ADVERTISEMENT

Spiders Collective-Season Preview-Oct 4

I just got back from the Collective Season Preview, and I'm really glad I went—it was definitely worth the price of a nice dinner. Writing this up quickly while it's still fresh in my mind.

The event had a great turnout, with at least 150-200 people in attendance. I arrived around 6:10 p.m. and immediately spotted Tyler Burton. Apparently, he's been in Richmond for the past six weeks, rehabbing from an injury he got during tryouts for the summer league. I didn’t catch the specifics of the injury, but it’s good to see he considers Richmond home.

Gregg Bond, one of the leaders of the Collective, kicked things off with a quick welcome. Then Coach took over to explain the plan for the night: 25 minutes of a typical practice followed by a scrimmage—Blue vs. White, two 12-minute halves. Coach introduced all the players, calling Delonnie the best captain Richmond has ever had. He also noted Mikkel’s significant playing time as a freshman and joked that he’s been recruiting Kirby since his baptism 18 years ago,

I’ve never been to a Spiders practice before, so I was really impressed by the intensity, speed, and constant movement. The noise and energy were on another level.

During both the practice and scrimmage, I took some notes to share. I’m going to keep my comments positive since it was just a single practice, but there were definitely some highlights.

Injuries:

• B. Artis was sporting a new brace and is currently rehabbing, according to Coach. He’s expected to resume practicing next week.
  • Jason Roche has recently returned to practice but isn’t quite game-ready yet.
  • Ryan Soulis participated in warmups but didn’t play in the scrimmage. No explanation was given, so I assume he’s still recovering from injury.
Player Observations

• Walz (Blue) had an outstanding night on both ends of the court. He looks as strong as ever and more confident as a junior.
  • Delonnie (White) played well, driving to the basket frequently and hitting a few threes. However, he fell hard at least three times while driving. I noticed Coach talking to him at halftime, and I wondered if he suggested taking it a bit easier.
  • Mikkel (Blue) was very physical as a freshman—now he looks like a tank. He may have been close to the leading scorer and was the primary ball handler for the Blue Team. Even if he doesn’t start, it’s clear he’ll play significant minutes.
  • Dusan (Blue) had a great game, hitting multiple threes and driving to the rim a few times. He seems to be in the running for a starting spot.
  • Jaylen (Blue) physically looks more like a junior than a freshman. He’ll be a strong rebounder and a force inside the paint, though his outside shot may still need some work.
  • Jonathan Beagle (White) was opposite Walz, and from tonight’s performance, I suspect Beagle likely will back Walz up.
  • GW III (White) missed a couple of early threes but then hit three in a row. Even if he doesn’t start, his shooting will likely earn him plenty of minutes.
  • Bryson (White) looks like a slightly smaller version of Jarin Stevenson. While he didn’t stand out much during the scrimmage, his athleticism is clear—he’s got serious ups.
  • Jack Graham (Blue) played guard, hitting two threes. He definitely looked more like a scholarship sophomore than a walk-on.
  • Apostolos (White) - not too much to report on other than he got fouled real hard in the 2nd half.
  • Collin Tanner (White) played actively and hit at least one three. He looks like he’ll contribute more than just mop-up minutes.
  • Kirby Mooney (Blue) made his first three-point attempt, and the crowd went wild.
  • Jack D'Entremont (Blue), a W&L grad transfer, had a solid night. It’ll be interesting to see how much playing time he gets.
(I might be off for a few folks in terms of Blue/White above)

The Blue team got off to a fast start and was up by 15 at halftime. The White team made a late comeback, but Blue held on to win by six.

After the scrimmage, there was a reception upstairs. Coach spoke again and thanked Paul Queally and his wife, who were present, for the top-notch facility. Delonnie then gave a pep talk, thanking everyone for their support. The players hung out and chatted with many of us.

Great night - Go Spiders.

Last edited:
I just got back from the Collective Season Preview, and I'm really glad I went—it was definitely worth the price of a nice dinner. Writing this up quickly while it's still fresh in my mind.

The event had a great turnout, with at least 150-200 people in attendance. I arrived around 6:10 p.m. and immediately spotted Tyler Burton. Apparently, he's been in Richmond for the past six weeks, rehabbing from an injury he got during tryouts for the summer league. I didn’t catch the specifics of the injury, but it’s good to see he considers Richmond home.

Gregg Bond, one of the leaders of the Collective, kicked things off with a quick welcome. Then Coach took over to explain the plan for the night: 25 minutes of a typical practice followed by a scrimmage—Blue vs. White, two 12-minute halves. Coach introduced all the players, calling Delonnie the best captain Richmond has ever had. He also noted Mikkel’s significant playing time as a freshman and joked that he’s been recruiting Kirby since his baptism 18 years ago,

I’ve never been to a Spiders practice before, so I was really impressed by the intensity, speed, and constant movement. The noise and energy were on another level.

During both the practice and scrimmage, I took some notes to share. I’m going to keep my comments positive since it was just a single practice, but there were definitely some highlights.

Injuries:

• B. Artis was sporting a new brace and is currently rehabbing, according to Coach. He’s expected to resume practicing next week. KNEE EXTENDED EXPECTED BACK IN 2 WEEKS.
  • Jason Roche has recently returned to practice but isn’t quite game-ready yet. TOLD WILL LIKELY BE READY.
  • Ryan Soulis participated in warmups but didn’t play in the scrimmage. No explanation was given, so I assume he’s still recovering from injury. HE TOLD ME 2 WEEKS.
Player Observations

• Walz (Blue) had an outstanding night on both ends of the court. He looks as strong as ever and more confident as a junior. PLAYED 18 MINS, 4/6- 3PT 0/2 FT 1/1 2 RBS 2 FOULS
  • Delonnie (White) played well, driving to the basket frequently and hitting a few threes. However, he fell hard at least three times while driving. I noticed Coach talking to him at halftime, and I wondered if he suggested taking it a bit easier. PLAYED 23 MINS, 5/8 3 PT 3/6 FT 5/8 2 R/ 4 F
  • Mikkel (Blue) was very physical as a freshman—now he looks like a tank. He may have been close to the leading scorer and was the primary ball handler for the Blue Team. Even if he doesn’t start, it’s clear he’ll play significant minutes. PLAYED 22 MINS 5/13, 1/5 3PT, 0/0 FT, 3R, 2 F.
  • Dusan (Blue) had a great game, hitting multiple threes and driving to the rim a few times. He seems to be in the running for a starting spot. PLAYED 18 MINS5/12, 3 PT 3.9, 0 FT, 5R, 3F.
  • Jaylen (Blue) physically looks more like a junior than a freshman. He’ll be a strong rebounder and a force inside the paint, though his outside shot may still need some work. PLAYED 13.5 MINS, 2/3, 0/1 3PT, 5R, 3 F,
  • Jonathan Beagle (White) was opposite Walz, and from tonight’s performance, I suspect Beagle likely will back Walz up. PLAYED 20,5 MINS, 3/9, 3PT 0/1, FT 0/2, 5R 1F.
  • GW III (White) missed a couple of early threes but then hit three in a row. Even if he doesn’t start, his shooting will likely earn him plenty of minutes. PLAYED 16.5 MINS, 3/5, 3 PI 3/50/0 FT, 1R, 4 F.
  • Bryson (White) looks like a slightly smaller version of Jarin Stevenson. While he didn’t stand out much during the scrimmage, his athleticism is clear—he’s got serious ups. PLYED 11 MINS, 0/2, 3PT 0/2, 2R, 2F
  • Jack Graham (Blue) played guard, hitting two threes. He definitely looked more like a scholarship sophomore than a walk-on. PLAYED 20 MINS, 2.3, 3PT 2/2, 3/4 FY, 4R, 0 F.
  • Apostolos (White) - not too much to report on other than he got fouled real hard in the 2nd half. PLAYED 19 MINS, 1/5, 0/3 3 PT, 0/ FT, 9R, 3F
  • Collin Tanner (White) played actively and hit at least one three. He looks like he’ll contribute more than just mop-up minutes. PLAYED 21 MINS, 2/8, 3PT 1/4, 0/0 FT, 5R, 4F.
  • Kirby Mooney (Blue) made his first three-point attempt, and the crowd went wild. PLAYED 11 MINS 1/2, 3PT1/2, 0/0 FT, 0R, 1F
  • Jack D'Entremont (Blue), a W&L grad transfer, had a solid night. It’ll be interesting to see how much playing time he gets. PLAYED 18 MINS, 0/4, 3PT 0/2, 0/0 FY, 5R, 2 F.
LIAM (WHITE) PLAYED 9 MINS 1/1, 3PT 1/1, 0/0FT, 1R, 2 F
(I might be off for a few folks in terms of Blue/White above)

The Blue team got off to a fast start and was up by 15 at halftime. The White team made a late comeback, but Blue held on to win by six.

After the scrimmage, there was a reception upstairs. Coach spoke again and thanked Paul Queally and his wife, who were present, for the top-notch facility. Delonnie then gave a pep talk, thanking everyone for their support. The players hung out and chatted with many of us.

Great night - Go Spiders.
Agree with much if above, SEE MY ADDITIONS IN CAPS ABOVE, ALL MINS ARE ROUNDED, I WOULD SAY RUST WAS OBVIOUS. THINK WE WILL BE GOOD. LOTS OF POSITIVES.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
What do people get when they pay $1,000 or more to attend an affair with some narcissistic
politician? At least the money is going to young men trying to move on up in their world, and
not buy it (until NIL contracts come around- lol)
Think about how much money is spent on campaigns- a real waste. I’d prefer to help the
players and the school.

You are basically outlining the old Spider Club killed by the Athletic Dept/school.
The intergenerational excitement outside the Chattanooga stadium will never be replicated under the big hat no cattle athletic dept.
The ending of the Spider Club was a big “ get lost” to longtime supporters who enjoyed the camaraderie of fellow Spiders.

Yeah the thought crossed my mind too when I read it. The changes/elimination of the old Spider Club stunk imo. The tailgate in Nooga was the best UR one I ever attended. To be expected on some level given the stakes.

Also tremendous use of “big hat no cattle”

LIAM (WHITE) PLAYED 9 MINS 1/1, 3PT 1/1, 0/0FT, 1R, 2 F

Agree with much if above, SEE MY ADDITIONS IN CAPS ABOVE, ALL MINS ARE ROUNDED, I WOULD SAY RUST WAS OBVIOUS. THINK WE WILL BE GOOD. LOTS OF POSITIVES.

Thank you section9 for detailed report & urfan1 for additional context & stats. Was the scrimmage faster paced than normal for us? Without seeing it feels that way based on # of shots going up in two 12-min halves. But for this kind of fan event that’s probably normal.

Thank you section9 for detailed report & urfan1 for additional context & stats. Was the scrimmage faster paced than normal for us? Without seeing it feels that way based on # of shots going up in two 12-min halves. But for this kind of fan event that’s probably normal.
It appeared to me we wee pushing the ball on both teams.

Does not seem like any of our "wings" really separated themselves in this setting anyway. Unless Dusan is going to play more wing than big forward ( I know, no positions :)). My belief is that Dusan has the skill level, but not sure quickness to guard a "third guard" or quick wing? Anyway, good to hear he looked good. This also leads me to think about 4700`s lineup with GW3 being a third guard.
I do believe that Graham and D`Entremont are not your typical walk on level players. As we see from the team pictures D`Entremont has some good size, and a 5th year college player very accomplished at lower level. And Graham was a D1 commit, last season in limited time the game seemed a little fast for him, but a year later I bet he can contribute some if needed.

Seemed fast paced and more physical that I expected for a scrimmage … some relatively hard fouls in fact

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT