ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

That reads like either a heavily edited Q&A (in which case it should be labeled that way) or an emailed one. If it were in person or on Zoom, it would have been very awkward if those were the verbatim answers.

The rest of the Q&A:

Has there ever been a time in your life when you had to overcome a significant obstacle and do something that you didn't really want to do?
Yes. Right now.

What can you tell us about how you expect your starting lineup to look in November?
It will have five players.

Do you like me?
No.

When do you expect the concourse renovations at the Robins Center to begin and to be completed?
At some point later than today.

Last year, the A-10 sent only one team to the NCAA tournament for the first time in many years. Given the changes in the collegiate landscape, the impact of NIL and the changes to transfer rules that have created an ever-growing list of players shifting schools each offseason, how would you characterize the current landscape of college basketball specifically in this league, which you have been a part of for almost two decades now and that once was sending three or more teams to the tournament every year?
Too long, didn't read.

Did you read that article I wrote about Anna Camden of the women's team?
No.

What do you call a person with no body and no nose?
Nobody knows.

When I say 'Richmond,' you say...
'Hates you.'

Who is the next former player of yours you intend to hire to your staff?
@#*^! you.

Last edited:
I wonder if Mooney was another 10 years older, would he go the route of Jay Wright and turn away from coaching college basketball as it exists today? We know that building through the transfer portal is not his style, and it clearly seems like he isn't very into the entire NIL thing as well...

Reactions: SpiderK
I wonder if Mooney was another 10 years older, would he go the route of Jay Wright and turn away from coaching college basketball as it exists today? We know that building through the transfer portal is not his style, and it clearly seems like he isn't very into the entire NIL thing as well...
I think this interview confirms exactly my stated belief that NIL & Portal will be the end of Mooney. You can feel an edginess to his comments for the interview.

The college game as it currently stands will further highlight Mooney's "areas of needed improvement." I firmly believe that it is only a matter of time before he pulls the plug. Who knows whether that will be 2-years, 7-years, or whatever, he gets to choose at Richmond.

Time will tell, but i think many of us will agree that he is not, and likely will not, adjust adequately to the rapidly changing landscape.

I'm sorry, but Mooney appears totally clueless in this JOC interview...was taken by surprise that Tyler elected to transfer, says we have an NIL but doesn't know why it hasn't been made public, etc.

Some of his brief, unhelpful responses I could chalk up to being text messages or something, but other responses are a paragraph long.

This is like exhibit 52A in Mooney being terrible engaging with the media. Good lord, is he e-mailing his responses back to JOC. Does he not have time in his day to pick up and engage our main local media reporter?

My two main takeaways.

1. How in the eff is the head coach taken by surprise when his best player portals him in mid May. My god, are you not talking with Tyler on a regular basis. It appears not or he does not have a very clsoe relationship with Tyler. If I'm the coach, I'm checking in with Tyler regularly, telling we want him back, what can we do to bring you back.
2. Mooney has a visceral hatred for JOC. Jesus, that is painful to read.

Ask yourself, if you are a recruit or a parent of a recruit, would you want you kid to come play for Mooney. He comes across as surly, not very connected with his players, and unapproachable.

This is like exhibit 52A in Mooney being terrible engaging with the media. Good lord, is he e-mailing his responses back to JOC. Does he not have time in his day to pick up and engage our main local media reporter?

My two main takeaways.

1. How in the eff is the head coach taken by surprise when his best player portals him in mid May. My god, are you not talking with Tyler on a regular basis. It appears not or he does not have a very clsoe relationship with Tyler. If I'm the coach, I'm checking in with Tyler regularly, telling we want him back, what can we do to bring you back.
2. Mooney has a visceral hatred for JOC. Jesus, that is painful to read.

Ask yourself, if you are a recruit or a parent of a recruit, would you want you kid to come play for Mooney. He comes across as surly, not very connected with his players, and unapproachable.
1. Well, Tyler probably had no thoughts at all he would be transferring until mid May, so why should Mooney magically know this?

2. Doesn't seem this way in pre and post game interviews when he is answering his questions and joking with him at times.

3. I Would 100% be fine with my kids playing for Mooney, past, present, and future. He is a player's coach, does things the right way, cares about them going to class, and graduates his players. Why not ask SDad what he thinks? This will be Dji's 4th year here. Are you criticizing Dji and his Dad for their decision? Jacob? Grant? TJ? ShawnDre? And so many more. Criticizing them too?

4. I know one thing. If I played here, I sure wouldn't want 100% negative every single day fans like you supporting me.

Oh boy. The interview was not as bad as I expected. And I understand the demoralizing impact this is having on Moon, like the rest of us. BUT I would expect the HC to show some leadership, he just seems so lost, so lost and uninspiring. Oh well. I am not getting all bent out of shape about this program anymore. Going to hope we have a good season, but no expectations.

1. Well, Tyler probably had no thoughts at all he would be transferring until mid May, so why should Mooney magically know this?

2. Doesn't seem this way in pre and post game interviews when he is answering his questions and joking with him at times.

3. I Would 100% be fine with my kids playing for Mooney, past, present, and future. He is a player's coach, does things the right way, cares about them going to class, and graduates his players. Why not ask SDad what he thinks? This will be Dji's 4th year here. Are you criticizing Dji and his Dad for their decision? Jacob? Grant? TJ? ShawnDre? And so many more. Criticizing them too?

4. I know one thing. If I played here, I sure wouldn't want 100% negative every single day fans like you supporting me.
You really believe Tyler just woke up one morning in May and said you know what I'm going to transfer?

You really believe Tyler just woke up one morning in May and said you know what I'm going to transfer?
After it became obvious he wasn't going to be drafted or have any immediate pro future in the US beyond the G League, if that? Yes, after a day or two to think about it he and his advisor probably figured he can make more money at Villanova, or some other school, than he can being on the very fringe of US professional basketball, his present location.

He's not an NBA player. Wasn't even invited to the combine. So yes, he decided to enter the portal, see who is interested and see how much anyone is willing to pay.

Reactions: coach fezz
no, but I think it's entirely likely that he woke up one morning in May and for the 1st time told Mooney that the NBA option isn't currently working out and he was going to enter the portal to see what opportunities he has.

I feel like after the NBA started to fall apart, he got a call from under the sea or outer space…

Whatever you want to call Neptune….

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Yes. Why wait so long if he knew? What sense does that make? Why limit yourself and wait around while so many other programs filled their spots?

But was he limited? So many teams have slots & it sounded like great options & went to essentially a basketball blue blood.

Moon did seem a bit surprised tho idk why it was highly speculated on here he could transfer since end of season or b4 even. Always a decent possibility but maybe moon had as last option.

I agree that interview isn’t reflective of caring for players but don’t think Dji dad is going to be your defender of Moon. also agree w 97 it was another example of poor media relations. He was curt & annoyed tho perhaps rightfully so w the NIL crap.

Where is the “thank you Tyler for all your contributions” etc many said was coming? This felt like chance to work in.

But was he limited? So many teams have slots & it sounded like great options & went to essentially a basketball blue blood.

Moon did seem a bit surprised tho idk why it was highly speculated on here he could transfer since end of season or b4 even. Always a decent possibility but maybe moon had as last option.

I agree that interview isn’t reflective of caring for players but don’t think Dji dad is going to be your defender of Moon. also agree w 97 it was another example of poor media relations. He was curt & annoyed tho perhaps rightfully so w the NIL crap.

Where is the “thank you Tyler for all your contributions” etc many said was coming? This felt like chance to work in.
Not saying Tyler did not have options, but transfers will always have less options in May than April. Just seems a little silly to get on Mooney for not knowing Tyler would transfer, but typical on here. As if Tyler would say in April, "Coach, I am testing the NBA stuff again, but if that doesn't work out, I am transferring". I wasn't asking SDad to defend Mooney. Just responding to 97 saying how could any kid want to play for Mooney, or any parent of a kid want their kid to play for Mooney.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
From that interview, I do agree with Mooney about decreased interest in college sports due to all the transfer movement. Much harder for me to get interested when I know half the guys on the team won’t be on the team next year.

As for Tyler’s transfer being a surprise, I agree with others who have said that Neptune probably put out feelers to Tyler before he was sure he was transferring. Former A10 coach who coached against Tyler, and definitely has enough connections to indirectly let Tyler know, “hey, if the nba doesn’t work out, Villanova might be willing to pay you very well to play there.” If NIL rules stay the way they are, this will happen more and more.

Not saying Tyler did not have options, but transfers will always have less options in May than April. Just seems a little silly to get on Mooney for not knowing Tyler would transfer, but typical on here. As if Tyler would say in April, "Coach, I am testing the NBA stuff again, but if that doesn't work out, I am transferring". I wasn't asking SDad to defend Mooney. Just responding to 97 saying how could any kid want to play for Mooney, or any parent of a kid want their kid to play for Mooney.

Fwiw I kinda think might be better for highest level transfers like Burton to wait. At worst a push. Easier in many ways, it’s more attention if u want it, & u r never lacking for schools. For lower or mid level transfers I agree u want to get into portal early.

Fwiw I kinda think might be better for highest level transfers like Burton to wait. At worst a push. Easier in many ways, it’s more attention if u want it, & u r never lacking for schools. For lower or mid level transfers I agree u want to get into portal early.
I see your point, and it maybe could be better at times, but if you are thinking you have a top 5 in your mind in April, a few of those top 5, and maybe even all of them, might not have spots anymore, or might have one spot and could be looking at a different position. But, back to my point, it is ridiculous to think Mooney should know what Tyler will do when I doubt Tyler knew.

Reactions: urfan1
Problem is, it seems like Mooney thought Burton would either turn pro or come back. He acted shocked that he transferred, at least from what we can read into that Q&A, which maybe is asking a lot. I don't think anyone could be shocked by that, and certainly our coach shouldn't have been.

I see your point, and it maybe could be better at times, but if you are thinking you have a top 5 in your mind in April, a few of those top 5, and maybe even all of them, might not have spots anymore, or might have one spot and could be looking at a different position. But, back to my point, it is ridiculous to think Mooney should know what Tyler will do when I doubt Tyler knew.

That was 97 point u r responding to not mine. we'll probably never know when Burton knew or what he told Moon. But I'll say I do get 97's point that it is Moon's job to have his finger on pulse of his players. sounds like maybe he didn't. who knows bc Moon was so po'd having to answer a few expected questions. But remember the rumor mill re: Burton going portaling was weeks before he announced, typically that means rumors etc. amongst the team & staff come b4 social media rumblings, so this was likely in the works for a while. I heard Nova was done deal the day he announced, & we know that doesn't happen in a day. fwiw I recall him saying ododa transfer took him by surprise too. Unless that was Fore but pretty sure Ododa.

There were only 3 options - go pro, transfer or come back. & coming back always seemed the least likely. But maybe the last two were reversed by Mooney and coming back was higher on his own probability scale. Our recruiting or lackthereof indicates as much. We have only 2 forwards with more than a year of eligibility. Noyes who is thin and has barely touched the floor. And Walz a developmental project who has barely seen the floor. the uncertainty of Burton return probably hurt that recruiting tho I know u disputed that in past.

Problem is, it seems like Mooney thought Burton would either turn pro or come back. He acted shocked that he transferred, at least from what we can read into that Q&A, which maybe is asking a lot. I don't think anyone could be shocked by that, and certainly our coach shouldn't have been.
Where did you hear him say he thought he might come back? Here is exactly what he said: "I was anticipating that he would play professionally in the G League, the NBA, or overseas." So, he was probably surprised he transferred, just like he probably would have been surprised had he come back to Richmond.

There’s no reason not to have a transfer forward identified with two spots open. Tyler’s status doesn’t change the need, it does change the pitch the coaches make.

I don’t pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes between a coach and a player in this situation but it certainly feels like CM was caught flat footed.

Where did you hear him say he thought he might come back? Here is exactly what he said: "I was anticipating that he would play professionally in the G League, the NBA, or overseas." So, he was probably surprised he transferred, just like he probably would have been surprised had he come back to Richmond.
Isn’t that an argument that he should have been pushing harder to replace him then?

Isn’t that an argument that he should have been pushing harder to replace him then?
Sure, and who said we didn't? For one thing, there are a lot more guards than 6'7 Tyler types out there. And, for everytime we sell what our roster would be without Tyler to a transfer, can't another team tell him, why go there, what happens if Burton comes back? It works both ways.

And, just because teams have a need, it doesn't mean it gets automatically filled. Does every team that loses a transfer big or PG, or, in our case, a 6'7 forward, just automatically find another one? All this over a Q and A with JOC? Mooney answered some questions, and people on here not only got bothered by what he said, but took it to another level and turned this into how he answered meant he didn't know enough about his players?? It's unreal what is said on here each and every day.

I will add that while we might have tried and maybe are still trying to add a forward, there is also the possibility that Mooney is ready to give Noyes and Tanner some good minutes this year, and some of the guys in the portal would not take their minutes away anyway?

Last edited:
There’s no reason not to have a transfer forward identified with two spots open. Tyler’s status doesn’t change the need, it does change the pitch the coaches make.

I don’t pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes between a coach and a player in this situation but it certainly feels like CM was caught flat footed.
Isn't it possible that Tyler in April could have already mentioned to Mooney and the staff he was done with college? In his mind, maybe he was? Then, maybe he didn't realize what he could get with NIL by transferring until later on?

Isn't it possible that Tyler in April could have already mentioned to Mooney and the staff he was done with college? In his mind, maybe he was? Then, maybe he didn't realize what he could get with NIL by transferring until later on?
Yes of course. Not sure how you’re interpreting my point, which is we know we’ve got the spots open, so I’m presuming we are recruiting hard to fill it. Someone earlier was suggesting we may not have been because of a belief/hope he was coming back.

That only changes the sales pitch, not the need.

And to your other point, it’s definitely possible that CM feels fine with either noyes or tanner. I don’t hate that. Just a pretty big question mark about whom is likely to step into that spot.

Reactions: VT4700
I will add that while we might have tried and maybe are still trying to add a forward, there is also the possibility that Mooney is ready to give Noyes and Tanner some good minutes this year, and some of the guys in the portal would not take their minutes away anyway?

Isn’t Tanner a guard? A big guard but still a guard.

I believe Tyler tried his hardest last season and probably rightfully thinking wouldn’t get over the hump this year. He could have easily jumped ship last season thinking of only himself.

Went to the best school resembling the likes of Richmond. Just think of it in MLB baseball terms. Richmond is the AAA club while Nova is the big league one.
Not interested in a minor league team. That's the main reason I follow our basketball team way more than our football team.

that's noble of you. everyone makes their own choices.

to me he was a great Spider. he stayed 4 years and got his degree. he played all 40 and put up 18 and 11 in a huge tournament win. now has the opportunity to play on a bigger stage. Nova's a better program in a better conference. it gives him the best chance at his dream of playing in the NBA. if I'm him, I have to take that shot. the safe move is staying at UR where he's comfortable. sometimes you have to be uncomfortable.
It's not about being comfortable or not. Certainly it's good to be uncomfortable sometimes. This, however, is about loyalty. I love my school. Period. There is no other.

How about if you were a low D1 coach making about $100,000 and got offered about $750,000 a year elsewhere? Would you stay at your school and "help them get to the next level"? Should coaches never move up? What about G league guys? Should they stay with their teammates in the G league and not take more money in the NBA? Or, players from a much lesser conference than the A-10? Those teams, like us and most other teams, are also "trying to get to the next level". Should they all always just stay at their schools regardless?
Short answer.. if they are loyal, they would stay. Coaches are not the same by any means as players. Coaches are there for a job. Big difference between that and passion for the school you chose. Really sad that's being lost because of money. Student athletes earn scholarships. That should be their pay. Hate the direction this is going.

It's not about being comfortable or not. Certainly it's good to be uncomfortable sometimes. This, however, is about loyalty. I love my school. Period. There is no other.
When Tyler committed to the Spiders he committed to play 4 years. Partway through all players were given an extra year. He fulfilled his 4 year commitment and decided to pursue an additional challenge. I don’t care if Nova paid him a million dollars or 10 dollars.

What you’re asking for is more similar to indentured servitude. Which is famously not loyalty.

When Tyler committed to the Spiders he committed to play 4 years. Partway through all players were given an extra year. He fulfilled his 4 year commitment and decided to pursue an additional challenge. I don’t care if Nova paid him a million dollars or 10 dollars.

What you’re asking for is more similar to indentured servitude. Which is famously not loyalty.
100% agreed - tired of hearing about anyone griping about TB's decision .. absurd

The tone of the interview suggested he was very surprised that Tyler would transfer.
Does Mooney sound like he is excited to be answering those questions? One word answers to several questions. Geez, it's not like Mooney has 50 different media outlets beating down his door everyday and he is too busy to answer them all. Why is he responding to JOC via e-mail? They can't pick up the phone, have a zoom call or heaven forbid invite JOC over to the RC. Tell him what our plans are to fill the 3 remaining slots vs just saying yes we are still recruiting. I mean, no effing shit, you are still recruiting, you had better be.

This was the one status update on our program by our local for the past few months and that is how he chose to respond to it. I don't think it was a great response and frankly I think you have to wear some damn rosy glasses to say, yeah, that is how we want our coach responding to the media.

Did you feel excited about that status update from the head coach after that interview, I sure didn't. I felt demoralized. We lost our best player seeming by surprise, we are behind on the NIL, we think the NIL is going to hurt us recruiting wise, but yet our head coach doesn't much about our NIL because that is not in his bailiwick of duties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT