ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Hicks - 2021 Offer

This would be a big get - - - not just because of the player fit, but it would show we can outrecruit some P5s at times.

Oh man, now it is going to feel like forever until Friday. Anybody have any educated or informed guesses here?

your primary contact doesn't change so Zach's would still be Steve Thomas. but I'm sure Mooney is heavily involved at this point.

interesting decision. Nice that Missouri is out. I like our chances a lot, but there's always the lure for some to play at home. Temple's 15 minutes from Camden NJ.

Looks like Mizzou's open wing spot was taken by Sean Durugordon when he committed to them last week.

Reactions: plydogg
In a pre-Covid universe, I think UR is the no-brainer choice. The arrow is certainly pointing up at Richmond, with recruiting, facilities, and the always first-class academics all seemingly aligning at the exact same time. The future is bright the next 4+ years, and Zach could be competing to make the Tournament all 4 years.

But in today's pandemic climate, I think local schools are going to have a leg up on local recruits, and that's Temple's biggest advantage. Add-in an enthusiastic Twitter mom that obviously will want to watch him play, plus this Zoom meeting news, and my best guess says this is leaning Temple. Prove me wrong Zach!

If I'm a 6-7, outside-inside wing, I wouldn't mind Nelson and Wilson dishing me the rock for 4 and 3 years, respectively.

Reactions: urfan1
Anyone have access to this, rivals Temple board thread on Hicks? Wondering what the sentiment is over there.

https://temple.forums.rivals.com/threads/zach-hicks.13082/

If Zach's mom is checking these out, please note these numbers:

Richmond message board posts: 55 , Temple board - 27

Richmond undergrad ~ 2,900 Temple ~ 29,000

And Steve Thomas loves your kid more than his own :) :)

I guess I need to counter that with a 100% prediction to UR :)

No insight than anyone else on this, unfortunately. Agree with Kenny, in that COVID has changed a lot of things right now. From what I can tell, short of pulling a Wade or a Pitino, we've done everything we can to show him why UR is the best place to spend his college years. Hoping I'll get a better sense later today.

According to UR Covid response website, 0 active cases, and 9 cumulative cases overall. Meanwhile, Temple just went full online due to a spike in cases from 50 to 200 over last weekend. Just saying, mom.

Given commuting nature of Temple generally, can't see them faring better than the long famed Richmond "bubble". We were bubble before it was cool to bubble.

Any idea if he ever got to take a visit to Richmond? Basketball aside, I think 95% of people would pick Richmond over Temple if they toured both. Temple is not in a great area

Any idea if he ever got to take a visit to Richmond? Basketball aside, I think 95% of people would pick Richmond over Temple if they toured both. Temple is not in a great area
doubt a pretty campus is high on his list. kid wants to win and play in the NBA. he'll go wherever he thinks gives him the best chance.

I think our biggest advantage is with the rosters. Temple's coming off a 17 loss season. they don't have much talent in the front court. and they brought in 3 wings last year. I think we're better situated for his success.

Yes, agree with all, a lot of reasons to choose the Spiders. I did listen to a bit of that spotify interview with his AAU coach. His AAU coach is friends with Temple coach Aaron Mckie. May just come down to who can be the closer, as 97 asked. Mooney vs Mckie. Who is going to hack the zoom call and listen in?

This is a really bad statement to make IMHO. Its fine to say you personally prefer Richmond's campus etc. but many many people would be very comfortable on and might prefer a more urban environment and might even be uncomfortable with/in UR's environment. Further, there is no evidence that Temple's campus is "not in a great area" - - - this is a perception with heavy racial overtones (intended or not). I went to UR and worked at Temple and can certainly say that the Campuses are different, but presuming Richmond's to be better is off base. Certainly it will be for some, but Temple will be better for some too.

So, with that out of the way, I hope Zach ends up at Richmond for whatever his reasons might be (not the least of which is that we are better at basketball than Temple).

Reactions: JHG722
Yes, agree with all, a lot of reasons to choose the Spiders. I did listen to a bit of that spotify interview with his AAU coach. His AAU coach is friends with Temple coach Aaron Mckie. May just come down to who can be the closer, as 97 asked. Mooney vs Mckie. Who is going to hack the zoom call and listen in?

This feels like a classic Spider23 set-up, circa 2018.

This is a really bad statement to make IMHO. Its fine to say you personally prefer Richmond's campus etc. but many many people would be very comfortable on and might prefer a more urban environment and might even be uncomfortable with/in UR's environment. Further, there is no evidence that Temple's campus is "not in a great area" - - - this is a perception with heavy racial overtones (intended or not). I went to UR and worked at Temple and can certainly say that the Campuses are different, but presuming Richmond's to be better is off base. Certainly it will be for some, but Temple will be better for some too.

So, with that out of the way, I hope Zach ends up at Richmond for whatever his reasons might be (not the least of which is that we are better at basketball than Temple).
This kind of bugs me. I work with someone in the greater philly area, and her son went to grad school at Temple, and she said it was in a bad part of town. I stayed with some friends in the philly area this weekend. Their son is a freshman at Temple, and one of them said the same thing. Neither of these people ever have mentioned race or ever exhibited racist tendencies. Look at Vinton, Va. In the Roanoke area. This is considered a bad part of town. I have only seen white people in Vinton. The fact that you equate "bad part of town" with race is a bad statement if you ask me. Let's judge everyone on their merits and not go looking for racism. BLM. Peace out.

23 is absolutely right here. In 2018 temple reported 623 on-campus safety related incidents. Of the 4,210 colleges and universities that reported crime and safety data there were 4,112 that reported fewer incidents. So they’re literally in the top 100 for crime on campus.

Reactions: spider23
Anyone around for 90s city of Richmond? I was and the crime there isnt even equitable to what we see in either city today. Im sure SpiderRick can back me up on this. All this is much ado about nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT