ADVERTISEMENT

UAB shutting down football it's official

Re: UAB likely shutting down football

Looks pretty definite. Early word is Liberty might be the choice instead of JMU.

Originally posted by One putt:
Looks pretty definite. Early word is Liberty might be the choice instead of JMU.
If this happens, it would be the ultimate one-two-three punch to JMU's gut. First they spend a ton of money to ensure they get a home game instead of Liberty. Then they lose the game to Liberty anyway and are eliminated. Then they get passed over for a I-A bid by Liberty. I really hope this happens...

This post was edited on 12/1 1:58 PM by Eight Legger

Wasn't Bowling Green making the same noise when Clawson arrived, alums stepped in and put up some money. Now, I think they've won their division in the MAC a few years in a row now.

don't know about bgsu but know that if the money men step forward uab will continue football, if not, basketball will be the flagship, as it really has been for years.

Large number of Juco's, CC's and transfers on that roster

Doubt they have enough donors with the kind of deep pockets they need. I think they are losing something like $35M a year right now. Sucks for the coaching staff, most of which is in its first year there after coming from Jacksonville State in FCS last year.

most schools have some big donors though some are not athletic boosters. bet uab has some but whether they will step up for this project who knows. UR has a multi-billionaire alum who gives nothing, not in his culture, just the way it works. most football programs outside the power five conferences bleed money, an expensive endeavor.

According to the NCAA Revenue/Expense Division I Report, in 2013, 69 FBS schools had a median net profit of $12,926,000 in football and 54 had a median net loss of $3,818,000, but only 20 of these schools showed a profit in their overall athletic budgets. These 20 schools had a median net profit of $6,839,000 while 83 schools had a median net loss of $14,904,000.

In 2013, one FCS school reported a net profit of $531,000 in football; the remaining 125 schools reported a median net loss of $1,971,000; no FCS school reported a profit in its overall athletic budget and the median net loss was $10,833,000.

No matter how you look at it athletics for most schools is an expensive proposition.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D1REVEXP2013.pdf

I wonder how much money UR does lose on athletics. I mean the University has an endowment set up for athletics and specifically to endow each football scholarship. So does the income from that $200M endowment show up in the ledger sheet? That would be approximately $10M out of our $22M budget. Adding in all the income from Basketball (TV, NCAA, tickets & concessions), Football ticket & concession revenue and Spider Club giving, do we come close to breaking even?

when the campaign started back in the 80s to fund football scholarships, the goal, if i remember correctly, was $50 million and not sure where the $200 million figure comes from but cannot say it is wrong or right. would say we are not even close to breaking even, just not enough income to offset all of the expenses. if only 20 total schools make a profit when looking at the entire athletic program, WOW. as we all know, the "pea" can be hidden pretty well so not sure it those figures include all of the donations for season tix seats and for priority parking and the like are taken into consideration. there could be a lot of funky accounting going on and we would never know.

For what it's worth, according to the "Methodology" section of the NCAA Report the income (generated revenue) used to derive the above figures only consists of "those revenues earned by activities of the athletics programs" it does not include "direct institutional support, indirect institutional support, student fees (or) direct governmental support."

I read that differently. I looked at Median Total Revenue less Median Total Expenses and got:

FBS $20,330,000 loss
FCS $10,700,000 loss
None $11,595,000 loss

If we're talking about the football scholarship endowment push in the early '80s, that was a $5 million campaign. Robins added another $2 million. Obviously the pot would have grown since then, but would still be a drop in the bucket.

To fully endow 63 scholarships at a 5% annual expenditure rate would require an endowment of roughly $72.5 million.

GEEZ, was it really $5 mill SF, guess with inflation, just can't keep track of zeros any longer. think our costs back then were about $15,000 as opposed to the $55,000 or whatever currently. whatever the amount now, it does help with the athletic budget but we still have to be bleeding big time just like everyone else.

When Chuck Boone retired in 2000, it was said he had raised over $60M for our athletic endowment. If it grew at 7.5% compounding, which I think might be about right, then the athletic endowment would be around $165M, which is what a little less than I had heard it was. It would be interesting to see how much our general endowment grew from 2000 until today. It looks like we were around $850M to today about $2.2B.

urmite your figures could be right because this Report is difficult to follow and because, as Spinner says, it's easy to spin numbers.

My figures with regard to overall FBS athletic department revenue come from pages 12 and 13 of the Report where it is said that out of 123 FBS schools:

• A total of 20 FBS athletics programs reported positive net generated
revenues in 2013. This is a decrease from 23 in both 2011 and 2012.
(3.5)
The median net generated revenues for those surplus programs was
$8,839,000 in 2012 and $8,449,000 in 2013, while the median
net deficit for the remaining programs was $14,645,000 in 2012
and $14,904,000 in 2013.

My figures with regard to net income and losses from FBS football come from the following Table on page 29:

NET GENERATED REVENUES BY PROGRAM
DIVISION I - FBS
Fiscal Years 2004 through 2013

Generated Revenues Exceed Expenses Expenses Exceed Generated Revenues

Number Percent Median Net Number Percent Negative Net
Reporting of Total Revenue Reporting of Total Revenue

Football 69 56% 12,926,000 54 44% 3,818,000
(Table 3.6)

My figure with regard to the 2013 FCS athletic department loss comes from page 14 where it says:

• As in previous years, no FCS athletics programs reported net
generated revenues in 2013. The median negative net generated
revenue (expenses in excess of generated revenues) in 2013 was
$10,219,000 and $10,833,000 in 2013. The net losses have increased
fairly steadily over the ten - year period. (4.5)

My figure with regard to FCS football net income and losses also comes from page 14 where it says:

• Only 1.0 percent of football, 3.0 percent of men’s basketball
programs, and 0.0 percent of women’s basketball programs reported
net generated revenues (surpluses) for 2013, which was consistent
with recent years. These net generated revenues were minimal,
however the median losses for the remaining programs in 2013
are $1,971,000 for football, $811,000 for men’s basketball, and
$932,000 for women’s basketball. (4.6)

Please excuse the spacing here but I cant figure out how to edit the quoted material.

This post was edited on 12/2 7:33 PM by jrspider

This post was edited on 12/2 7:47 PM by jrspider

This post was edited on 12/2 8:02 PM by jrspider

at least they are being fair by cutting back on their bowling and rifle teams.
uzi.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT