ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Hicks - 2021 Offer

@plydogg - sourced from your same website. Not arguing one side or the other, but just encouraging you to be careful with stats...

University of Richmond reported 240 safety-related incidents involving students on or near campus or other U of Richmond affiliated properties in 2018. Based on a student body of 4,023 that works out to about 59.66 reports per thousand students. In 2018, of the 4,210 colleges and universities that reported crime and safety data, 3,886 colleges and universities reported fewer incidents per thousand students than did U of Richmond.

Reactions: plydogg
@plydogg - sourced from your same website. Not arguing one side or the other, but just encouraging you to be careful with stats...

University of Richmond reported 240 safety-related incidents involving students on or near campus or other U of Richmond affiliated properties in 2018. Based on a student body of 4,023 that works out to about 59.66 reports per thousand students. In 2018, of the 4,210 colleges and universities that reported crime and safety data, 3,886 colleges and universities reported fewer incidents per thousand students than did U of Richmond.

Very interesting indeed. Can be manipulated on total crime or crime per capita as both tell very different stories for temple and Richmond. Thank you for sharing that, as an Econ major I love statistics and analyzing them!

Reactions: Spiders05
This is a really bad statement to make IMHO. Its fine to say you personally prefer Richmond's campus etc. but many many people would be very comfortable on and might prefer a more urban environment and might even be uncomfortable with/in UR's environment. Further, there is no evidence that Temple's campus is "not in a great area" - - - this is a perception with heavy racial overtones (intended or not). I went to UR and worked at Temple and can certainly say that the Campuses are different, but presuming Richmond's to be better is off base. Certainly it will be for some, but Temple will be better for some too.

So, with that out of the way, I hope Zach ends up at Richmond for whatever his reasons might be (not the least of which is that we are better at basketball than Temple).
I have friends who attend Temple. They all live at least 30 minutes away from their main campus because the crime is so bad in that area of the city. I didn’t intend to insult urban areas or come off as racist - there are parts of urban philly that are nice. Temple is not one of those areas. And I’d wager that, when you worked at Temple, you commuted from a nicer area just like my friends do.

I understand that in order to be admitted to Temple, you have to have at least two felony convictions. Is that accurate?

I have friends who attend Temple. They all live at least 30 minutes away from their main campus because the crime is so bad in that area of the city. I didn’t intend to insult urban areas or come off as racist - there are parts of urban philly that are nice. Temple is not one of those areas. And I’d wager that, when you worked at Temple, you commuted from a nicer area just like my friends do.
Richmond is certainly nicer, but I highly doubt your friends at Temple commute from 30 minutes away. You could practically be in Delaware in that time. I have plenty of wealthy suburban students that have attended there and live within blocks of campus. In fact, every student I’ve known who has attended Temple (tens of them) either commute from home or live there. One of my friends even owns multiple row homes that he rents to students within blocks of their business school. I have no desire to send my kids there, but why did your friends go there if they were so scared?

Reactions: Jimowl
I think Zach needs a new PR guy, 3PM Friday on a holiday weekend announcement, that is classic news dump time :):):):). I'm sure it is a big decision and hope he enjoys the weekend! No news from the zoom calls, I do like that ours was last, though who knows if that was just a last ditch effort.

Got trolls coming in 1, 2....

In reality, I think it is mostly going to come down to which team, situation (basketball wise) and head coach he feels most comfortable with. I often wonder how these decision dates work. Does he already know a couple days ago? Or did he and his mom basically say: "We have all the info we are going to have without campus visits, so let's pick a date and make a decision?"

Why would he sign at Richmond and have to lool at all of those goofy Confederate statues that you people love to display prominently in the middle of town..Comparing Richmond Virginia to Philly is a joke...Richmond is not even in the same conversation in regards to culture, sports, or culture (unless you want to discuss the confederacy)..
I mean, that's more of a VDU thing anyway, but they are all down or soon to be down, so...

Got trolls coming in 1, 2....

In reality, I think it is mostly going to come down to which team, situation (basketball wise) and head coach he feels most comfortable with. I often wonder how these decision dates work. Does he already know a couple days ago? Or did he and his mom basically say: "We have all the info we are going to have without campus visits, so let's pick a date and make a decision?"
Most of these kids know weeks in advance and are just waiting for their promo videos to be finished.

I feel like this one is leaning to Temple, BUT I will say - a school with 29,000 undergrads has what they term a priority recruit making a decision this week, and have 44 posts. Maybe I'm missing a different board. But this speaks to the apathy if there is not another board.

Our entire message board has read this thread. Zach Hicks' family has too. Just remember that.
... And they've seen what, exactly? That we have a bunch of great fans who want this kid to play for us, who enjoy good humor and who make factual statements in support of our school? The horror!

If you already have inside scoop, you two are sure poor winners. Hate to have seen you over the last season. And yes, takes one to know one, haha. I guess this is a big win for you since not much success on the court last year. And picked 9th out of 10 next year in the AAC. Enjoy your big W.

Anyone have access to this, rivals Temple board thread on Hicks? Wondering what the sentiment is over there.

https://temple.forums.rivals.com/threads/zach-hicks.13082/

If Zach's mom is checking these out, please note these numbers:

Richmond message board posts: 55 , Temple board - 27

Richmond undergrad ~ 2,900 Temple ~ 29,000

And Steve Thomas loves your kid more than his own :) :)
55 posts since... June 3rd. Where do you find the time?!?!

Reactions: jobecca
If you already have inside scoop, you two are sure poor winners. Hate to have seen you over the last season. And yes, takes one to know one, haha. I guess this is a big win for you since not much success on the court last year. And picked 9th out of 10 next year in the AAC. Enjoy your big W.

I don't think you want to compare basketball histories. It wouldn't be pretty.

I don't think you want to compare basketball histories. It wouldn't be pretty.

We love our history. Best Cinderella school in NCAA history. Ask Charles Barkley if he’s more scared of Richmond or Temple. I’d rather have that history than always being “good“ but never winning it all and just disappointing the fans

I live 5-10 drive from campus maybe 15 blocks away. It’s one of the most affluent and up and coming places in the city. Get a clue.

Reactions: jobecca
I couldn’t find Chuck’s scoreline in that one, seems you define Charles Barkley’s auburn career by what happened 30 years later.

That’s weird, but I guess the bar at Temple is set so low.

Well, since you didn't look, he never faced us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT