ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 Schedule News

Our OOC schedule is a shit show right now. We have all of these guys returning and our best game thus far is Toledo. Spare me the Marcus Jenkins was our lead scheduler. This isn't damn rocket science to schedule quality games.
Here is the shit show reference, you harp on. At the time, we had Wofford, ODU, Bucknell, and William & Mary signed on. Yep, that was pretty shitty at the time. We've since added NC State, Louisville/Mississippi St, Maryland and Utah St to the schedule and I praised those additions.

Signing multi-year deals with Patriot League and CAA schools is a bad look. You can debate that I suppose but I don't know too think schedulers who would agree with that. I don't claim to be a rocket scientist because this isn't rocket science and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to understand this, just a basic understanding of the NET and how scheduling such programs is going to impact our NET.

Are we for sure getting Utah State in the Navy Tourney/Showcase? I just saw it was us, Navy, and Utah State playing a doubleheader, but did not see where it said we would be playing Utah State. Just curious if we could somehow get stuck with Navy or the 4th team who joins in.

Here is the shit show reference, you harp on. At the time, we had Wofford, ODU, Bucknell, and William & Mary signed on. Yep, that was pretty shitty at the time. We've since added NC State, Louisville/Mississippi St, Maryland and Utah St to the schedule and I praised those additions.

Signing multi-year deals with Patriot League and CAA schools is a bad look. You can debate that I suppose but I don't know too think schedulers who would agree with that. I don't claim to be a rocket scientist because this isn't rocket science and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to understand this, just a basic understanding of the NET and how scheduling such programs is going to impact our NET.

We are going to have landmines on the schedule every year, no way around it but there's no reason to lock yourself into a multiple year deal putting that landmine on the schedule when you can get them whenever you want anyway as needed. I get what you are saying for sure. Can't understand why the rose colored pompom brigade is so upset and keeps putting words in your mouth.

I will say, since I removed Nathan Davis from my avatar and stopped hyping him for our CFL position - he has slacked off quite a bit last two years. I'm sure any deals with Bucknell are right out of the GOB network with our highly motivated AD sealing the deal.
Schedule looking pretty solid this year so far - would like to play at least one or two more marquee games. As we have seen with the schedule - some bad games will turn out OK to good, and some good games will turn to mush. So, especially this year, would be best to over schedule.

Yes, it was officially announced yesterday. We play Utah State at 6pm on 11/12 on CBS Sports Network. VT and Navy play at 8:30.

Hope I can make the two mile trip to the game. LOL. I better start packing.

Reactions: spider fan
Boom...home-and-home with Drake, starting on the road. Very likely a Q1 opportunity.

Need one more game to fill out the schedule.

Last edited:
Boom...home-and-home with Drake, starting on the road. Very likely a Q1 opportunity.

Need one more game to fill out the schedule.

Glad to hear you say that, was wondering if they would be close to last year's level...

Glad to hear you say that, was wondering if they would be close to last year's level...
They should be good. They lose Yesufu (transferred to Kansas) and Penn. But they've got four extra-year guys...Hemphill will be back after missing substantial time down the stretch last season with a broken foot, Murphy is using his extra year, and Akinwole is an extra-year guy coming in from Omaha and a strong three-point shooter.

I guess Charleston return game we owe has been pushed back a year. Tho we had a similar situation a few years ago w South Alabama that wasn’t announced until late & we ended up still playing them. So possible C of C will be on schedule.

I’m skeptical bc that would make 8 of 13 ooc games away or neutral & think more likely planning 1 more home game. However I’d do it bc if we play to level we’re capable of it would help the NET numbers over a similar home one.

I think we have to be the most experienced team ever. How many times could any other team have started four guys playing their fifth year of college basketball?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
don’t forget coached by the most tenured experienced coach within the A10. 17th year at Richmond.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Speaking of which, the Rammies just landed a 2022, 6'10" top 150 guy,
I don’t put much stock in recruit rankings once they’re outside ~top 50. The people who do the rankings aren’t paying close attention past that point. Better to look at other offers. His best offers were Pitt and Penn State, good offers (always good to beat out P5’s) but not really what you’d expect a top 150 guy’s best offers to be.

Charleston has announced their home non-conference schedule and we're not on it. Not sure what the plans are for the return game we still owe them.

As a Furman fan does anyone know the status of the FU home and home since the game at UR was cancelled last year? Thanks

Have not heard anything, but would not be surprised if it’s just been canceled entirely.

Lot of arrangements fell by the wayside last year, whether it was due to schedule adjustments before the season started or missed games due to COVID, and I haven’t seen a lot of appetite among programs to maintain the deals on revised schedules.

Reactions: Paladins01
UVA to play at JMU on December 7th. Getting them to play us at the Robins Center is to put it mildly unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

It was a 2-for-1 arrangement, and the middle game was supposed to be last season as one of the first games in JMU's new arena. But not only were they not able to have fans for it, but the matchup got scrubbed entirely and pushed back to this year with the shortened/revamped schedules last year.

Bahamas tournament apparently still waiting for some i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed. Mississippi State announced their home OOC schedule today, and at the bottom, they list their full OOC schedule. Shows a "TBD" multi-team tournament on 11/25 and 11/27, the dates of the Bahamas event.

JOC says we've added NC Central as a home game, and still mentions Wofford as a road game. Also notable, W&M game has been pushed back a year, and the one remaining game to fill should be a home game.

NC Central was even worse than W&M last year, but they've made some recent NCAAs out of the MEAC, although the conference is so bad that they will be a NET anchor even if they have a good record. Still, we seem to have minimized these types of games for this year, so I won't complain too loudly about having one of them on the schedule. :)

Last edited:
JOC says we've added NC Central as a home game, and still mentions Wofford as a road game. Also notable, W&M game has been pushed back a year, and the one remaining game to fill should be a home game.

NC Central was even worse than W&M last year, but they've made some recent NCAAs out of the MEAC, although the conference is so bad that they will be a NET anchor even if they have a good record. Still, we seem to have minimized these types of games for this year, so I won't complain too loudly about having one of them on the schedule. :)

1 is ok although the last one could easily be along those same lines. We need to avoid that. It's not exactly easy but it would be nice to get more of higher visibility home game for the OOC to drive a little more fan excitement too. Right now ODU is the top game. While W&M is not very good that game did offer some regional rivalry elements, but more importantly when W&M or Bucknell is your worst home OOC game that's not bad. I was liking we were avoiding the total dogs. But now with Central and possibly 1 other....

Central has 18.7% returning minutes per Bart Torvik. Predicted 336 out of 358. So the worst kind of Net anchor. W&M I bet ends up 100 spots higher in NET. They have 83.9% coming back and may be slightly undervalued. So a bad swap. Let's see what we can do with the last game.

As long as it's not scheduled for Dec. 23...

I think u mean Dec 22. the xmas "getaway" game as we labeled it. I can't remember who called it that but my money is on John Hardt.

I was actually hoping the DC game at the arena in Anacostia was coming back, except not on the 22nd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT