ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 Schedule News

Last year's marquee non-conference home game ended up being... Q3 Wofford. Of course, we only played three OOC home games total.

Anyway, yeah, I'd like to think we can get one more high-quality game on the schedule. Regardless, even though they look like they might be Q2, NC State and Louisville/Miss St. will carry a lot more weight than our Q2 Vandy game from last year did.

Maryland is projected to be very good next year...they could easily be like WVU was last year, top 10-20 range, and we get them on a neutral court. Mississippi St. could also be borderline top 25 in a best-case scenario and could very well be a Q1 game.

Could end up being very similar to the Wisconsin/Auburn setup we got two years ago at Barclays. Of course, we're not guaranteed to face Mississippi St., but NC State should still be solid, much better than New Mexico, which was our other possibility at Barclays.

Whenever I see MTE, I think meals ready to eat... Close enough, right? Let's go eat in this tourney this year!

Reactions: SpiderK
The MTE is Maryland and Louisville or Mississippi St. in the Bahamas.
At some point I've got to stop doing 13 things at one time...I always think you need at least 8 teams for an MTE...

Anyway, so unlike most of our tournaments we have to go find our own 300+ NET home teams... ;)

Not sure who we’ll end up up matched up with, but intriguing.

Utah State probably will be down a bit, but still decent…they’ve got a few solid pieces left in Bean and Miller, but the coaching change to deal with.

Navy wouldn’t make a splash, but they shouldn’t be terrible.

At some point I've got to stop doing 13 things at one time...I always think you need at least 8 teams for an MTE...

Anyway, so unlike most of our tournaments we have to go find our own 300+ NET home teams... ;)
Yeah, the rules changed before last season, so MTEs can only be two or three games now instead of four. And in the chaos of last season, it was easy to miss that.

Not sure who we’ll end up up matched up with, but intriguing.

Utah State probably will be down a bit, but still decent…they’ve got a few solid pieces left in Bean and Miller, but the coaching change to deal with.

Navy wouldn’t make a splash, but they shouldn’t be terrible.

I see what you did there…

Reactions: SFspidur
Just spotted this article from last week by D1 Docket, with a few relevant tidbits:

- Georgia State game is 11/16, and it's a $75,000 buy game.

- No date for the W&M game given, but it's the first game of a four-year deal. We shouldn't be doing an even home-for-home deal with them, but I expect that's what it is. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it ends up being a 3-for-1.

is that the 1st 2 for 1 in our favor we've been involved with? I can't remember any. we usually either go home and home or it's a buy game.
Well if that doesn't deserve a banner and a contract extension, I can't imagine what does. ;)

Is Charleston about done with their OOC? Wondering if that could be the last game?

The Bucknell game is part of a 2-for-1 arrangement. First two games at UR, then at Bucknell in 2023.

Bucknell, pre-Christmas game. Anyone who has followed us for the past decade, should be able to make some good cash via the sport betting apps on this game.

Bucknell is not a good program, plays in a crappy one bid league. In a good year, maybe we eek a Quad 3 game out of this. Why are we doing 3 year deals with programs like this. We can pick up these games any day of the week and some are forced upon us with the MTE deals that we sign. This make no sense from an NCAA bid stand point. This add either a bad win or the potential for a devstating loss to our schedule the next 3 years.

Same thing with William and Mary. I'm hearing Danny Rocco and his vision comments in my head right now. Complete lack of vision.

Bucknell has obviously been a solid program, but the past two years have been a worrisome slide for them. I can write off last year with the truncated Patriot League intrasquad season, but they weren't good the year before either.

If they can get back to dominating the Patriot with a top 100 NET, I'd be fine with a deal like this, but I'm concerned that that's not going to happen, at least over the next three years.

So probably it's just Hardt taking care of his old friends.

W&M is obviously viewed as a rivalry game, but it really hasn't been for 20 years.

Reactions: plydogg
There it is...we play Utah State, while Navy faces Virginia Tech. Would have preferred to match up with VT, but I'll take the Aggies.

Utah State ended last season at #47 in the NET, so that would squeak in as a Q1 game on a neutral court, but I expect them to be down some this year. I'm optimistic they'll still be top 100, making it a Q2 game.

Now how do we talk them into letting the winners play the next day?

Bucknell was bad 2 years ago, but they've had a lot of success the last decade. there are much worse teams to play than Bucknell.
"there are much worse teams to play than Bucknell" S-man this statement is such a great reflection of your worldview of our program. Yeah, I suppose there are worse teams we could play, but perhaps just for a second consider their are also a ton of better teams that we could have played as well.

Interesting game with Utah State, lost Queta - top big man in MW, and couple other cogs left with the coach. Article linked talks about roster and Odom brought in a couple guys from UMBC with him, and has some key experienced guys returning.

"there are much worse teams to play than Bucknell" S-man this statement is such a great reflection of your worldview of our program. Yeah, I suppose there are worse teams we could play, but perhaps just for a second consider their are also a ton of better teams that we could have played as well.
you expect every game to be a quad 1 or 2. and you seem to think we can pick up the phone and get any game we want.
you're unrealistic.

you expect every game to be a quad 1 or 2. and you seem to think we can pick up the phone and get any game we want.
you're unrealistic.
As usual, your wrong. No I don't want every game to be Quad 1 or Quad 2, nor do I expect every recruit to be a 4 or 5 star which is the charge you always like to throw out as me.

What I do want is for us to schedule the very best schedule we can and recruit the very best players we can and not settle for second best.

A 3 year deal with Bucknell and 4 years with William and Mary is not trying to schedule the very best schedule we can. Here are 7 games over the next several years that are nothing but landmines and NET anchors for our squad to play with. Oh and you can best believe Mooney is gonna lose a couple of these, it is what he does.

Hardt and Mooney could put a put a little brown turd on a piece of bread and you would say, "Hey this is alright, I've had worse". Your predictable, you settle every single time for whatever piece of mediocre crap they want to serve us up.

lol, what a joke. you cry about everything ... but I'm wrong and I'm what's wrong with the program. you started whining about our schedule a month ago when it was only half put together. now you whine about Bucknell, who's made the tournament 4 times and won 2 twice since 2011.

end of the day, our schedule will be a very good schedule. I'm sure in your mind it'll be because you whined about it here and the staff heard your complaints.

Reactions: plydogg and VT4700
Bucknell has obviously been a solid program, but the past two years have been a worrisome slide for them. I can write off last year with the truncated Patriot League intrasquad season, but they weren't good the year before either.

If they can get back to dominating the Patriot with a top 100 NET, I'd be fine with a deal like this, but I'm concerned that that's not going to happen, at least over the next three years.

So probably it's just Hardt taking care of his old friends.

W&M is obviously viewed as a rivalry game, but it really hasn't been for 20 years.

Nice job with all of the info on the thread. I think these are great series to have to fill schedules. It is unrealistic to try to have all Q1 or Q2 games. No program does or will ever do that. And, it makes sense to have some of the games like this on the road because of how the NET works. So, I like adding them as long as we have enough other quality games, which this year we have done.

As usual, your wrong. No I don't want every game to be Quad 1 or Quad 2, nor do I expect every recruit to be a 4 or 5 star which is the charge you always like to throw out as me.

What I do want is for us to schedule the very best schedule we can and recruit the very best players we can and not settle for second best.

A 3 year deal with Bucknell and 4 years with William and Mary is not trying to schedule the very best schedule we can. Here are 7 games over the next several years that are nothing but landmines and NET anchors for our squad to play with. Oh and you can best believe Mooney is gonna lose a couple of these, it is what he does.

Hardt and Mooney could put a put a little brown turd on a piece of bread and you would say, "Hey this is alright, I've had worse". Your predictable, you settle every single time for whatever piece of mediocre crap they want to serve us up.
So you’re assuming that Bucknell and W & M will be quad 4 teams, and we should win them all?
And the better we are, the more difficult it is to schedule games- we’re still considered a mid-major.
I have to agree with Spiderman, you tend to be unrealistic.

Speaking of Bucknell...old timers will likely remember this head scratching holiday loss...sadly I do not remember what Quad they were...only the shocking end versus our 2011 Sweet Sixteen team!

Go Spiders!

• Sad
Reactions: gospidersgo
Ugh, that one hurt. Muscala was certainly a player and those were some pretty good Bucknell squads.

I personally think the schedule is shaping up pretty nicely. The opportunities will be there.
You would probably think that... Except that the indoor hardwood locusts are supposed to hatch this year by the trillions, sometime between November and February, so we'll probably lose a bunch of scheduled games...

VT and S'man being Mooney's water boys. Somethings will never change. I didn't say this year's schedule is not shaping up nicely. In fact, I praised the NC State game, and MTE we got in. Said, we still need at least one more Quad 1 game for a team that is the most experienced team in the history of college basketball. But yeah, lets go play Bucknell with this team.

What I said is Bucknell and William and Mary are bad programs that we shouldn't be signing long term deals with. Look at where Bucknell is going under Nathan Davis, not good, so project that out for the next 3 years and the liklihood of it being a Quad 3 or even 4 game for us are pretty good. William and Mary has never been good. Both play in leagues that even if they are decent which are bad 1 big leagues that routinely get 15 and 16 seeds, so their NET will take regular hits night in and night out during conference play.

If we still had Joey Brackets on staff, he would have told us as much. Why would a program with the investments we made and the aspirations we say we have, pre-emptively sign long term deals with programs like this? Same reason we keep Mooney, it's easy and we have enough fans who are not educated enough to be like, ehh, I think this sounds good.

yeah, we're not educated enough and you're the rocket scientist. everyone that disagrees with you is wrong. you must be fun at parties.

"I didn't say this year's schedule is not shaping up nicely." lol

you're unrealistic.
Surely you agree there's a wide gap between "every game Quad 1 or 2" and only 3 total Quad 1&2 games, which is what we got the year Mooney went on the record saying we'd have the best schedule in the A10. Let's just aim for between those two extremes.

I am pleased that we have 3 games against P6 teams that aren't doormats. I still think there's room for another marquee game, especially given we have the most experienced team in CB history, and the "great" expectations CM has set. Schedule accordingly.

I'm saying that while I haven't seen any Patriot league projections yet, most years having Bucknell on schedule isn't the tragedy that 97 makes it out to be. every team will have quad 3 and 4 games. no team is only scheduling teams from multiple bid leagues.

I'd love to add another big game if we can get it. right now we have some P6 games and we have some really good games against strong teams from non-P6 leagues. it's a good schedule already. the schedule won't hold us back at all. losses will.

I thought it was foolish to complain about the OOC schedule in mid May with limited information. I wasn't worried our final schedule would be a "shit show". I'm still feeling pretty confident about that. heck, I might even end up right for a change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT