ADVERTISEMENT

About that Billboard Ad

Stonewall D

Graduate Assistant
Dec 18, 2008
At home
After seeing and reading national and regional commentary, I am struck by the universal condemnation most college basketball fans have for the "Fire Mooney" billboard ad. I am also struck by the utter disregard most fans have for the "Fire Mooney Mafia". It greatly affected the players and the entire team. It was a national embarrassment to the University. But this is just my humble opinion.

Reactions: Spiderstew1962
I am a true Spider fan since I was 12, some 59 years ago. People are motivated by different things. Sometimes a kick in the ass is just the right motivation. I'm not really worried about what blog writers and sportswriters all across the nation think.

Say what you want about the billboard, things changed after that, and for that I am happy.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc. I am sure that billboard really helped the team improve... and FMM deserves a lot of credit for our performance this year...

Reactions: gcarter52
I am a true Spider fan since I was 12, some 59 years ago. People are motivated by different things. Sometimes a kick in the ass is just the right motivation. I'm not really worried about what blog writers and sportswriters all across the nation think.

Say what you want about the billboard, things changed after that, and for that I am happy.

So, if Coach Mooney would have been fired during the season, as was advocated, the Spiders would be better off this year? And the 20-6 record was a direct result of an insult hurled at our team, coach, and University?

In fact, if Coach Mooney would have been fired last year, the team would have unraveled. The damage to the program would have been substantial.

I don't really know why the billboard keeps coming up at this point. We're having a great season. I was in the camp of wanting to get rid of Mooney, but I give him credit – he's turned the ship around and deserves credit for that. I don't think it was crazy that a lot of people wanted him fired for years of underachievement, and I don't think those of us who did want him gone aren't allowed to be happy with the way this season has gone.

Billboard was an embarrassment, but the message was delivered that the fan
base desired improvement. I remember thinking I was doing a good job at work
and being ripped by a manager I thought the world of, in a review and I became more motivated
and was promoted in less than a year. It pissed me off but forced me to rethink how
I was doing things. Maybe Mooney had an awakening, forcing him to change like his
Match up zone to straight man.

I don't really know why the billboard keeps coming up at this point. We're having a great season. I was in the camp of wanting to get rid of Mooney, but I give him credit – he's turned the ship around and deserves credit for that. I don't think it was crazy that a lot of people wanted him fired for years of underachievement, and I don't think those of us who did want him gone aren't allowed to be happy with the way this season has gone.
The billboard keeps coming up, because it is mentioned in the national media. I heard it referenced several times on ESPN during the halftime of games. It was mentioned in regional media, recently in the Noah Goldberg podcast, where Grant Golden discussed how disheartening it was.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc. I am sure that billboard really helped the team improve... and FMM deserves a lot of credit for our performance this year...
This is complete hyperbole. The post hoc fallacy applies to those who think they caused a 20-6 team. If you had gotten your way, Mooney would have been removed during the middle of the season last year. It would have destroyed the program and the team. Probably 4 players would have transferred. You turned your back on an outstanding coach, who saved the program from Jerry Wainwright. The attitude and behavior of the Firm Mooney Mafia was a national embarrassment.

Last edited:
For all the credit you want to place on Mooney’s plate for this season (deserved so far), he is also the one responsible for not making the dance in 8 seasons and having back to back 20 loss seasons. Both sides have justification for their arguments.

So, if Coach Mooney would have been fired during the season, as was advocated, the Spiders would be better off this year?
No worse.

And the 20-6 record was a direct result of an insult hurled at our team, coach, and University?
Not an insult. A statement of dissatisfaction and only pointed at the coach.

In fact, if Coach Mooney would have been fired last year, the team would have unraveled. The damage to the program would have been substantial.
There’s no way to know this. I have more faith in the players and don’t think they would’ve unraveled. And programs survive coaching changes all the time. The important part is making the right hire.

Whether it had an effect or not, Mooney has been the 2010-11 version of himself, as well as willing to embrace some change to his tactics. Hats off to him and the players and hopefully they continue bringing it every night. They’ve been a pleasure to watch and boast about this year!

This is complete hyperbole. The post hoc fallacy applies to those who think they caused a 20-6 team. If you had gotten your way, Mooney would have been removed during the middle of the season last year. It would have destroyed the program and the team. Probably 4 players would have transferred. You turned your back on an outstanding coach, who saved the program from Jerry Wainwright. The attitude and behavior of the Firm Mooney Mafia was a national embarrassment.
It's good to see Mooney saving the program from Mooney. You don't have to stretch your mind to understand the frustration that led to the billboard whether you agree with it or not. What I would like to understand fully is what happened to get us to that. I know the symptoms, 8 years no dance, back to back 20 loss seasons, etc. but what was the disease? Is it cured? Will we relapse? What happens if we do?

For all the credit you want to place on Mooney’s plate for this season (deserved so far), he is also the one responsible for not making the dance in 8 seasons and having back to back 20 loss seasons. Both sides have justification for their arguments.

I’m willing to bet that the percentage of first year coaches making the NCAA tournament exceeds the percentage of tournaments we’ve made the previous 8 years...

If you had gotten your way, Mooney would have been removed during the middle of the season last year. It would have destroyed the program and the team.

It depends on who we would have hired to replace Mooney.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

you people are delusional. The billboard had nothing to do with it, if if you think it did, and you were part of it, come out in public and says so. CRICKETS!

The reason why we are better is simple. The players are a year older and better and Nick Sherod and Blake Francis are playing starting vs. Goose and Woj. I am not desparaging Goose and Woj, but Nick and Blake are better players.

I am happy GG called them out.

Last chance, quite being a bunch of Pu**ies and put your name behind it.

It's good to see Mooney saving the program from Mooney. You don't have to stretch your mind to understand the frustration that led to the billboard whether you agree with it or not. What I would like to understand fully is what happened to get us to that. I know the symptoms, 8 years no dance, back to back 20 loss seasons, etc. but what was the disease? Is it cured? Will we relapse? What happens if we do?

It ain't cured. It's hopped up on meds right now but the disease is still there. And to say the program would have unraveled with Mooney's departure is just ridiculous. If Hardt is the man you think he is he would have hired a top notch coach. Instead, he's shown he's nothing more than a puppet. I'm not convinced that Mooney is the long term answer, and I don't think he's deserved a longer term deal.

you people are delusional. The billboard had nothing to do with it, if if you think it did, and you were part of it, come out in public and says so. CRICKETS!

The reason why we are better is simple. The players are a year older and better and Nick Sherod and Blake Francis are playing starting vs. Goose and Woj. I am not desparaging Goose and Woj, but Nick and Blake are better players.

No where in your rant did you give Mooney credit. Typical. I didn't contribute to the billboard but I certainly don't have the angst over it that many do.

Reactions: KWeaver
I actually give Mooney tons of credit for keeping the team together and for getting them to this point. Mooney gets a lot of credit for changing and adapting his defense to his talent. He also gets a lot of credit for decreasing the playing time of Grant Golden. He also has hired good assistants and has listened to them. However, Coach was under tremendous pressure to get the most out of this team. But dial back the acrimony.

Man, I thought my first sentence and the ellipses would make my sarcasm clear. I was saying that just because we got better after the billboard was put up doesn't mean we got better because the billboard was put up (the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy). The next two lines were sarcasm.

I've said many times on here that I didn't agree with putting up billboard, that it was a mistake and bad form.

But the turnaround talk is still premature. Yes we're 20-6 but we haven't accomplished anything yet. When you've gone 8 straight years of no NCAA and 7-19 vs. VCU there's only 1 way to do that. I like our team, and primary reason why I've been expecting NCAA since the offseason. It will be a severe letdown if we don't make it and go a ninth year without a bid. And that ultimately falls on Mooney. No way around it.

If we do go to NCAA well good things come for all. Then anyone can rip that billboard stuff to shreds. Got to finish it off first tho. No participation trophies after 8 year droughts.

NCAA or bust

But the turnaround talk is still premature. Yes we're 20-6 but we haven't accomplished anything yet.
I understand that line of thinking. I personally have never put everything on the tournament. it's always the goal of course. but not making it doesn't always make a season a failure to me. this year's been fun and a huge turnaround. I've enjoyed it. I'll enjoy it a lot more if we dance. but it's been a good year.

Reactions: VT4700
The billboard did put in some motivation I believe to win. However, I do see how it hurts too. It really is a personal discussion to determine how to keep or get rid of someone. I was on board about moving forward after last year. This year we did beat the win total I think everyone is happy with that. However, the job isn't finished yet. If we miss the NCAA tournament again this year. More people will continue to show disbelief. The cards are in our favor just keep winning.

I dont know if the billboard is the reason why Mooney changed and improved. And you couldn't possibly know if the billboard had nothing to do with any improvement. Your argument is flawed, with respect...
Yes, it was an embarrassment. No, I don't care. We had the billboard, and we got positive results. Only Mooney (and perhaps Hardt) knows for sure the reasons.

Anybody want to discuss a billboard for Huesman? I sure would like to see that program turn around.

I know a lot of folks think the billboard was cowardly, embarrassing, and of poor form...I understand that and respect that opinion. I will say that at least it showed that UR folks are passionate about the program and not just sitting in their comfy bubble (8 years of no NCAA's and two straight 20 loss seasons would not be tolerated at most if not all DI basketball programs). I also don't think it's unreasonable at all to be fed up with the last 8 years of results. I'm a UR grad and fan, not a Chris Mooney grad. Believe it or not UR basketball will have another coach after Chris Mooney. I'll give CM all the credit in the world for his results so far this season and it's been said many times how good a man he is but some folks on this board seem to be bigger Mooney fans than UR fans. Do I think another coach could have taken us to the NCAA tournament over the past 8 years...yes I do..probably quite a few. Regardless, CM has a great opportunity over the next month and next year to get back to the tournament and galvanize a fanbase that has been starving for success for almost a decade. Go Spiders.

A significant reason why we are where we are this season is the change in defense. This audience likely doesn’t know what the true genesis for that was but it’s reasonable to think that some combination of external stresses (billboard, Hardt or just plain losing) pushed CM to scrap the old D. The coach, team and fans are all benefitting from those pressures to change.

Billboard was an embarrassment, but the message was delivered that the fan
base desired improvement. I remember thinking I was doing a good job at work
and being ripped by a manager I thought the world of, in a review and I became more motivated
and was promoted in less than a year. It pissed me off but forced me to rethink how
I was doing things. Maybe Mooney had an awakening, forcing him to change like his
Match up zone to straight man.
Nail meet Hammer *thumbs up emoji*

Great post Captain. I am too a UR grad. I was high on Mooney - but was also hoping that BC could have wooed him a little stronger, and that was before his recruiting took a dive. But also back on board now. Now, it seems his history will be written by what he does from 2022-2025. Does he slip back, or move forward. Long time to wait, but we are back in the long game with this guy.

Agree with the explanation as to why the team is better. We said this repeatedly before the season started. Has very little to do with Mooney's ability.

Adding another year to the formula (and a couple more players for depth) is also the same reason that next year will be a special season for Spider basketball fans. Again, has very little to do with Mooney.

If anybody thinks that Mooney suddenly and magically became a genius this year after all his other mediocre performances, then I would like to talk to you about the oceanfront property I have for sale in Kentucky.

Reactions: KWeaver and Hanca
that's a bizarre take that the roster this year and next has very little to do with Mooney. o_O

that's a bizarre take that the roster this year and next has very little to do with Mooney. o_O
Actually what’s bizarre is how poor the roster was in the preceding years to this. If he gets credit for the current roster he owns the failure for the generally poor roster assembly as well.

I think what matters is if the current trend continues which seems to be on a better trajectory.

Agree with the explanation as to why the team is better. We said this repeatedly before the season started. Has very little to do with Mooney's ability.

Adding another year to the formula (and a couple more players for depth) is also the same reason that next year will be a special season for Spider basketball fans. Again, has very little to do with Mooney.

If anybody thinks that Mooney suddenly and magically became a genius this year after all his other mediocre performances, then I would like to talk to you about the oceanfront property I have for sale in Kentucky.

I just want to say that just because you have a talented squad, doesn't mean that you will win. It takes the work of coaches and players being on the same page. Give credit where credit is due...

CM most definitely gets credit for the current roster and this year's success. He has a special, veteran group that has taken their lumps as young players and grown exponentially. Next year's group will have even higher expectations. Reminds us all of 2010-11. That's what worries me. You can say "Shut up and just enjoy the next two years"...and I would understand and accept that...especially compared to the last two seasons of 20 losses. But I want to see CM build and maintain a strong foundation after he loses these veteran guys. It's going to be really interesting seeing how everything unfolds over the next few seasons with a possible contract extension (I realize we haven't even made the NCAA's this year) but if we do keep trending up this year and next. CM has a 15 year resume at the helm and he has never finished higher than 3rd in the regular season A-10 standings despite the glimmer of the two tournament years. The next few years are going to be fascinating to see which way the program goes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT