

When have we not had a rebuilding year? I guess this year isn't supposed to be a rebuilding year, but it sure could use some new plumbing

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
When have we not had a rebuilding year? I guess this year isn't supposed to be a rebuilding year, but it sure could use some new plumbing

Literally last year. Tournament didn't happen but you cannot call last year a rebuilding year.

Reactions: VT4700
No need for rebounds next year. Yeahh

Oh my. My goodness. I do declare.

Season is on, and no Andre Weir.

Opponents’ 5 are whooping and doing jigs.

Cause next year’s Spiders have no proven Bigs.

Alas. It is imperative. Something must be done.

Ole CM is just gonna have to reload that gun.

For the Spiders can’t win, the Spiders can’t compete

Without someone, at a minimum, with size 15 feet.

At least one poster has kept up a steady refrain,

Positionless basketball is the name of the game.

If CM doesn’t strike pay dirt, we shall see if it proves true,

That Spiders win with a bunch of short 6 footers in 2021-22.

POSTSCRIPT

Actually, just jokng here. Having some fun.

Spinning childish lines. Making terrible puns.

Sal and Grace know the system so have some appeal,

But without new 2021-22 Big recruits, less than ideal.
Literally last year. Tournament didn't happen but you cannot call last year a rebuilding year.

This year had to be really tough on a lot of freshmen all across the country. Some already have a hard time adjusting to college and being away from home, but with covid, it's that much harder. He is now less than 2 hours from home. Good luck to him.

I'm actually not sure if the blanket waiver applies to mid-year transfer. The wording of the press release suggests to me that it only applies to student-athletes who were enrolled at their new school for the fall semester.

FGCU is currently on a COVID pause too...their ASUN series for this weekend (North Alabama) and next weekend (Liberty) have been postponed.

Good luck to him. I thought I saw something a few weeks ago where NCAA was considering all transfers immediately eligible this season, but not sure if it was approved, though seems to be the case in practice
Yeah, our posts may have overlapped...the blanket waiver was indeed approved. Just not sure whether it applies to players transferring now or only ones who transferred prior to the start of the school year.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
Good luck to him. I thought I saw something a few weeks ago where NCAA was considering all transfers immediately eligible this season, but not sure if it was approved, though seems to be the case in practice
Why would you wish him good luck? It’s not like we asked him to leave. He left because he didn’t want
to do the work. No D-1 coach, even at FGCU isn’t going to happy with a player that doesn’t put in the effort.
You all are always ready to attack Mooney, and now some kid is put in a position to play for the Spoders and he’s not mature to do what’s asked of him.
And you wish him good luck? That‘s just strange.

Why would you wish him good luck? It’s not like we asked him to leave. He left because he didn’t want
to do the work. No D-1 coach, even at FGCU isn’t going to happy with a player that doesn’t put in the effort.
You all are always ready to attack Mooney, and now some kid is put in a position to play for the Spoders and he’s not mature to do what’s asked of him.

You don't know what happened here, and it is very short sided for you to make this judgement before you have any facts. Very unwise thing to do in life. Don't judge others if you don't know what they are going through and if you do not know the facts behind what happened.

What you just said is what I would expect a VCU fan to say, and it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

He is a young guy that we had high hopes for that likely was impacted by covid in additionto what ever caused him to leave. How do you know what his issues were, other than the vague statements from your icon Mooney?

I’ll wish any 18 year-old kid luck in their next venture. The world will be a better place if he gets his stuff together. I would have rather it happened at UR but him having a good run at FGCU doesn’t harm us.

We could use some good karma anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT