ADVERTISEMENT

VCU's New Assistant Coach: Jamal Brunt

Great hire for VCU. I am sure he will recruit tremendous talent to VCU just like he did here. Remember when he signed some studs for us, like...uhhh....ummm...well..

pretty sure he and Rhodes have been friends for years

Didn't he play for Rhodes and wasn't he an assistant for Rhodes at R-MC? He didn't last long at Miami.

Reactions: McSpider67
This is not a great hire for VCU in terms of recruiting. However, he is a nice guy and should be a good role-model for the players at VCU. He may even be able to help keep some of the guys from getting in trouble and being dismissed from the team. Oh wait, does that ever happen there or are we the only Richmond team that enforces team rules?
My read is that he was probably not successful at Miami and was asked to look elsewhere. However, that is just speculation and an effort to connect some fairly obvious dots.

Wasn’t Brunt the assistant who flicked off the loyal Spider fans in section 5 during a game when they were yelling at CM for a coaching blunder? You can’t hide class!

Brunt will give Rhodes an insight to the mind of Chris Mooney he could only guess at before, hopefully Chris will realize this and add some new tricks

If most coaches aren't willing to move around they will not move up

Brunt will give Rhodes an insight to the mind of Chris Mooney he could only guess at before, hopefully Chris will realize this and add some new tricks

If most coaches aren't willing to move around they will not move up
Brunt may help Rhoades learn how to crack the Globe Trotter Weave (Mooney’s only trick)

URFan1, like my 13 year old dog, Mooney won’t learn any new tricks.

Why the sudden dislike for Brunt? I don't remember any negative talk about him when he was here. I think he was a big part of Miami's top ten class last year. Looks like VCU got a pretty good one to me.

Why the sudden dislike for Brunt? I don't remember any negative talk about him when he was here. I think he was a big part of Miami's top ten class last year. Looks like VCU got a pretty good one to me.

People on this board have complained about him for years.

I never like him . He fools Coach big time .
He was poison to program . He gets promoted to ass ciach because he uses f word to fans . I think I am as quality as him and i am old man w big belly . He never fools me . I am thinking of him you are snake. Whisper whisper in the ear . Whisper whisper. And he was. We all find out the truth. When he visits in Robins maybe i get seat behind bench and say hey f u MrSnake Ha

Last edited:
People on this board have complained about him for years.

Well, that does not surprise because people on here complain about a lot of things. I was talking in the real world. He seemed to have a good rep here and I don't remember any negatives about him.

Well, that does not surprise because people on here complain about a lot of things. I was talking in the real world. He seemed to have a good rep here and I don't remember any negatives about him.[/QUOTE

Because he tells negatives about everyone else.
Whisperwhisper ha

Last edited:
Well, that does not surprise because people on here complain about a lot of things. I was talking in the real world. He seemed to have a good rep here and I don't remember any negatives about him.
The negatives were he couldn't recruit worth a damn.

The negatives were he couldn't recruit worth a damn.

Having it both ways again? I thought the talk on here was that Mooney only got to back to back tourneys because of the great players that "bailed him out".

Wasn’t Brunt the assistant who flicked off the loyal Spider fans in section 5 during a game when they were yelling at CM for a coaching blunder? You can’t hide class!

Fit right in with Rhoades who told me F*** U when I was yelling about his mentor Shaka using the same kind of language.....................during a game at Robins.............

Having it both ways again? I thought the talk on here was that Mooney only got to back to back tourneys because of the great players that "bailed him out".
The theory is he was lead recruiter for
Sparrow, Pietrowski, Singleton, Taylor, Diekvoss, Friendshuh, Smithen, and Dominaus.
That as soon as he left we got Buckingham & Sherod...

How accurate the theory is, is very debatable...

Ithink everybdy has opinion . Maybe you think Mr Snake did good job no problem . I think he was a problem ok. I think his whisper talk to Coach caused problem more than just recruiting because Coach for sure trust him , make him ass coach and thn all goes to hell i think easy to see.

I mean, you're just making stuff up now. Brunt did not recruit Harper, Brunt did not recruit Anderson, Brunt did not recruit Geroit, Brunt did not recruit Gonzo. That was the team that got us to two NCAA tournaments.

I'll give him partial credit on Buckingham. But it's no coincidence that we landed Golden and Gilyard after he was gone. Jenkins actually knows how to recruit.

Last edited:
Heh, SpiDaMan thinks (unfortunately for us) that this is a really good get by the community college on Franklin street. Sucks for us. I hate this one. No matter what anyone says about his background he did the good work for us and was a good guy. Yes, I've been lurking and not posting for many years. I'm not buying that he's a bad or corrupt guy. Come on folks. We're better than this...

Last edited:
Brunt to VCU is one of the best covert moves our program could have made. I hope their recruiting and scheduling is as good as ours was the last few years he was here.

Reactions: KWeaver
There may be no causal connection, but when Jenkins got here our recruiting did appear to take a major LEAP forward. I believe Jenkins is far stronger as a recruiter, and that was something we sorely needed. When Brunt was here I also never felt that our scheduling was that great either, and I am fairly sure that Brunt did our scheduling.

I agree that Mr. Brunt's "re-positioning" at VCU is likely a "W" for UR. We probably could not have planned it any better. He gives them one less effective recruiters and if Rhodes is also not a stellar recruiter, they could have difficulties bringing in adequate talent. Brunt could also likely schedule them out of the NCAAs, if they will ever be sniffing that territory anyway. Rhodes may regret this decision, and it may take a few years to recover too. I wish JB only the best at VCU.

There may be no causal connection, but when Jenkins got here our recruiting did appear to take a major LEAP forward. I believe Jenkins is far stronger as a recruiter, and that was something we sorely needed. When Brunt was here I also never felt that our scheduling was that great either, and I am fairly sure that Brunt did our scheduling.

I agree that Mr. Brunt's "re-positioning" at VCU is likely a "W" for UR. We probably could not have planned it any better. He gives them one less effective recruiters and if Rhodes is also not a stellar recruiter, they could have difficulties bringing in adequate talent. Brunt could also likely schedule them out of the NCAAs, if they will ever be sniffing that territory anyway. Rhodes may regret this decision, and it may take a few years to recover too. I wish JB only the best at VCU.

Rhoades

So, Rhodes it is then. Are you missing the Wade, Shaka recruiting classes yet? I'm sure the addition of Brunt will help with that.:D

VCU makes its 2018 class official with the signings of Keshawn Curry, Corey Douglas, PJ Byrd & Vincent Williams, top-10 non-power conference class this fall

VCU makes its 2018 class official with the signings of Keshawn Curry, Corey Douglas, PJ Byrd & Vincent Williams, top-10 non-power conference class this fall

Worst recruiting class for VCU in a long time. They usually have a 4 star and a few 3s as well. Just a single 3 and some 2s this year, which is very similar to our incoming class! You guys even got a recruit with no other offers! Stop copying us! I like this Rhoades guy, he reminds me of somebody.

Last edited:
Worst recruiting class for VCU in a long time. They usually have a 4 star and a few 3s as well. Just a single 3 and some 2s this year, which is very similar to our incoming class and that is not a good thing for VCU! I like this Rhoades guy, he reminds me of somebody.

Depends on what site you use. People spend too much time worrying (complaining) about a guy's star rating. I have seen Byrd listed as a 3 star and VCU's Williams got a 4 star rating with espn and 2 star rating with 247. That inconsistency right there is the problem with worrying so much about ratings.

Bottom line is VCU is probably happy with their class highlighted by Williams and Byrd and we should be happy with ours highlighted by Sal and Wojcik.

Depends on what site you use. People spend too much time worrying (complaining) about a guy's star rating. I have seen Byrd listed as a 3 star and VCU's Williams got a 4 star rating with espn and 2 star rating with 247. That inconsistency right there is the problem with worrying so much about ratings.

Bottom line is VCU is probably happy with their class highlighted by Williams and Byrd and we should be happy with ours highlighted by Sal and Wojcik.

I used the average star rating of the rating services as listed on Verbal Commits. Averages tend to eliminate the biases of individual services and get a number that is closer to reality (wisdom of the crowd). Star ratings have a large "error" at an individual player level, but on a team-wide level they are very predictive. Rhoades so far has recruited much, much worse than Shaka or Wade, and that is not a good sign for VCU's long term performance. When was the last time VCU brought in a recruit whose only offer was VCU?

Last edited:
No thanks. I like the eye test and fit much better.

Did you go scout these guys in person? Or is your eye test based on highlight videos? How much time do you spend watching high school basketball? Is your eye test more reliable than professional scouts who do this for a living?

Reactions: plydogg
I used the average star rating of the rating services as listed on Verbal Commits. Averages tend to eliminate the biases of individual services and get a number that is closer to reality (wisdom of the crowd). Star ratings have a large "error" at an individual player level, but on a team-wide level they are very predictive. Rhoades so far has recruited much, much worse than Shaka or Wade, and that is not a good sign for VCU's long term performance. When was the last time VCU brought in a recruit whose only offer was VCU?

Shaka and Wade brought in some good ones, but it is way too early to say Rhoades can't get it done. Williams and Byrd could be real good fits for them, and the others as well. My goodness, let the guys play before deciding they stink.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT