ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

2 seasons ago, we had 8 OOC games announced by early June, and 12 OOC games announced before the start of August after adding Clemson as our 12th in late July.
Yeah … when I renewed my senior tix this week I asked my normal contact when we should expect to hear the rest of the schedule and he said before Labor Day but we will see …

Pepperdine is now off the board, showing up on the visitor side of the Arizona Tip-Off.

Down to 6 teams from the top 10 conferences and 49 D-I programs overall that are not yet linked to an MTE.

I'm headed out on vacation for a week. Y'all better have this straightened out by the time I get back.
And then there were five...Rice is in the Baha Mar Nassau Championship.

Tulsa, UTSA, Indiana State, Southern Illinois, and us remain.

43 D-I teams overall are lacking a known spot.

• Sad
Reactions: gospidersgo
Looking at the Blogging the Bracket tracker, here are known MTEs with spots still available:

- Gulf Coast Showcase: Ball State (258 NET) plus 7 others. Southern Illinois (116 NET) and Eastern Kentucky (219 NET) appear to also be in this based on tweets and schedule releases, but the tracker is missing them, so looks like 5 spots available in reality.

- Jacksonville Classic: Rhode Island is in this, so we can't be. Detroit Mercy is also in, but the tracker is missing them.

- Arizona Tip-Off Desert Division: Merrimack (213), New Mexico State (289), and Pepperdine (226) are in this, with 1 spot available. It would be games against two of those in Tempe, plus a road game at Butler, Mississippi State, Northwestern, or UNLV.

- Baha Mar Hoops Nassau Championship: Arkansas State (148), Iona (210), and Rice (241) are in this, with 5 more spots available.

- Missouri MTE: Missouri (158), Pacific (359), and Arkansas Pine-Bluff (328) are in with 1 spot remaining.

And here are last year's NETs for all the teams Blogging the Bracket says are not yet linked to an MTE, removing the small handful that I've seen actually appear to be in an event.

28 Indiana State
73 Richmond
95 Cornell
99 Louisiana Tech
106 Morehead State
112 Hofstra
129 UT Arlington
137 Troy

140 Chattanooga
145 Tarleton State
154 Weber State
164 Bryant
188 Saint Peter’s
194 Marist
196 Cleveland State
198 Tulsa
200 Harvard
221 Austin Peay
222 Georgia State
225 Columbia
228 Bowling Green
248 South Alabama
249 Central Connecticut
260 Western Illinois
261 Coppin State
262 UTSA
263 Citadel
267 Lehigh
276 Oral Roberts
282 Tennessee State
290 Wagner
305 Delaware State
324 Fairleigh Dickinson
330 NJIT
334 Dartmouth
335 Manhattan
338 Army
341 Florida A&M
347 Incarnate Word

Last edited:
Looking at the Blogging the Bracket tracker, here are known MTEs with spots still available:

- Gulf Coast Showcase: Ball State (258 NET) plus 7 others. Southern Illinois (116 NET) and Eastern Kentucky (219 NET) appear to also be in this based on tweets and schedule releases, but the tracker is missing them, so looks like 5 spots available in reality.

- Jacksonville Classic: Rhode Island is in this, so we can't be. Detroit Mercy is also in, but the tracker is missing them.

- Arizona Tip-Off Desert Division: Merrimack (213), New Mexico State (289), and Pepperdine (226) are in this, with 1 spot available. It would be games against two of those in Tempe, plus a road game at Butler, Mississippi State, Northwestern, or UNLV.

- Baha Mar Hoops Nassau Championship: Arkansas State (148), Iona (210), and Rice (241) are in this, with 5 more spots available.

- Missouri MTE: Missouri (158), Pacific (359), and Arkansas Pine-Bluff (328) are in with 1 spot remaining.

And here are last year's NETs for all the teams Blogging the Bracket says are not yet linked to an MTE, removing the small handful that I've seen actually appear to be in an event.

28 Indiana State
73 Richmond
95 Cornell
99 Louisiana Tech
106 Morehead State
112 Hofstra
129 UT Arlington
137 Troy
140 Chattanooga
145 Tarleton State
154 Weber State
164 Bryant
188 Saint Peter’s
194 Marist
196 Cleveland State
198 Tulsa
200 Harvard
221 Austin Peay
222 Georgia State
225 Columbia
228 Bowling Green
248 South Alabama
249 Central Connecticut
260 Western Illinois
261 Coppin State
262 UTSA
263 Citadel
267 Lehigh
276 Oral Roberts
282 Tennessee State
290 Wagner
305 Delaware State
324 Fairleigh Dickinson
330 NJIT
334 Dartmouth
335 Manhattan
338 Army
341 Florida A&M
347 Incarnate Word
What happened to Southern Illinois?

I think Tulsa is the other one here. Regardless it won’t be us. Missouri has released their schedule & they r playing those other 2 teams. We r not joining a Missouri MTE to not play Missouri.

I think Tulsa is the other one here. Regardless it won’t be us. Missouri has released their schedule & they r playing those other 2 teams. We r not joining a Missouri MTE to not play Missouri.
Thanks, I had missed that Mizzou's schedule was complete. Blogging the Bracket said it's a 3-game MTE so a 4th team would have gotten Mizzou, but clearly it's only 2.

But yeah, even so, didn't see it as a likely fit for us.

I have to imagine scheduling for mid-majors like ourselves and other A10 teams has become more difficult with the transfer portal. As mentioned earlier - in the past, you would ideally schedule harder when you knew you were going to have a strong team. But that is harder now than ever given the portal and we are no different - look at our team last year that won the A10 regular season, and now we have a lot of new faces. Hard to predict what you will have year to year.

This also makes it harder for MTE's to invite you as they can't predict either and must rely on your program history. They are likely more willing to trust teams like a Dayton and VCU - who have been consistently good the past several years, to a team like UR - who has the potential to be good, but can also produce back to back losing seasons. So that has likely hurt us.

This makes the not MTE scheduling that more important - because until we turn in a consistent 4-6 year run where we are winning 20+ games a year and have a notable win or two each year, these higher level MTE's probably won't call us.

we filled our portal spots in April and May. it's August. and we have 7 (?) games to fill?
or we're the only team keeping scheduling secrets and we ask teams we're playing to keep the secret too.

as for MTE's, it's not just the historically elite teams that have been invited. pretty much EVERYONE is in an MTE already. so no, they're not having a hard time evaluating Richmond while they have no problem evaluting everyone else.

I actually think we'll hear news this week. because it can't go on indefinitely. at some point you're the last available pretty girl to be asked to the dance.

I don't know, I have been thinking "we HAVE to hear something this week" for a while now ha.

I got the email from the ticket office about the renewal deadline coming up and I said I'm sure I would still be a buyer since I always am it's just a part of me would like to see a little more of the schedule. I don't think that's too much to ask.

we filled our portal spots in April and May. it's August. and we have 7 (?) games to fill?
or we're the only team keeping scheduling secrets and we ask teams we're playing to keep the secret too.

as for MTE's, it's not just the historically elite teams that have been invited. pretty much EVERYONE is in an MTE already. so no, they're not having a hard time evaluating Richmond while they have no problem evaluting everyone else.

I actually think we'll hear news this week. because it can't go on indefinitely. at some point you're the last available pretty girl to be asked to the dance.
I am preparing to be underwhelmed. I guess we could be holding back some super secret awesome OOC but that would defy both common sense and recent past history with how we communicated big game announcements.

I hope I am completely wrong, but I don't how one could be optimistic right now that we are not about to handled a giant sh*t sandwich of an OOC schedule.

If you have big games scheduled, announce them and drum up interest and buzz. There is no benefit to only letting the NIL Spider elite know about things, if that is what's happening.
Agreed - even if the big games are away, you can still use this to drum up buzz for season ticket holders. As you could sell it as a possibility to see a very good team returning to the Robins Center after some big wins on the road. But the fact we have heard nothing is not good. This is not one of those areas where no news is good news.

Reactions: urfan1
Two of the better remaining teams, Indiana State and Hofstra, have been added to Baha Mar Nassau...3 spots left there now.

There's also a new Troy MTE with Merrimack and UTSA joining them. Merrimack was supposed to be in the Arizona Tip-Off Desert Division, so their switch has opened up a second available spot in that one.

According to Blogging the Bracket, that leaves just 3 teams from the top 10 conferences without an MTE...Tulsa, us, and Southern Illinois. But Southern Illinois looks to be in Gulf Coast and GK thinks Tulsa will go to the Mizzou MTE (makes sense), so that leaves...us.

Still a number of spots left in both Gulf Coast and Baha Mar Nassau...either one would be pretty much a flop of mid and low majors, especially with Indiana State very unlikely to be near last year's level.

Last edited:
Two of the better remaining teams, Indiana State and Hofstra, have been added to Baha Mar Nassau...3 spots left there now.

There's also a new Troy MTE with Merrimack and UTSA joining them. Merrimack was supposed to be in the Arizona Tip-Off Desert Division, so their switch has opened up a second available spot in that one.

According to Blogging the Bracket, that leaves just 3 teams from the top 10 conferences without an MTE...Tulsa, us, and Southern Illinois. But Southern Illinois looks to be in Gulf Coast and GK thinks Tulsa will go to the Mizzou MTE (makes sense), so that leaves...us.

Still a number of spots left in both Gulf Coast and Baha Mar Nassau...either one would be pretty much a flop of mid and low majors, especially with Indiana State very unlikely to be near last year's level.
S-man's prediction of last girl getting asked to the dance is getting more and more likely.

Another okay one in UT Arlington is off the board, along with Let’s Go Peay.

We would still have a few home & homes ooc. And it was a little bit hyperbole. But hey something to consider in the NIL era.
I mean let's face it, our OOC home games recently have not been anything that you can get too amped up about. All of our big home games are conference games.

We obviously are going to have our own home buy games each year. But am I excited about going to see VMI, William and Mary, and Belmont at the Robins Center, nope. I doubt many are. It is the unfortunate reality of the current landscape of college basketball.

So since getting quality games at home is a lost cause at present, we need make sure we can get them either on the road or in a neutral court setting.

Last edited:
Is it possible we don't play in an MTE? Is it better to not play in one that will give us any decent games and just go out and get 1-2 crummy games on our own? Or better to play in one and just get the extra games?

Is it possible we don't play in an MTE? Is it better to not play in one that will give us any decent games and just go out and get 1-2 crummy games on our own? Or better to play in one and just get the extra games?
I think it's better to play in one. Gives you tourney experience u can maybe use for the A-10 tourney. Gives u confidence if you win it, no matter who it is against. And, gives us extra games to look at our guys, which could help narrow the rotation come conference time. And, it's just a freaking terrible look to be the highest ranked team in the NET to not be in one. Just schedule some freaking games already!!!!!!!

I think you always want an MTE for the extra games on the résumé and experience, but man, this really does push the limits of value.

BTW, looks like the Mizzou one is only a 3-team round robin, so there's no 4th spot available there. So it's us and Tulsa from the top 10 conferences still hanging.

I mean let's face it, our OOC home games recently have not been anything that you can get too amped up about. All of our big home games are conference games.

We obviously are going to have our own home buy games each year. But am I excited about going to see VMI, William and Mary, and Belmont at the Robins Center, nope. I doubt many are. It is the unfortunate reality of the current landscape of college basketball.

So since getting quality games at home is a lost cause at present, we need make sure we can get them either on the road or in a neutral court setting.

Yeah u need those major games somehow and I personally think most fans would take high profile away/neutral games over 1 or 2 of these low and mm games we are getting at home. If we have some arbitrary mimimum home ooc games, some say that's 6, going lower when u have to is not a dealbreaker to me, especially when these games r not revenue drivers. The weak ooc games is when we have lowest attendance and the giveways.

If we are in the Gulf Coast MTE that is likely 1 less away/neutral single major games we'd have. Still assume Auburn is 1. I thought 2 of those was possible thinking we'd be in a 2 game MTE not 3. With 3 game neutral MTE, that leaves 4 games left. Only have 3 home games now, so I expect 3 out of 4 of those will also be home to get us to 6. Our opener is 1, possible non-d1 team idk, and maybe another MM H&H that some posters love for reasons I don't get. with the other maybe Auburn. With our schedule as is, a 2-game mte is better so we could get another major game imo. Alas.

And I'm fine going on road for games as stated many times. But at least have most be majors, for the upside & other benefits. Look at ours if we're in this Gulf MTE. We'd have 6 away/neutral games...bucknell, w&m, charlotte & whatever mediocre to worse games in the Gulf MTE. 6 of those. That's doing it wrong. That would be the worst structured schedule with little upside in a long time.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I think you always want an MTE for the extra games on the résumé and experience, but man, this really does push the limits of value.

BTW, looks like the Mizzou one is only a 3-team round robin, so there's no 4th spot available there. So it's us and Tulsa from the top 10 conferences still hanging.
Agree. It's very frustrating.

Gulf Coast MTE has Ball State, Southern Illinois and Eastern Kentucky in it. And then 5 open slots to be filled. I suppose that is why it looks like it might be a place for us to land. Keep in mind at SF said above, every P5 team has already committed along with every Atlantic 10, Mountain West, WCC, Missouri Valley conference. So, whomever fills those 5 spots, they are going to have very similar profiles in it as the 3 schools already committed.

It is scheduling malpractice that the reigning A-10 champions from last year is literally the only team of competitive value that does not have an MTE at this point. I mean what we were doing all Spring and Summer when these were getting done, on vacation, not answering our phones, turning down offers. It just kind of blows your mind that we are here right now.

I mean what we were doing all Spring and Summer when these were getting done, on vacation, not answering our phones, turning down offers. It just kind of blows your mind that we are here right now.
didn't someone here said that we're in an MTE and have been for a long time ... just hasn't been announced?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I think it's better to play in one. Gives you tourney experience u can maybe use for the A-10 tourney. Gives u confidence if you win it, no matter who it is against. And, gives us extra games to look at our guys, which could help narrow the rotation come conference time. And, it's just a freaking terrible look to be the highest ranked team in the NET to not be in one. Just schedule some freaking games already!!!!!!!
I totally understand and agree with you but it takes two to tango!

UR is going for the Mr Irrelevant spot. It is marketing genius to get some press coverage. /s

I can’t wait for the spin that is going to accompany the schedule. Good thing I buy season tickets because of the conference games as @97spiderfan mentions. Those are the only good games that can be counted on.

I would not be schocked to see a D2 or D3 team at the Rob this year.
the-simpsons-stop.png

• Haha
Reactions: plydogg and GKiller
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT