ADVERTISEMENT

Spiders Collective-Season Preview-Oct 4

I like Walz a lot. That said, I was still hoping that Beagle would come in and be the clear number 1, as that would mean, that he is really good. That does not appear to be the case.

It is the same thing if Roche starts at the 3, over literally anyone else (GW, Descan, Tanner, frosh, AP). If Roche is our best option at the 3, than our preseason number 7 is probably a bit high.

JOC piece on Burton...roughly halfway through a 4-month rehab for a knee injury, spending a lot of time attending practices and talking with the guys. Mooney admits he was hurt by Burton's decision to leave, but that's the current landscape of things.

JOC piece on Burton...roughly halfway through a 4-month rehab for a knee injury, spending a lot of time attending practices and talking with the guys. Mooney admits he was hurt by Burton's decision to leave, but that's the current landscape of things.

Burton leaving was one of the biggest gifts Mooney could have received. He would have built last year's team around Burton and with him leaving, he was able to reconstruct, build it around King and win the A-10.

yeah, no idea how that would have worked out. I'd like to think a team with King and Burton would be awesome, but you never know. it changes so much. who's role gets slashed? Bigelow? Dji?
good multiverse question.

I tend to agree with 97 here. Burton was a very talented player, but Mooney seemed content to give him the ball at the end of the clock. He was not the closer King was, and overall I think the injection of Dji in the lineup added a super glue guy that could score when needed, but was content to share the ball. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Win, win, Burton gets his $400K or whatever, and we had a good year until we decided we fell down in post season.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Also, is anyone else a bit put off by JOC's wording here - "[Burton] was embraced - literally and figuratively - by many, many members of the Richmond community at this NIL fundraising event. That dispelled the notion he would forever be considered a disloyal outcast by UR stakeholders after graduating from the school and then using his final season of eligibility - his COVID year - at Villanova rather than Richmond."

Disloyal outcast??? That's a pretty extreme way to characterize a guy who gave us 4 solid years and took a chance to play HM-basketball for a lot of money using a year of eligibilty he only had due to a global pandemic. I don't think many, if any fans shared that "notion," and would be pretty disappointed if anyone involved with the program shared a similar sentiment with reporters. Maybe it's just JOC trying to make a story, but implying there was a chance we would turn our noses away at TB is pretty brazen.

no doubt it would have looked different & King would have scored less. But I still prefer to have as many good players like Burton as possible and run with those odds. up to the coach to figure out the mix. I do think chemistry and doing more with less is a thing in sports. But Burton was liked and it would have been coaching & strategy to get him to accept a little smaller role last year. Put me as someone who would have liked to see what it looked like. Could have been worse, but could have been a lot harder to guard us & us not falling apart end of year.

I agree MDSpider there really wasn't a notion that Burton would forever be considered a disloyal outcast by UR stakeholders. Pretty aggressive by JOC. I've never got the feeling that was in play. A tiny % of ppl who might have thought it doesn't make it a real thing. Perhaps Mooney saying he was hurt by Burton leaving contributed to JOC's wording idk.

Also patella tendon rupture tough injury. 4 months recovery seems quite fast, but hope it goes well and Burton can get going on pro career. I wonder if he signed with anyone b4 the injury? idk when normal euro contracts r signed, maybe he hadn't. but seems like those euro teams are able to move on or cancel contracts due to injury more frequently.

Also, is anyone else a bit put off by JOC's wording here - "[Burton] was embraced - literally and figuratively - by many, many members of the Richmond community at this NIL fundraising event. That dispelled the notion he would forever be considered a disloyal outcast by UR stakeholders after graduating from the school and then using his final season of eligibility - his COVID year - at Villanova rather than Richmond."

Disloyal outcast??? That's a pretty extreme way to characterize a guy who gave us 4 solid years and took a chance to play HM-basketball for a lot of money using a year of eligibilty he only had due to a global pandemic. I don't think many, if any fans shared that "notion," and would be pretty disappointed if anyone involved with the program shared a similar sentiment with reporters. Maybe it's just JOC trying to make a story, but implying there was a chance we would turn our noses away at TB is pretty brazen.
yeah, that's weird. I'd never hold a grudge against a kid who graduated here and then left.

heck, I don't even hold a grudge against a kid who leaves without graduating. I don't know their life. sometimes you've gotta do what's you think is best for you.

in Burton's case, it might have worked better for him staying here. we'll never know. but I can't blame him for taking his shot. and the rumored NIL was a lot of money.

Reactions: gospidersgo

For JOC who makes his living off the never saying anything remotely controversial about UR hoops this is an even weirder statement to make. Maybe JOC felt that was a safe space to take make some "hot" take about UR, because it is about a former player and not about Mooney or leadership. Whatever it was, no one feels that way about TB and if JOC had the pulse on UR he would know that.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I would give JOC the benefit of the doubt here. Sure, most of us on here were more than okay with Tyler's decision, but how many people is that who shared this opinion? Maybe 10-15 of us on here at the most? It's not like we have a huge message board here. So, it is very possible that JOC heard from several people whose opinion differed from ours. There will always be people out there who get on guys for transferring or leaving school early. I'm not sure it's fair to get on JOC and say "no one feels that way about TB". How would you know that?

the counter to that means that these "stakeholders" are not looking rationally at the landscape of basketball today, nor thinking about what Tyler gave to the University over 4 years or that he was a 23 year old adult when he made that decision. I understand the coach's reaction, but if others really held grudges, I don't know what to say. We hashed through it here in no time with a lot of agreement pretty quickly IIRC, mainly because we have the perspective of what Tyler gave to UR and the fact that he was essentially given a very well paid job offer that UR could not match.

Burton leaving was one of the biggest gifts Mooney could have received. He would have built last year's team around Burton and with him leaving, he was able to reconstruct, build it around King and win the A-10.
such a lazy take.....not surprising..... Last I checked burton didn't play guard and it was obvious based on the fact that Jaynel portaled that we were in the market for guards..... King committed to Richmond in April, while Burton was still going through the NBA waters.... he was not pretty his senior year, but I do believe he was fist team all A10...It wasn't his fault that Jaynel sht his pants...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT