ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Hicks - 2021 Offer

Not sure what u mean but I realize u r new here. The L is taken. Always respected Temple as a basketball program & said as much in my earlier reply to u. Also not 1 of these message board posters who after we lose someone says no big deal. Think he'll help u guys as he would have us at UR, best of luck to Zach Hicks.

I'm no fan of Philly in general so Mooney being from there doesn't impress me. Our over abundance of Philly connections hasn't exactly worked out here. We are absolutely loaded this year but there is crap ton riding on this year too. Maybe if we didn't have such a philly stench at UR we would have had more success over the years. Half the time it feels like our Philly ppl employed at UR talk about Philly sports more than they do the Spiders. Nothing personal to my Philly friends of which I have quite a few but something to consider.
That’s because we live in a town that has professional sports as well as college sports. The R-Braves or whatever they’re called now don’t count. Neither does the Richmond soccer team (Kickers?).

Please most cities are passionate, nobody has a monopoly on that. Tho Philly pro teams don't have much to show for it with championships. But that's not the point anyway. I was simply raising our well known Philly centric AD dept. No reason to be a concern for u but UR fans get it. Or maybe it is a point b/c our own Philly guys haven't won enough either. Your comment is rich coming from a guy who got his panties in a wad over a fairly innocent comment about Temple not being in the best area or having lot of commuters. FWIW I've heard the same but that doesn't matter to me.
Not true about the passionate cities. What is Atlanta passionate about? Richmond? I’ve seen enough games to know that the majority of our fans aren’t passionate as they sit quietly throughout the games. I wouldn’t consider Charlotte a passionate city either. And there are many who aren’t passionate about certain sports. LA lives it’s Dodgers and Lakers but could care less about football. There are many other examples. Philly is not the only passionate city, but it’s one of the few that’s passionate about all 4 sports teams. Your argument about not having many championships to show for it only supports that point. The Phils are the losing team in baseball history. The Flyers haven’t won a Stanley Cup since I was born in 1975, but good luck getting a season ticket. The Eagles and Sixers sell out regularly as well. Lots of passion for little payoff.

Reactions: jobecca and JHG722
That’s because we live in a town that has professional sports as well as college sports. The R-Braves or whatever they’re called now don’t count. Neither does the Richmond soccer team (Kickers?).

I don't live in Richmond and not sure what Richmond has to do with it but....ok cool hook em

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
Not true about the passionate cities. What is Atlanta passionate about? Richmond? I’ve seen enough games to know that the majority of our fans aren’t passionate as they sit quietly throughout the games. I wouldn’t consider Charlotte a passionate city either. And there are many who aren’t passionate about certain sports. LA lives it’s Dodgers and Lakers but could care less about football. There are many other examples. Philly is not the only passionate city, but it’s one of the few that’s passionate about all 4 sports teams. Your argument about not having many championships to show for it only supports that point. The Phils are the losing team in baseball history. The Flyers haven’t won a Stanley Cup since I was born in 1975, but good luck getting a season ticket. The Eagles and Sixers sell out regularly as well. Lots of passion for little payoff.

Said most cities. Of course there are exceptions. Atlanta being a good example. Lived there many years. It is not a pro sports town and has lot of transplants. Anyway I never said Philly was not passionate they just don't have a monopoly on it. To think so is very parochial and provincial.

Oh, and one more thing. Love the tough Philly tough guy mentality to come on our board when you already knew this kid had picked temple of losses. That is very typical of the soft philly guys we got stuck with in Richmond. That is why GiantKiller is complaining. You message board warriors are the kind of tough guys we get stuck with in Richmond. Embid type of mental toughness. Lunardi type of mental midgets. Good luck with the basement of the AAC.

OK, done for the moment:)

Reactions: plydogg and GKiller
Oh, and one more thing. Love the tough Philly tough guy mentality to come on our board when you already knew this kid had picked temple of losses. That is very typical of the soft philly guys we got stuck with in Richmond. That is why GiantKiller is complaining. You message board warriors are the kind of tough guys we get stuck with in Richmond. Embid type of mental toughness. Lunardi type of mental midgets. Good luck with the basement of the AAC.

OK, done for the moment:)

Haha. This is so spot on 23. Exactly right we get the Philly soft embid Lunardi types at UR. And this temple dude is just like em. Dime a dozen out of philly. U have to be a soft weird dude to go to another team’s message board when u already know you’ve beat them out on a recruit.

jhg722 just hitting refresh all day on spiderfans to pick up 1 innocuous comment on Temple. Weirdo. And then recruits a bunch of others from his temple board to come troll too...Hey guys I really need your help over on a message board I went to troll let’s do this guys, #Phillypassionforever. Btw r there Richmond fans posting over on owlpoop? I doubt it but idk I don’t even look at their board. And then u got these soft serves getting all bent out of shape over Philly pro teams next. JHG I bet the type that is all over Facebook comments & those comments on espn or yahoo articles. I mean aren’t DC Boston Pittsburgh & NYC college area and pro sports teams taking shots at Philly...and each other & vice versa...all the time. Dude’s probably got an app that alerts him when commuter crime and Temple are in a sentence together or when someone says “The Process”.

sorry it’s really weird and we all know it. Funny thing is I never originally said 1 bad word about Temple. btw never heard TU fans described as passionate. Anyway like I said Philly can be quite parochial or provincial. Pittsburgh is like that too. Maybe it’s a PA thing. Get your heads out the sand & stop thinking u r the best fans. u r not they r all over. Heck I agreed about the ATL re: pro fans but guess what they r hardcore passionate college football fans down there and college football is arguably #2 sport.

23 gets it. we don’t need more soft Philly types who don’t do enough but take pride in their obnoxiousness and how passionate they r we just want ppl who will get the job done.

The best part gkiller is that he/she already knew the outcome but was screenshotting this thread to Zach's family for some reason? Pretty funny.

That can’t be real can it? This thread went sideways but I missed that. Dude gotta live in his moms basement...in a nice row house a couple blocks from Temple’s campus of course.

Moon man should actually disavow Philly. Bc 1 thing we all know is his 0-9 streak and 2 for 15 overall ain’t keeping your job there.

but we r not going to think those thoughts right now bc we r so damn loaded this year.

Now that's another interesting story, after our AD stepped down and Mooney only had 3 years left on his 10 year deal, somehow he got extended for a year - with no AD. Anyways, I'm moving on. Fun Friday afternoon, and stock market rallied this afternoon, for the moment anyway.

The guy who did that also said none of the AD candidates had met w the hiring committee yet and then boom we hired Hardt within the week. Funny how that worked. There were no candidates. The fix was in. The AD hire was such a public scam. But I don’t think Hale makes the triumvirate a quadrumvirate.

Said most cities. Of course there are exceptions. Atlanta being a good example. Lived there many years. It is not a pro sports town and has lot of transplants. Anyway I never said Philly was not passionate they just don't have a monopoly on it. To think so is very parochial and provincial.
Philly might not have a monopoly on passionate fan bases, but I would double dog dare you to show up at any Philly pro sporting event and try to make that argument. Because we do have a monopoly on crass, drunken, will kick your ass just for the hell of it fan bases.

Went to see the Dolphins play the Eagles with my roommate many years ago. We of course were decked out in Dolphin gear and were mercilessly booed as soon as we entered. Had batteries, drinks, etc thrown at us as we took our seats. My roommate made the mistake of wearing his Dan Marino autographed jersey which was promptly squirted with mustard and ketchup. The only thing that saved our asses is that we bought every beer the vendor had when he came around. Didn’t share them but earned some respect.

Reactions: spider23
Philly might not have a monopoly on passionate fan bases, but I would double dog dare you to show up at any Philly pro sporting event and try to make that argument. Because we do have a monopoly on crass, drunken, will kick your ass just for the hell of it fan bases.
Correct , my friends dad is a long life Philly guy. St. Joe's fan, Eagles fan. Whole family (three generations), went to an Eagles game. Paid over 100 buck oer seat for nosebleed GA seats and were cheering for the Eagles and got screamed at by drunk Eagle fans. And yes the fans threatened to kick the 10 year olds and the 75 year olds ass,lol. But no, I dont think any of those guys were as tough as Hicks and Embid lol.

As a 11 year old I got to venture up to Philadelphia for a Braves-Phil’s games. The Red Wings had just beaten the flyers for the Stanley cup and I was proudly donning a Stanley Cup Champs Red Wings shirt. I learned a lot of new colorful language and insults directed at me for my choice of attire that day.

Later on the the game Chipper Jones caught a pop fly in the face (Sun was beaming, had to be well over 100 on the Vet turf In June) and the fans cheered as he left the game injured.

Philly fans are a whole different level of insane. They cheered as Michael Irvin was carted off the field with a career ending injury. They booed hometown great Kobe and Santa. Tough crowd.

Lived in Delaware from 77-80 and probably greatest pro sports time in Philadelphia history
with Flyers, Sixers, Phillies all winning championships and Eagles losing in Super Bowl. I saw
Mike Schmidt hit 2 hrs and a double then strike out last time up and get booed. Philly fans are what
I called “A$$ Hole Perfectionist”

Lived in Delaware from 77-80 and probably greatest pro sports time in Philadelphia history
with Flyers, Sixers, Phillies all winning championships and Eagles losing in Super Bowl. I saw
Mike Schmidt hit 2 hrs and a double then strike out last time up and get booed. Philly fans are what
A friend of mine from Philly said that the Parks and Rec department used to hold an Easter Egg hunt each year - and they booed all the kids who didn't find eggs.

I'm a big Philly fan, that's how I grew up. Probably my favorite Philly fan story was when I went to see them play the O's at Camden. The Phils were good that year and the section I sat was predominantly Philly fans. Two dudes next to me were O's fans and the O's scored an early run and they stood up to cheer. Huge mistake. Those guys didn't make a sound the rest of the game. There was a brawl a few innings later as several other O's fans had the audacity to continue to cheer for their team in their home ballpark.

Second favorite was when I was in Philly and the Flyers were in the playoffs. Went to a local bar before the game started and asked the bartender if they were going to show the game. His response was "Dude, your in ****ing Philadelphia". He then loudly told the rest of the bar the question I asked. So, they will eat their own too.

When you grow up like around that as I did, you just expect that is how every fan base cheers. Now, when I go back up their for games, I kind of roll my eyes a bit and if I am walking in or sitting by fans with other teams gear on, I try to give them a warning, that it isn't going to fair well for them if they want to really represent.

I would never go to a Philly game and root for the opposing team. I get why everyone hates it and as a diehard Philly fan, you wear that as a badge of honor, but yes their is a segment of our fanbase that takes the drunken degenerate badge way too far. .

Oh you double dog dare me? Well I gotta do it now.

I don’t think going in as a opposing fan and purposefully antagonizing the home fans works well in many places. There r fights at every nfl stadium weekly. fwiw I’ve been to a Flyers game in philly cheering (normal not obnoxiously) for a rival & had no problems.

but sure we agree Philly has more of the crass drunken ones who like to start fights more than other cities. Not a monopoly but lot more. Congrats.

and we also agree Philly has a lot of the fake tough but actually soft types. The ones we get at UR, those temple trolls, the Lunardi’s and embids and the game 7 flyers among others.

I think u lived there much longer than u realized or have purposely shortened the time in your mind for therapeutic reasons.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think u lived there much longer than u realized or have purposely shortened the time in your mind for therapeutic reasons.
Unfortunately the memories are back since my son lives up there now with his family. My father worked up there and Baltimore in the early 30's as a collection agent. Now tell me how lovely a job was that and he survived to fight in WWII. I think he told me the Pacific Theater was safer than that job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT