ADVERTISEMENT

UVA's Tony Bennett is retiring

Really crazy. There can't be any reason for retiring this close to the season that is a *good* one. Health issues, program issues, personal issues? I hope it's none of those, but hard to believe it's not.

Such odd timing. Have to think he brought back Ron Sanchez as a potential successor, but that was all in place already. And the extension back in June but then waiting until right before the season to retire. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: urfan1
yeah, crazy timing. Goodman seems to be speculating that it has something to do with NIL, but I don't see it. the NIL stuff really shouldn't be all that difficult to deal with.

might be as simple as he's burnt out, and he thought he'd have the fire back by the time the season started, but he really wasn't enjoying it anymore. happens sometimes. and while the pay is great, you might look at your account and say "I really don't need more. It's not worth it to me."

yeah, crazy timing. Goodman seems to be speculating that it has something to do with NIL, but I don't see it. the NIL stuff really shouldn't be all that difficult to deal with.

might be as simple as he's burnt out, and he thought he'd have the fire back by the time the season started, but he really wasn't enjoying it anymore. happens sometimes. and while the pay is great, you might look at your account and say "I really don't need more. It's not worth it to me."

He more or less says NIL here imo without using that exact language...

If it's not health or family related, it's a pretty shitty thing to do. Bring in a bunch of new transfers and then quit a few weeks before the season starts?

Clearly he wanted to hand the job to his self-selected successor, assuming his health is fine, he wasn't banging a cheerleader and there were no imminent recruiting violations about to be announced.

Either that or he heard we had an immediate opening for a scheduler.

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT