ADVERTISEMENT

Letter to AD

SpiderFan

Graduate Assistant
Jun 7, 2001
I'll share what I sent this morning to AD Hardt (if it reaches him at the university-provided email address) if folks on here are interested. Obviously I am not a great writer so its probably a lot of rambling, but its hard to write coherently when your morning has been destroyed by news of the basketball program's continued insanity:

Good morning John, hope you are well. I am a graduate of the business school from 1997, a fraternity member and alumni member of the Men’s club soccer team for my entire school career. Not an athlete per se but an athlete nonetheless. I have been lucky enough to work in sports media (finance) the last 10 years of my career. I am not the most active alumnus compared with many others. I do follow all the sports teams, have since graduation. I’ve lived as a proud alumnus through the 1998 men’s basketball tournament upset, the Sweet 16 run of 2011, football’s national championship in 2008, the introduction of the men’s lacrosse program, as well as all the swim team, cross country & field hockey championships to name a few of the highlights over the last 20 years. I was lucky enough to watch the baseball team beat Ga Tech a few weeks ago as I live right near their campus.

I wanted to take the time to reach out about your recent decision to keep Chris Mooney as the head basketball at UR, while conversely giving Michael Shafer his walking papers. I think you made the right move with Shafer, he had always recruited well but never had those results materialize on the court for whatever reason and I think after 16 seasons it was time to cut the cord. However, I think you’ve made a large mistake retaining Coach Mooney. I have no doubt he is a nice guy and model coach from an ethical and personality standpoint. But that’s where the benefits to our program end in my eyes. His success in the NCAA tournament over 8 years ago is a distant memory. His failures on the court the last 4 years (I believe this downward spiral began not two seasons ago but 4 or 5) cannot be corrected at this point. Unless you’re a Mike Krzyzewski, Tom Izzo or someone of that ilk have a coach at a program more than 10 years with no results is a waste of the program’s time and his time. He has not adapted in 14 years, his teams don’t rebound, they don’t shot well from the free throw line and now over the last few years they don’t shoot the 3 very well either. It is not an attractive brand of basketball to watch either. You can play a clip from 2009 and today and see the same weave at the top of the key that goes nowhere 8 out of 10 times.

This was a chance to make a change and show the fans/supporters of Spider athletics that this institution is focused on returning a program that wins, not just “competes”. The school has consistently invested highly in the staff and infrastructure of this program for it not to be successful. The transfers of players out of the program the last several years and the ones who simply can’t cut it at the A10 level are the norm, not the exception year in and year out. I don’t see what 1 more year really does. The loss of Nick Sherod to injury was not as devastating as some people think. The schedule was awful this past season and was the year before as well. Maybe it’ll be tougher next year, but that is irrelevant for what should have been obvious after these last 2 seasons. What was the excuse last year?

I have not given money to the school for over 4 years because of Coach Mooney still being employed. And I won’t until he is a thing of the past. I know my donations are not going to swing the pendulum at the school like a Queally or Robins, and maybe that’s the problem—money. If someone of that stature is in a coach’s camp I guess they might put pressure on the AD and dept. I wouldn’t expect any less, happens everywhere from Phil Knight to T. Boone Pickens. But when you look at the men’s lacrosse team coming from literally nothing 5 years ago and already have 2 more NCAA bids in the last 8 years than the basketball team, you can deduce that it doesn’t take a lot of time to create a winner. That was successful from jump street because of the man at the top Coach Chemotti. Maybe the current buyout was too much to get rid of the coach this year, I don’t know.

I just wanted to take time to express my dissatisfaction with the program and the direction I think it has been and continues to be headed: backwards. Thank you for your time and attention to listen to a disgruntled and disillusioned alumnus.

Totally agree, SpiderFan, on our LAX program that continues to be on an upward trajectory. Because of Coach Chemotti's leadership, the players define success as winning our conference.

I sent the below message to Hardt last week. Many of us are on the same page, and I believe fans are also ones willing to accept change and probably some pain to get back to the top. Unfortunately, a lot of people simply can't deal with change and actually fear it. That's what I see in the AD and his minions. Only time will tell and by year-end, we'll know the trajectory for both our FB and MBB programs.

AD Hardt,

As a long-time Spider fan, even before I was a student, I’ve experienced plenty of ups and downs in both major sports. But since the 2011 Sweet Sixteen run, our basketball program has been on a downward trajectory that simply has to end, and I’m hoping you will stop the bleeding this year.

For years now, we’ve heard all the excuses -- we’re young, we’re competing/improving, we have injuries, we have tough admission standards, and of course, we’ve got a great class coming next season. In fact, we’re young and short on the bench, more because of all the recruiting misses for 8 years plus the inability lately to keep veteran players.

But most of all, I see very few results for the millions spent on Robins Center renovations and new practice facility, along with over $4 million dollars pumped into this program annually, including $1.2 million paid to a Head Coach in a ridiculous 10-year contract. I hope you will NEVER give any coach that length of contract, but instead construct ones that hold them truly accountable for real performance results, like us out in the business world live with each and every day.

For this level of investment and just because we're UR, I expect success and a commitment to excellence, which means winning A10 championships and going to the NCAA Tournament. If they aren’t the basketball program’s #1 and #2 goals and coaches aren’t held accountable for meeting them way more often than not, you need to inform us. Then we can stop deluding ourselves and know we’ll never get back to the top.

I have to say that, after some .500 seasons, I was willing to give Coach Mooney time. But after these two embarrassing, losing seasons, the time has come to bite the bullet, eat the remaining contract dollars, and part ways with him. I have little hope that he and his staff can turn the program around after seeing 14 seasons of HIS basketball system. If he’s still at the helm, I believe we’ll just have more player classes that will never know how it feels to “go dancing” in the NCAA Tournament. What talented recruit wants to commit to that.

That’s why, unless a coaching change is made this season, don’t count on my season ticket renewal or annual donation to athletics. I’m Spider born and Spider bred. And while I appreciate what these coaches accomplished earlier this decade, it’s absolutely time for a coaching change, that will give us some hope for success in the future.

Thank you for listening,

Okay, we have 2 so far. Excellent work gentlemen! Probably more but not posted here, yet. Please do so and maybe we can get to 81? I mean 82. :)

I have sent several emails to Hardt as well, including one today in response to the email that contained the Q&A with John O'Connor.

As one of the many alumni that are extremely frustrated by the decision to keep Coach Mooney, I have several specific questions related to the below Q & A.

First, if one or more of the returning players decides to transfer or is kicked off the team in the off season will that change the dynamic? Will Mooney be held accountable or will he just get another pass until the following season?

Second, please look back at our record before Nick Sherod was injured this year and keep trying to tell us with a straight face that his injury lead to our issues this past year. Will another injury next year be used as an excuse after we inevitably have another terrible year?

Will a change be made after we get off to another terrible start to the out of conference portion of our schedule next season? Or will you once again lie to our faces that you are waiting to make an evaluation at the end of the year?

Have you taken notice of the other A10 programs willing to make changes much more quickly than UR? Aren't you afraid of being left behind as the conference improves?

Have you considered that our returning players would stay and play better for a new coach? It seems like you are making a short-sighted decision because of the potential roster for next year when you should really be looking at the overall body of work that coach Mooney has compiled over the past 14 years.

How much has one or two large donors influenced this decision? From the feedback I am seeing and hearing, you have caused a lot of anger among alumni and fans and many are no longer going to purchase season tickets and/or are going to stop donating to the university.

I don't think words can describe the extent of my disappointment and frustration with this incredibly inept decision.

I have sent several emails to Hardt as well, including one today in response to the email that contained the Q&A with John O'Connor.

As one of the many alumni that are extremely frustrated by the decision to keep Coach Mooney, I have several specific questions related to the below Q & A.

First, if one or more of the returning players decides to transfer or is kicked off the team in the off season will that change the dynamic? Will Mooney be held accountable or will he just get another pass until the following season?

Second, please look back at our record before Nick Sherod was injured this year and keep trying to tell us with a straight face that his injury lead to our issues this past year. Will another injury next year be used as an excuse after we inevitably have another terrible year?

Will a change be made after we get off to another terrible start to the out of conference portion of our schedule next season? Or will you once again lie to our faces that you are waiting to make an evaluation at the end of the year?

Have you taken notice of the other A10 programs willing to make changes much more quickly than UR? Aren't you afraid of being left behind as the conference improves?

Have you considered that our returning players would stay and play better for a new coach? It seems like you are making a short-sighted decision because of the potential roster for next year when you should really be looking at the overall body of work that coach Mooney has compiled over the past 14 years.

How much has one or two large donors influenced this decision? From the feedback I am seeing and hearing, you have caused a lot of anger among alumni and fans and many are no longer going to purchase season tickets and/or are going to stop donating to the university.

I don't think words can describe the extent of my disappointment and frustration with this incredibly inept decision.
P.S. I spiked the Robins Center coffee pot with ex-lax this morning. Hope you enjoyed your cup of Joe this morning.

Here's what I sent:

Dear Czar Hardt,

I am writing to implore you to keep me as a Spider fan. I admit that I've had some rough years recently and haven't attended as many games as I used to, haven't made it to any road games and really haven't tried very hard to distract opposing players the way I used to in the Robins Center. (The last time Virginia Tech came to the Robins Center, I really gave it to one of their guys who was wearing compression socks up to his waist. This was before everyone did it, and since it looked a lot like pantyhose, I may have yelled as much at him constantly.)

In my defense, it's much harder to be a Spider fan than it is to be a fan of other teams in this area, like UVA, VCU, Virginia Tech, etc. Those big schools will let any fan into their arenas. At Richmond, it's hard to find parking, the online ticket system is weird... I don't know, I feel like I'm at a big disadvantage. So maybe grade me on a "fan curve" or something?

Also, our team continues to get worse and worse, and there are a lot of distractions that take up my time these days instead (raising a family, posting selfies to Snapchat, watching Zion Williamson and prepping for fantasy baseball, that kind of thing).

I would like to remind you for the first time (since you weren't here then) of that day back in 2006 when I road-tripped up to the GW game with some buddies and we got absolutely WRECKED before the game and proceeded to get into it with a ton of GW fans in their sold-out arena. Clowns. We beat them that day too in a great game! That was a great fan moment of mine.

Oh, and there were also those back-to-back years when a bunch of us went up to Atlantic City and screamed our lungs out back-to-back-to-back days two years in a row from really good seats. I feel like that effort should always be front and center in your mind. I am capable of that again, I know I am! So please, when you are evaluating me, DON'T FORGET THOSE GAMES!

Look, I'm not an idiot. I read the messageboards. I know there are a lot of people who call me names and want me banned. Some even have me on ignore, or so I've heard. (There's really no way to know for sure.) This has been a tough couple years for me. My one-liners aren't quite what they used to be, but I've been working incredibly hard to come up with terrific commentary. I practice this every day. "Write 100 great one-liners in a row before bed!" That's hanging over my bed.

My goal is to have the very best commentary and insight that I can possibly and potentially have myself. I will know when I've reached that goal, but no one else is likely to know. But if anyone has earned the chance to continue on as a Spider fan, it's me!

In closing, if you ask almost anyone who knows me, they will tell you this: "Mr. Legger, that guy is one of the guys I know."

Do I mean one of the BEST guys they know? Sure, something like that. Stay in your lane bro.

I look forward to retaining my role as Spider fan.

Yours truly,
Eight Legger

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT