ADVERTISEMENT

VCU's New Assistant Coach: Jamal Brunt

Did you go scout these guys in person? Or is your eye test based on highlight videos? How much time do you spend watching high school basketball? Is your eye test more reliable than professional scouts who do this for a living?

Are you more reliable than a guy from espn that does this for a living and gave Williams 4 stars?

Are you more reliable than a guy from espn that does this for a living and gave Williams 4 stars?

No. I didn't give Williams any stars. I used the average of multiple experts instead of singling out the one who gave Williams the highest rating. Why defend VCU? They are our rivals you know.

Reactions: plydogg
I think Brunt will do well at VCU and will help VCU in recruiting. Part of his reason for leaving Miami might have been the FBI investigation which named Larranaga.

But overall - this will be interesting to keep an eye on. Because when Brunt left UR for Miami, I heard one of the reasons was because of the difficulty he had in recruiting at UR - that recruits were always being denied because of their academic profile. At VCU that should not be an issue so I wonder how he does there with the more relaxed standards.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
No. I didn't give Williams any stars. I used the average of multiple experts instead of singling out the one who gave Williams the highest rating. Why defend VCU? They are our rivals you know.

I am not defending VCU, just keeping it real. If they deserve to be ridiculed, I will ridicule them, but their recruiting class does not give me cause to do that. I am not going to lie about it and share a fake opinion just because they are our rivals. Every team in the A-10 would take Williams and when you can sign a PG like Byrd, you do it.

No thanks. I like the eye test and fit much better.
Well, the problem with "eye test" is that we are only looking at some kids YouTube highlight video and projecting off of that.

I prefer to look at what other college coaches are interested in a prospect. If a prospect has a bunch of quality programs after him, he has a much higher chance of being a good player at the D-1 level.

I know a lot of our Mooney supporters on here don't like to have that comparison because many of our recruits are not very highly sought after by other college coaches and the guys who are highly sought end up going to other programs versus ours.

So, then we are left looking at a 3 minute YouTube highlight video and proclaiming that they are going to be a good fit off of that.

I am not defending VCU, just keeping it real. If they deserve to be ridiculed, I will ridicule them, but their recruiting class does not give me cause to do that. I am not going to lie about it and share a fake opinion just because they are our rivals. Every team in the A-10 would take Williams and when you can sign a PG like Byrd, you do it.

My opinion is certainly not fake, and I am not lying about anything. It is pretty obvious to me that Rhoades was not VCU's first choice for head coach (which is why Wade replaced Shaka, not Rhoades). It is pretty obvious to me that Rhoades' first recruiting class for VCU is below the recent norm, their worst in probably a decade or more. It is pretty obvious to me that under Rhoades, VCU had their worst basketball season in over a decade, probably since 2001. You disagreeing with these opinions does not make them invalid.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
I was not saying your opinion was fake. I was asked why I was defending VCU, amd I responded by saying I am not going to lie and give fake opinions just because they are our rivals.

Reactions: fan2011
A lot of the stars of the 2011 team were not HIGHLY recruited except Skeen originally.

In the following years our best players were probably “2 star” recruits and are now on NBA rosters - Graham, Weber and Daniels.

Graham had one other offer I think?

All about fit and “want to”!

Rhoades had to scramble to assemble last year’s roster and still managed 18 wins with a brutal OOC schedule. Give him a full off season to recruit and cultivate the talents of this year’s returnees and I think we’ll be much improved.....

Reactions: VT4700
I was not saying your opinion was fake. I was asked why I was defending VCU, amd I responded by saying I am not going to lie and give fake opinions just because they are our rivals.

Fair enough, I misinterpreted your post. Sorry.

Shaka and Wade brought in some good ones, but it is way too early to say Rhoades can't get it done. Williams and Byrd could be real good fits for them, and the others as well. My goodness, let the guys play before deciding they stink.
So you don't just say that about our players? But their players as well? Shocking! ;)

Perhaps, he just thinks everyone is going to be great. Looks like it will be UR vs. VCU in the Final Four in three years.

I am not defending VCU, just keeping it real.

VCU-Make-It-Real.jpg

What do you think of this one: "Invent the Future," now abandoned after but a few years?

latest
I liked that one. Our new logo is stupid and the reason for changing it is even worse, and that was because the old logo was not deemed "inclusive enough" for everyone. So they added a weird little swoosh looking thing. Our new slogan is claim your role, not a huge fan of that because it sounds dumb.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT